PDA

View Full Version : I'm on VACATION! Need some advice from those of you who fly!

WendyI
June 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
and in two more days I'll be on a plane to California! Wooo!!

I'm a tad stressed about the whole thing to be honest! My friends have been in therapy and have both come to the realization that neither of them has been spending much time the past 10 years working on their marriage. They are in therapy now (their therapist is $200/hour! yikes!) and are doing very, VERY well. I am so very proud of them both!! And happy for their family as well...AND understandably relieved.

Anyway...the stress is from trying to figure out what to pack!! I'm NOT a flyer and certainly not an International one! So the thought of going through customs is kind of freaking me out, trying to make sure that I have everything I will need, packed as it should be! So...I know all the general stuff like no liquids over 3 oz in carry-on luggage and you can't bring stuff like meat, fruit and cheese if you're crossing the border but what about snacks? I am sad about the fruit but I guess I get it...but can we bring like nuts or chips or candy bars? I know we can buy food on the flight, but not sure what it is like. My kid is a veggie and fruit eater...are they absolutely forbidden?

I was going to try not to check any bags, but just can't see that happening. I'm not a light packer at the best of times!

So any advice would be appreciated!! Only two more days!! This time on Wednesday I will be at my best friends house having lots of baby cuddles!!!

SallyO'Sews
June 30th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Hi, Wendy, Happy Canada Day!

Hope you have a great time in California, and that your friends continue to make progress in their marriage. As far as packing goes, try going online to the Canadian or US State Department websites or the one for your airline; I think they have pretty good info.

Checking your luggage will depend on a couple of things: 1) how much stuff are you planning to take, and 2) does your airline charge you extra $$ for checked bags?

Regarding food on the flight, my understanding is that anything you purchase in the airport after going through security is okay to take on the plane, but of course it will be very expensive. As far as fresh produce goes, remember that California is where the rest of us get much of our fruits and veggies, anyway, so as soon as you get there, you can go to a grocery store!

Don't forget to post pics!

shannonsaulter
June 30th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I suggest the TSA web site or call your airport they will help guide you on what can and can not be carried...totally understand am having to the same thing since we leave for Ireland in 17 days :)
Enjoy your trip what part of Cali are you coming to?
Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items)

Nidan_07
June 30th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hi Wendy,
We travel Internationally. As far as snacks go, they should be fine to take on the plane with you, but you will need to discard certain food items them on arrival at your destination you should be given a brochure on this on the plane. (Quarantine regulation). The cabin crew can also help you out with this, and take whatever you need to dispose of. They have bins in the terminal also for you before you go through immigration, and they will let you know about this on the plane also. Cabin crew will explain all of that to you as go go along.
For going through security on departure: We always have any liquids (within the limits) packed in clear snap lock bags, so that they can be kept separate and then put out of the bags into the trays provided. Don't stress.....there will be lots of signs and people to ask along the way. Happy Flying. Enjoy!! and Don't Stress.....If in doubt, just ask.

ilive2craft2
June 30th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Don't have any advice on flying - haven't done it internationally. Just wanted to say have a good trip and enjoy the time with your friends!

bubba
July 1st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Just like when entering Hawaii, California also makes you dispose of any fresh produce you try to bring into their state. When we travel to Hawaii, I don't even take shampoos, etc because we stop by Walmart on the way to the condo and just buy it there. Whatever I can do to make my bag light, I do it!

When we come home, I normally ship a box or two and I know this trip, one of them will be full of fabric!!

Lil bits of thread
July 1st, 2013, 03:16 AM
I live in California. Bringing in any fruit is strictly prohibited due to the possibility of bringing in pests or diseases and the impact they would have on our agriculture business. You will be allowed to take pre packaged nuts and snacks. Fruit roll-ups, snack bars, fruit bars, etc come in very handy. Make sure there are no scissors, nail clippers, or nail files in you carry on or purse. Hope this helps.
Michelle