PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday, It's July 1 !

Blondie
July 1st, 2013, 07:46 AM

Hello Folksies!

So many times we mention here about how fast time is going - as if I am going to need wings soon if it keeps on this whirlwind pace; the past few days have been no exception. I worked long and hard on Friday, went to a Pampered Chef party, then worked long and hard on Saturday only to finally host the Celebrating Home party for my DD. We held it at her house because there is no way I could fit those women in my home. I didn't get home until late. Yesterday is almost a blur - today I will be going into the city with hubs who is off all week. Ai yi yi. and an Oy thrown in. I want to sit and sew. It is too hot to be outside for very long.

Yesterday morning I discovered there were just enough blackberries ripe enough to pick, so Luscious got a delicious afternoon delight. Our blueberries are just starting to ripen and should be ready in a few weeks. Mine are always later in being ripe than others. We are always waiting, drooling for the fresh. They are as sweet as candy. We always leave some for the birdies too.

Another goodie from yesterday - I bought an old White 1099 machine for like 10 bucks. The same person is holding for me an old Singer, in mint condition (well it needs a belt), in a cabinet for 30 dollars. The White needs a good DNC and a little oil. I have been needing a back up machine and I am hoping that this fits the bill. These are from an estate - Judy and Allie - the house is in the Schoolfield area of Danville if you are interested; she has a Finesse in a nice cabinet for about 50 I think. I have never heard of a Finesse; the lady who owned these kept every bit of paperwork on everything she owned (except the old singer). I am not sure what year the White was made but it does have a manual. It looks heavy duty, and has the look of machines from the late 60's and 70's to it. I have high hopes for this machine!

Last night I watched a concert on AXS channel with The Mavericks. I felt like I was right in their audience. I love their style of music - what a treat Raol's voice always is. As a bonus for myself, I decided while I clean a bit, I will play one of their cd's today. Great music to clean with. The Mavericks - Back In Your Arms Again - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJ3dP7qCpE)

Prayers for each one here plus extra for the Arizona firefighters families and all involved.

Smile folksies! It's gonna be a great day!

Renate
July 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
The last day in June I only survived by thinking on you dear Blondie. I played at a golf competition and it was the worstest in my life. Nothing worked, each putt stopped short bevor the hole, no ball jumped into the right direction, if there was a small small hole at the fairway, I met it ... but I smiled, because I was allowed to Play a wonderful course, at a very nice region, together with wonderful people, sun was shining, it was pretty warm and all the flowers around me. In this scenery, what does it count to have one hit more or less? And somebody must be the last on the ranking and everybody was so happy that it was not him. For myself I was the real lucky winner in this game ... I did not think on my bad result, I only enjoyed .... And I smiled ...

Mpyles
July 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Good morning everyone!!

Whew!! Almost worn out after my vacation!! We had a lovely time, it was very relaxing and enjoyable....and for the most part everyone got along for five days....my daughter got a little upset with her cousins friend one day for rushing her through a store...she got over it and marked it up to her being bipolar...( my daughters diagnosis of her behavior) lol. Anyway we made it thru all those florida thunderstorms, the creeper peeper of our last night there and the flight delays. Got home friday evening with a sun rash...that is driving me crazy...I seem to suffer from photosensitivity...which I had hoped I had out grown, guess not. I used 50 sunblock like it was water but still managed some burn and of course the rash. Trying not to scratch!!
I got my mug rug from Monique while I was away, it beautiful and I posted a picture if you wanna take a peek in the mug rug group.

Saturday DH and DS and I ventured to the farmers market and bought some fruits and veggies. Went and signed up at our local park boards fitness facility. Gonna swim...in the indoor no sunlight! Bought a tv stand that took exactly 1 hour 49 minutes to assemble...DH timed DS and I! Lol

It was back to work yesterday as it was end of month and I had inventory to do and today I am off to Lebanon to count there!

I can't seem to catch up on the forum so all in need of prayers, know I am thinking of you!!

Everyone have a great day!!!

asta
July 1st, 2013, 08:13 AM
I am woman of very few words but Blondie, your posts always seem to remind me to smile and push on when I am feeling down. Your words are so soothing and encouraging. Bless you for all you do.
((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))
I don't talk much but I have been told I am a great hugger.

Bubby
July 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Good Morning,

I'm still dealing with the aftermth of the dental work I had done Thursday. I had to stop the pain meds and antibiotics because they made me really sick. I still have a moderate amount of pain and can't chew anything. I will heal for a month and then go back for more.

My DD and grandpups will get here tonight late. I suppose she will sleep in most of tomorrow and I will get to know the 'girls'. This is the beginning of what we hope will be a happy adventure for us.

Our weather has cooled off considerably...yay! Now I'm beginning to feel like sewing again.

Did you hear of the tragedy in Prescott, AZ, where 19 firefighters were killed battling a fire in Yarnell? Their families and communities surely need prayer.

I'm off to get Jeff off to work. Wishing everyone a great July 1st! Hugs, Barb

Lissau
July 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
l feel so sorry for the Arizona fire fighters who lost their lives and l cannot imagine what their families are going through ...it was all over the news here in Australia...The Mavericks have a great sound l've never heard of them before.

Iris Girl
July 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM
Its raining here this morning with scattered thunder and lightening. Had to get a shower between storms. Work for me today but its an early day. hopefully I can get some sewing done when I get home. I think I need a new chair the pneumatic thingy on my keeps letting me sink. so guessing its wore out. Have my eye on this one. It is the same one I use now but mine has no arms. Price is good and free shipping.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/715050/Dorra-Bonded-Leather-Task-Chair-37/

DCM
July 1st, 2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for such uplifting posts each day, Blondie. I look forward to reading them before heading out to work :)

Barb, I hope you're going to call your dentist/oral surgeon -- you don't have to have the pain meds if you can stand the pain, but the antibiotics are really important to prevent infection. I've had a lot of dental procedures in the past and have always been told how important the antibiotics are. Maybe it was a combination of both that was making you sick -- they should be able to change your antibiotic to something you can tolerate. I hope you heal quickly.

ilive2craft2
July 1st, 2013, 08:48 AM
Good Morning all! The sun is shining and it is 61 degrees out with a high of 77 today - weirdest July 1st weather I have ever seen!!! Our grass is still green and keeps needing to be mowed - usually by now it has turned brown and stopped growing... I got the front mowed yesterday, will tackle the back when I get home from work today.

Lunchtime is a scheduled run to the post office to get some swaps mailed off (late - sorry buddies) - Saturday morning got away from me somehow and didn't make it to the post office before it closed.

Many prayers being said for the AZ firefighters and their families and friends.

Hugs and prayers to everyone here too! Have a great Monday!

buckeyequilter
July 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Good morning....

Vacation week for me :)

Friday, I spent most of the day sewing. Today I am cleaning my bedroom....I didn't know one person could have so many clothes. I am sorting through those and will let my daughter have what she wants. I want to make a jeans quilt and found about 5 more pair to add to the stash. I found a Christmas present that I got my daughter last year and forgot about....so it's sitting on the table so she can have it when she gets up *lol* she'll get a laugh out of it.

I need to go to town and pick up a few things at JoAnn's and then stop a visit with my sister. Tomorrow we are going to Amish country....we have our list ready. No plans for Wednesday so I think that will be a sewing day. Thursday is family day - we'll probably go to the fair and then watch fireworks. Those are plans which tend to get changed at the last minute for various reasons. At least I have electric this year....we had a storm last year and were without power for 5 days (during my vacation week).

Well need to get back to cleaning/laundry. Have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs - saying a special prayer for all the firefighters that were lost.

shermur
July 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM
Mornin', darlins'! Short week at work, but busy here all the same! I haven't gotten to hear from my Navy daughter in what seems like forever and i miss her so. Getting headway on child #4's quilt; and this week I have to finish a baby quilt for a shower next weekend, softball team is fundraising with a fireworks tent, dog adoption event this next weekend and a 4th pool party next Saturday evening as well. Geez, there isn't enough hours in the day, huh?

MayinJerset
July 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Blondie, Good luck with your 'new' White machine. I had my MIL's old White years ago, worked great, was in a little square cabinet that had a knee press instead of a foot peddle.

Had a nice time yesterday at great nephew's high school grad party, had a chance to catch up with both my sisters and their families. Drive there was good until we neared the bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn, the bridge was encased in a heavy fog that made driving on it a little scary. Glad fog was gone on our way home.

Didn't know anything about Arizona fires until I checked out computer last night. Lots of bad news lately due to the weather, some of us are drowning in the rain and others are burning up due to the lack of it.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hi folks! I spent the weekend cleaning out my spare bedroom/guest bedroom for my daughter and SIL to stay in after they close on their house next week. It was a BIG job! I had taken it over for middle of the night insomnia quilting sessions, which morphed into all day quilting sessions, which morphed into a place to store precuts, finished quilts, UFOs, scraps, etc., etc., etc! Plus I had clothing in the closet that I loved but would never be wearing again, and on and on. Now they have a bed, half of a closet, shelves, a desk, phone, bookcase, and I want to get a small tv in there. No fabric or clothes ( oh, I forgot that underbed container with fabric in it!). And I took 12 bags of clothing to the church drive. I made a hipster bag, saw a show Saturday night, and DIDN'T sew one costume. My bad! Need to get on that today! So, although I threw in plenty of naps, mostly induced by the on and off rain showers, I fell like it was time well spent.

Always glad to see show and tells! Seems the tote bag theme is coming back, inspired by Kensington's three cute bags she made. Love the new quilters showing their first projects, and the experienced quilters showing some stunning quilts! And the cute kids, grandkids and fur babies enjoying being in the middle of every project! Especially the cats! Keep on quilting, folks! And sharing! That's why we're here!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 1st, 2013, 10:08 AM
Blondie, is your White machine a pretty aqua blue? My mom's " new" machine in the mid-50s was aqua blue. She made so many things with it. We ended up selling it for $10 back in the 90's, before we appreciated these things! I remember sewing on a black machine for my first attempts, don't even remember what kind it was, perhaps it, too, was a White and mom stayed with her brand. Glad to hear about your "finds"!

Sandy Navas
July 1st, 2013, 10:27 AM
No major plans for the day - it is 57 degrees out here in my neighborhood. DD and DSIL are off for another OB appointment. We are close to count-down - 10 days and holding???

Not much happened here over the weekend - I probably spent more time 'resting' than accomplishing ANYthing. This morning I asked Al how he scheduled his priorities (knowing that HE doesn't!!), and he admitted he doesn't know. I look at things that need to be done - like picking up the living room after the gremlins have been coloring, cutting and pasting - and realize if I do it will look the same by tomorrow, if not the end of the day. And so - perhaps I'll try to sew today. That would make me happy.

Can't quite get my mind around all the tragedies around the world - but, I am certain these things are just broadcast wider because of more modern communications. Sometimes it is better to ignore the happenings outside our own backyard. Prayers going out to the friends and family of all those firefighters. I can't imagine a more horrible way to go - especially when their life's ambition has been to protect others. So sad.

Okay, before I get too maudlin here, I'll share what my wonderful Cynthia sent this morning:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=a3f488b8fd&view=att&th=13f9a4862180c4d7&attid=0.4&disp=emb&realattid=f44c52db58f5e0bf_0.1.7&zw&atsh=1

bakermom
July 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM
Good morning! I'll have a busy couple weeks as we gear up toward our Fair. 4H judgings are coming up and I'll be helping as well as judging. It's a lot of work to make it sucessful.
Also have a couple things I want to enter in the open show, one still needs to be finished.
Alot of rain here the last few days but ti should be decent for the 4th.

I read about the horrible tragedy in Az. when i got home from work this morning. I pray for them and their families. We have volunteer firefighters in the family. I say a prayer everytime i see/gear the trucks go out.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
July 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Morning All! Glad everyone had a great weekend. I on the other hand got a few things done. I feel like they were very few things but they are done none the less.
I hope you have a great week. Off to clean house ugh....

:icon_wave:

RFREE
July 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Morning all my quilting buddies! Not much planned for today after my day yesterday I might just take it easy.That is if my DD will let me. She loves to keep the roads hot.After we had the neighbor over and I took her back home me and DD loaded up and went to Wal-mart of all places for 2 hours!! I am not a shopper but she sure is;don't know where she got it but she 's got it.Oyyyy I couldn't wait to get back home. I have an itch to make a mat to go under the little dogs food and water bowls today. I am thinking maybe one shaped like a dog paw print or something like that. Gotta think on it and get it going. I hope you all have a wonderful first day of July.Just a tad over a month and I have to go back to work:( Its been good though!!!
Hugs and prayers to all who need them.
Rhonda

Mom23
July 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Good Morning All,

I can't believe it's July 1 already. I'm doing month end billing and getting caught up in the office today. I'm all packed and ready to leave for Alaska at 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. Leaving a 20 year old son at home, so my house will probably never be the same again. I'm not too worried about leaving a clean house because I know it will need a good cleaning when we return.

Yesterday I tried to mow. It takes about 3 hours but yesterday it took 5. I got soaking wet twice. It was really too wet but I wanted to get it done. I'm really picky about the yard, and above mentioned 20 year old could care less. He'll take the corners on two wheels just to get done faster. :)

I will check in a little while we are gone but believe me when I say I'm going to miss the forum. Of course daily prayers will be said for all of my forum friends. Prayers also going out to the families of the firefighters. So much sad news today. :(

Monique
July 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Just a quick post here. I will catch up with you all later. Going to enjoy the festivities today for Canada Day with the family. Greg, Phil, Les and I went out to the breakfast they had this morning. Will be off for the parade in a bit. Have an awesome day everyone.

Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends here.

toggpine
July 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Good Morning!

It is good so far today, but that will be changing within the half hour. It's about 65, but is headed to 90 today. We don't have AC! Ick! I'll be shutting down the windows and dropping the blinds in some attempt to keep the cool in. I'm supposed to work today and Em is coming with me. Thankfully the gal has AC and I'll bring Em's movie player so she can keep herself entertained.

We did get the stock trailer cleaned. It is white again! Things that sit outside around here tend to collect fir needles, leaves, pollen, and a lovely green algae coat. After the hay hauling we will cover it with a tarp to protect it this season. The rear tire had a nail in it which is why it was flat. It currently has the spare on and I'll take in the leaky one for repair.

I restacked the remaining hay and thought I had found the yellow jacket nest. (I was stung on the ankle Sat.) We waited until dusk, moved the pallets to expose the hole, but couldn't find one. We'll pull the rest out and get the area prepped for the 2013 loads of hay. Maybe we'll find it then, or perhaps they were after the rat mummies under there. (We found two so far.) Ick!

After a quick rinse off we spent most of the rest of the afternoon trying to stay cool. We don't do well in this heat. At least there were a few cool breezes.
I'm not sure how much sewing will get done until it cools off. It's kind of hard to keep all of the pieces together with the fan blowing full blast!

Hugs to all, and special prayers for the families of those wildland firefighters.
Cathy

auntiemern
July 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
It is still technically in the AM. Blondie, you make me mile every day. Even when I don't think I can. So sad about the fire fighters in AZ. My prayers are with their families. Have my Bubby right now, will have the girls after school. Not sure what I am gonna get done today, but will attempt something. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

cyndiofthevortex
July 1st, 2013, 01:40 PM
Spent the morning watching the DGSs running through the sprinkler in the back yard. What fun they had! It is hot, muggy and buggy here today so I will spend the afternoon sewing while the kids play with their Legos. I feel like a project that needs no decision making today, so I am going to just sew up a bunch of HSTs and play with arranging them another day. Do you ever just feel like mindlessly sewing? I know I do. Lots of times.

Saying prayers for the tragic circumstances in Arizona. How horrible it all is.

Lindagie
July 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Got up early to take the dog out and my foot was hurting so bad I could barely walk; top and bottom and around the ankle. Guess the old ski injury is flaring up again with Arthur. A couple of Ibuprophens work wonders though. Very annoying though.
Went to a July 4 celebration and enjoyed the grandkids on the rides. DGS pitched a fit when his little boat stopped working before it should have. Oops! Saw some old friends, had a sandwich and a drink on a beautiful evening. Nice fireworks too!
This morning ws beautiful for a walk with my doggie. Some of the daylillies are blooming and the hydrangeas are doing well with all the rain. I think we are going to have some showers again today though.
Better go finish cleaning the house and then maybe some handquilting later on. Have a good day!
Oh Barb, you better check on those antibiotics; you don't want to get an infection after all that work!
Saying some prayers for all of the firefighters and their families; also our troops, of course!

Madeforyouinma11
July 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone....I had a very good weekend. On Saturday we had hubby's aunt and uncle and my daughter, SIL and little baby Julia over for dinner. It was hubby's birthday yesterday so we celebrated with them. On Sunday, hubby spent his birthday playing his new video game and I did a few chores and decided the rest could wait and I did a little sewing. I am trying to finish up a couple of UFOs that I have. Today hubby is going to see Superman with his cousin. Today is going to be a great day cause I am expecting 3 packages in the mail! I ordered more comic boards, my charm and strip swap, and I have a package coming from Libby too! All tracking numbers say they are out for delivery today! Well, I better go do a few things now, cause when all those packages get here, I won't be doing any cleaning, that's for sure.
Hoping everyone has a great day...sending prayers to all in need and especially to the families of the Arizona firefighters.

aliaslaceygreen
July 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Good AFTERNOON... Laylabug is down for a nap, so I have a minute to post...
The weather is cooler today and it is of course, humid and lots of thunder storms all around.

I finished the bathroom! Here is a link to the blog....The Big Reveal | More Notes From the Refrigerator Door (http://aliaslaceygreen.com/2013/06/30/the-big-reveal/) and one shot for here!

Hope everyone has a great day! Happy Canada Day!!

Madeforyouinma11
July 1st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Wow! Layla must love this new bathroom! It looks so bright and cheery! Good job! :)

aliaslaceygreen
July 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Wow! Layla must love this new bathroom! It looks so bright and cheery! Good job! :)
Thanks!
She likes knowing exactly where her stool and toothbrush are. She would stand and brush them all day if I let her!

BellasQuilts
July 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM
One of the 19 is from our town. His SIS was in my girl scout troop. Tragic.

MRoy
July 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM
This is my first chance to slow down today. The grandkids and I ran errands most of the day getting groceries, DGS's prescription refilled, etc, etc. They've just finished supper so it's time to wind down for the evening. It's back to work for me tomorrow and Wednesday then off again until next Monday. Final countdown to August 1 retirement has begun...T - 31 and counting.

Precious1
July 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
Very beautiful and colourful.

Over40momma
July 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Good evening all. So sorry to hear about those firefighters in Arizona, will keep their family and friends in my prayers. I cannot even begin to imagine what they are all going through.

We have been celebrating Canada Day here and have been working on a few strip piecing tops the last few days. Yes my lovely foot pedal finally showed up and the postman was especially pleased to hear I would not be stalking him anymore. Did not have the heart to tell him I have another delivery due......sometimes its best NOT to dash their hopes. I have enough fabric and ideas to keep me occupied for most of the coming week.

Made a lovely little "birthday" cake for supper tonight. Simple yellow cake with Cool Whip for the 'frosting' and sliced strawberries that made a little maple leaf in the centre. Big hit with the kids and hubby chowed down his piece pretty fast. :lol: