PDA

View Full Version : Help, dear quilty friends!

SallyO'Sews
July 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Okay, this is for those of you who either do sewing for children, or have little ones in your house...

I am making sundresses for my three GDD's ages 9, 4, and 2. I was able to pick up some adorable fabric for only $5/yd. It's the kind with a border print on one selvage, and about 6 inches of elasticized shirring on the other side. So all you have to do is cut it and stitch one seam up the back or the side, hem the bottom, and add straps, which I made from the part I cut off for the hem.

Problem is that I have no idea how long to cut the straps. I'm planning to sew buttons on the inside of the top edge of the back and put buttonholes on the straps, so they'll be adjustable as the girls grow, but I'm seriously in need of figuring out how long to cut them. I would ask my DIL to measure, but I'm hoping to surprise them all (and they live in another state, so I can't do it myself).

Anybody got a pattern you can look at, or a kid you can measure for me? What I need is the length from about an inch below the collarbone over the shoulder to the same distance down the back. Not at all sure that makes any sense, but I have a LOT of confidence in my quilty sisters and brothers!

Thanks so much! Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

K. McEuen
July 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM
Honestly, what I would do is make two longer spaghetti straps that you can tie at the shoulders. That's how I used to make dresses like that for my daughter when she was small. BTW, that fabric works up nicely, especially when you french seam that one seam in the dress. I always liked that extra protection to help hold all that cut elastic in, plus it gives it a nice finish.

Other than that, maybe when Lorie sees this she's have a measurement to go by since she sold sundresses on Etsy.

laf512
July 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM
I have three kids..ages 8, 5, and 2 so I will measure after naps/quiet time are over and get you the measurements if you don't have them yet. My 8yo is tall for her age and my 5yo is small for his age so they should match up pretty good to the sizes you are needing. Feel free to pm me if I forget to get back with you!

quilter.martha
July 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM
I also would make strips that can be tied together.

laf512
July 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM
Ok. Here is what I measured for my kiddos:

8yo - 6"
5yo - 5.5"
2yo - 5"

Hope that helps. I will say that my older two kids are super skinny so average kids might need another 1/2 - 1" longer straps.

Grandma G
July 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM
Honestly, what I would do is make two longer spaghetti straps that you can tie at the shoulders. That's how I used to make dresses like that for my daughter when she was small. BTW, that fabric works up nicely, especially when you french seam that one seam in the dress. I always liked that extra protection to help hold all that cut elastic in, plus it gives it a nice finish.

Other than that, maybe when Lorie sees this she's have a measurement to go by since she sold sundresses on Etsy.

Ah, clever girl. I have two small GDs and saw that same material at Hancock's Fabric last week for 50% off. Couldn't figure out the best way to do straps so didn't buy the fabric. Now I know, thanks to you. I'm going back to Hancock's on Wednesday and hope they still have some left.

Sally - glad you asked that question!

Thanks all.

kensington
July 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
You could have the momma measure them while they are sleeping, like Laf said. It appears from your post that you will fasten them to a flap in the front, and one in the back. So, ties behind the neck won't work, as the flap in the back will still be flapping? Your making a jumper or pinafore syle dress, with two straps that connect to the back and fasten in the front with buttons?

PS... I did this one year... I measured my boys who were the same age as my nieces. LOL.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
I heard my name. lol I do shirred straps so that wouldn't of helped. But I do have a lot of patterns, but it looks like you got some help :)

I have a pattern where you sew the strap to the inside front and for the back there is a row of button holes for growing. That would go on the inside. There is a popular style on etsy where you sew the strap on the inside back, put a button hole on the front and feed the strap through and make a knot. I feel some people make them to wide and chunky so I haven't used it yet.

ilive2craft2
July 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM
I bought some of this fabric too for my 4 yr old great niece, but haven't even gotten a chest measurement from mom yet - I think I asked a couple of months ago. We will all be together for the 4th, so I may just take this and my serger with me. I thought I would just serge the seam, just not sure how big around to make it... Do you have a consistent amount under their measurement to use? With straps it could be a little looser than if just using the elastic to hold it in place. I may have to figure out some straps for this too...

I am so glad you posted your question! :)

Grandma G
July 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
I heard my name. lol I do shirred straps so that wouldn't of helped. But I do have a lot of patterns, but it looks like you got some help :)

I have a pattern where you sew the strap to the inside front and for the back there is a row of button holes for growing. That would go on the inside. There is a popular style on etsy where you sew the strap on the inside back, put a button hole on the front and feed the strap through and make a knot. I feel some people make them to wide and chunky so I haven't used it yet.

Oh, I love that idea, too. That dress is just too cute!!

SallyO'Sews
July 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
See? I knew my quilty sisters would come through!! Thanks sew much, everyone, for the suggestions.
Lori, I will use your measurements - my DGD age 9 is rail-thin, so everything should be perfect!
Lorie, I'm doing the dresses as you describe - straps are sewn to the front and button on the inside of the back. I do like the photo from Etsy, but am wondering how hard it would be to put a buttonhole on fabric that's already got the elastic shirring in it. I could do the spaghetti strap thing, or even use 1/2" grosgrain ribbon, but that would involve going back to the fabric store. I can't get there tonight after work, and I'd really like to be able to ship these things tomorrow, as two of the DGD's have birthdays in the next week or so!

I will post pics when I get done, hopefully tonight!! Thanks again, everyone!

Blessings & hugs all around, ~ Sally \0/

toggpine
July 2nd, 2013, 04:42 AM
Wow! We must all be working on the same fabrics!
I think if you use some interfacing or fabric with wonder-under to back the button holes it might not be too bad. I'd expand the elastic out before clamping down the buttonhole foot thingie. I may give that a try once I can come up with the right strap fabric.

I serged the seams on both of the ones I did tonight. I used the 4 thread overlock, so that's like a double seam on a regular machine.
On the larger piece I seamed the skirt together, but the top, shirred elastic part will need to be over lapped by about 3 inches to make it fit. That one I ran a rolled hem along the edges before seaming. I can use a regular stitch to sew the elasticky parts together and next summer, I can let out the overlap.