PDA

View Full Version : The Heat

phoots
June 29th, 2013, 12:26 AM
I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. We are known for hot summers. But, the month of June is going down in our history books as the hottest June in history. Today the temperature was 115 with 7% humidity. Saturday through Monday or Tuesday are expected to be 117. There have been thunderstorms just to the east of us in Utah and just to the south which could cause the humidity to rise. I spent my day today sitting inside in the A/C.

I moved here from Tuscaloosa, Alabama were the summers are hot and sticky. When I moved to Vegas, everyone told me that summers won't be that bad because "it's a dry heat." In my opinion, a dry heat at 117 with 7% humidity is just as bad as a sticky heat of 98 with 87% humidity. In a dry heat, I sometimes have trouble breathing. I never had a problem with a humid summer!

Love to you all!

Pam in Vegas

lilmouse
June 29th, 2013, 12:41 AM
When it is that hot it just takes your breath away...been there and done that!

PeggyM
June 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Bottom line hot is HOT. You can fry eggs on a car hood at 115.

Meli
June 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Pam, I'm in Salt Lake (grew up in Georgia) and I know what you mean. We're not that far behind you. Today was 104. It's supposed to be that hot for the next several days. Humidity is negligible. And no rain here. Not for the entire month. If it's this hot now, what is July going to be like?

bubba
June 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I know I live in Washington and it does not get nearly that hot here, although it does hit 100, but I quit complaining about the heat after my son in law had to go serve in Afghanistan during the summer for a couple years in a row. I figure those soldiers are the only ones who should get to complain.

Lissau
June 29th, 2013, 02:20 AM
l'll gladly swap and give you my winter .....those temps are becoming normal in Australia for summer ..

Judy~Ann
June 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley in Central California... grew up in Alabama.... and we are having 110 degree heat for the next week or so. I totally agree... HOT is HOT....

phoots
June 29th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Pam, I'm in Salt Lake (grew up in Georgia) and I know what you mean. We're not that far behind you. Today was 104. It's supposed to be that hot for the next several days. Humidity is negligible. And no rain here. Not for the entire month. If it's this hot now, what is July going to be like?

Oh, no! I don't want to think what July will be like, let alone August!

Pam in Vegas

Evilynn
June 29th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I'm in Finland which is known for long winters. No one ever expects hot weather here that's why there is not much tourism during summer time. But boy! We've had 30-35 C (86- 95 F) ourselves this year. And it's not even July yet. We're fearing that it will hit the 40 C mark this year which would be record.
But, I won't complain because there is a long... long... looooooong icecold winter ahead of us which will last for 6 months. So yep, I am actually enjoying the heat a bit :)

dwil23
June 29th, 2013, 04:14 AM
I'm in Finland which is known for long winters. No one ever expects hot weather here that's why there is not much tourism during summer time. But boy! We've had 30-35 C (86- 95 F) ourselves this year. And it's not even July yet. We're fearing that it will hit the 40 C mark this year which would be record.
But, I won't complain because there is a long... long... looooooong icecold winter ahead of us which will last for 6 months. So yep, I am actually enjoying the heat a bit :)

That's what I say about our winters - enjoy them - we are in for a long hot summer.

I was passing through Phoenix one July many years ago when the temp was 114. Dry heat, shmy heat it was HOT!!!

Mchelem
June 29th, 2013, 04:15 AM
117 degrees is hot-dry, wet, however they want to word it...it's still HOT!!

I wish I knew what winter was. We have spring for a week, summer for 50 weeks and fall for a week lol.

Iris Girl
June 29th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Just had a conversation with some customers and then my kids when I came home about this heat. What we are getting now is what we called the dog days of summer and we got them in august for a week or 2 at most. My kids also remember when pumpkin bags came out for halloween decorations the leaves were never off the trees by halloween to fill them we used to fill with newspapers. now the leaves are half down by end of august... My oldest is only 29 and can remember all this so change is happening not all that slowly.

nana margaret
June 29th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I live in England and can't even imagine what that would feel like, I don't cope well with heat even when we have a "heatwave" over here! I think if I came over there they'd be bringing me home in a box!:lol:

aliaslaceygreen
June 29th, 2013, 07:52 AM
UGH! I don't envy you. DRINK water and slow down....

Monique
June 29th, 2013, 08:15 AM
It doesn't ever get that hot this way. I just can't imagine. I might melt.

MayinJerset
June 29th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Know what you mean about the Vegas heat. We were there early last June for our DGD's wedding and the heat and lack of moisture in the air affected me so much that I had to strain myself to enjoy the wedding. Although I drank plenty of fluids I dehydrated and my nose and throat got so dry I was looking for a vaporizer to use in our room. Give me that old Jersey heat and humidity, at least I know what to do with it.

CrazyMtnLady
June 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Pam, stay cool.

I know it can get really hot out there in Las Vegas. My DH and I were there in August of 2004 to get married and it was really hot. Our truck has a temperature display and when we got in it one day it was reading 119* the radio was saying it was 105* outside. We were glad when we left the area for sure.

Sharyn J
June 29th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Last time I was in Vegas, it was very hot and I had a little trouble breathing because of the dryness. However, my arthritis disappeared for a week............it was great!

Grandma G
June 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
117 degrees is hot-dry, wet, however they want to word it...it's still HOT!!

I wish I knew what winter was. We have spring for a week, summer for 50 weeks and fall for a week lol.

You are so right! I live in Conroe, north of Houston and the other day the humidity was 100% and the temp was 97. I used to think at 100% it had to be raining but, no, not true. Today they are predicting 100 degrees.

My sister stayed with me for two weeks a couple of years ago during the month of July. It was a unplanned visit as our brother had passed away and more than once she told me she just didn't know how I could stand living here. (she lives in Massachusetts) She said being outside was akin to turning the oven to 500 degrees and sticking your head inside. Needless to say we rarely left the house. Every place I suggested visiting was met with a no, thank you, I'm very comfortable sitting in your house. Gotta love it.

Miss Sheri
June 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
The day my DH and DS#1 helped my DIL's move into their home in Gilbert,AZ it was 124*F Grandma actually cracked an egg and dropped it on the cement and it DID cook. They called me at 10:00 at night from the swimming pool, trying to cool off enough to sleep.
I love Arizona in the winter (Christmas time) but won't go in the summer.

coffeebreak
June 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I am in So Calif..and our temps are 106 today, 108 tomorrow and 102 monday. I lived in LV little over 10 years ago..and yeah, that "dry heat" is so stupid! All heat is dry! Humidity is never that high. But what they should be saying is that the heat is a "clean" heat...meaning no smog! Now, granted, downtown is getting a bit smoggy cause of all the high rises keeping all the auto fumes down at ground level and with all the building...the smog can't get out but that is what makes a huge difference in the style of heat. But with the clean air and some breeze...it is just simply HOT.

auntiemern
June 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Sounds like the long hot dry summer we had last year. It is hot here but not quite to 100 yet.

Genny
June 29th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Pam...In my opinion hot is hot whether its humid or not and when it goes above 100 degrees its HOT! It's been in the 90's here and it's been horrible at work where there's 4 air conditioning units, one doesn't work at all and the other 3 work at about 50 percent. Please take care of yourself!

Fabriclovr
June 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM
It was 109 at 9 am this am and is supposed to hit 120 today! Anything over 100 is just hot, dry or not!

Its now 12:21 and 119. 4 degrees!

Fabriclovr
June 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
This is not getting any better! It's now 122 on my back porch!

phoots
June 29th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I am in So Calif..and our temps are 106 today, 108 tomorrow and 102 monday. I lived in LV little over 10 years ago..and yeah, that "dry heat" is so stupid! All heat is dry! Humidity is never that high. But what they should be saying is that the heat is a "clean" heat...meaning no smog! Now, granted, downtown is getting a bit smoggy cause of all the high rises keeping all the auto fumes down at ground level and with all the building...the smog can't get out but that is what makes a huge difference in the style of heat. But with the clean air and some breeze...it is just simply HOT.

Because Vegas is in a valley, we have air problems all the time. Actually, right now because of all the fires in CA, AZ, CO, etc we're having bad air.

Pam in Vegas

MartinaG
June 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Our AC came on at 9 this morning and we have all the ceiling fans going to keep it reasonably cool. It's going to be 108 in Sacramento today which feels like walking into a convection oven. That hot actually hurts on the skin. By Tuesday we're supposed to be 110F. I found out that my system shuts down at 112 - the circulation just quilts. ....and I'm supposed to put a binding on a quilt today. Not sure that will happen. SIGH!