PDA

View Full Version : And I thought it was hot in New England!

SallyO'Sews
June 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
One of DD#6's friends posted this on Facebook: Triple-digit heat out West: That's blazing hot (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/27/heat-west/2464597/?csp=fbfanpage)

"Temperatures could soon reach 130 degrees in parts of Arizona, California and Nevada and residents are doing all they can not to melt."

If you live in or near one of these places, and have adequate air conditioning...buy one for a neighbor. Don't forget the homeless. This temperature will kill people. If you don't live in these areas, pray for them. Take care of yourselves, dear ones.

Blessings and cool breezes! ~ Sally \0/

HdWench
June 28th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Oh Sally, thank you for your thoughts on A/C or even Fans!!! Before we left it was 109 and only getting worse. NO Fans to be found in any of the stores in the area, all small A/C units were sold out as well as any type of fan! Can you imagine?

The homeless shelters are always in desperate need!!!

Prayers the monsoons begin soon to help cool it down a bit too

K. McEuen
June 28th, 2013, 05:48 PM
New Mexico is right there with them. Right now it's overcast, which means the humidity is up so our evaporative coolers aren't working very well. Most days it's fine, but not when we have any humidity around.

Miss Sheri
June 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Karen, I know how that is with the evaporative cooloers. My mom used to buy a block of ice and set it in a pan in front of a fan to cool an area of the room when it was so humid (and especially if she was pregnant at the time)~ and we ALL sat in front of it ~ when it got so darned humid. Now I'm in Utah where it is dry,dry,dry and we are also triple digits, but on the low end.

Sandy Navas
June 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I am NOT going to mention this to my DD who is 37 weeks today, and suffering with our 'cool' high temps (we have a heat pump compressor that has decided to 'bite the dust'). Sending prayers for our western high temp friends and anyone who is suffering with the heat.

IBake
June 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Oh Karen, I had forgotten about swamp coolers! WE had them when we lived in Tucson. Coming from Minnesota, Arizona was a strange and colorful place. But having someone tell me that a wet wood wood shaving pad was my AC unit for the house and to keep my windows cracked.....that just about blew my mind! Sure makes a cheaper means of AC tho..

And don't forget your pets in the hot weather. They need to be in a cool area and well hydrated also., bring them inside or provide them with shade...

When we were walking across the parking lot to the Base Exchange in Tucson one day, I told my hubby that I had married him for better or worse, but nowhere did it say anything about 115 or above!

stay cool...

shannonsaulter
June 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM
It was104 here and supposed to be hotter today..