PDA

View Full Version : How did we survive?

Poppytree
June 27th, 2013, 06:24 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking ..

As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem .

You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Nidan_07
June 27th, 2013, 06:38 AM
That is such a great post!! As a child of the 70's, and a parent since the 00's I totally get the message. I think I did all of the things that you mentioned in your messsage, and then some. Many a long summer day was spent in the back street with all the neighbourhood kids playing cricket, both one day matches and 5 day tests (we were keen). If it wasn't that it was tennis, or building cubby houses out of whatever we could find. Often raced home for dinner only to be back out after dark with our torches for a friendly game of neighbourhood spotlight. If we wanted to go somewhere we rode or bikes - didn't get driven around like I do for my kids now. Modern times have given us some great things to make life easier, but unfortunately, we have lost quite a bit too (just my own opinion). Thanks again for the post. Will have my kids read it.

Evilynn
June 27th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Thank you for this ! :)

Iris Girl
June 27th, 2013, 07:21 AM
How true is this. brings back memories for sure. thank you

RFREE
June 27th, 2013, 08:20 AM
This is the truth if I ever heard it!

deedum
June 27th, 2013, 08:28 AM
those were the days, I spent many a days making mud pies. Kids are missing out on a lot today.

Bubby
June 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
That was good reading, jane! I was a child of the 50's and did all of the above. Kids nowadays don't even get the kid experience!

Swedish leo
June 27th, 2013, 09:04 AM
So true!

I drag my kids out in the woods and they have just as much fun as I did. Still to this day as they are teenagers they still likes to go to the woods!

:icon_wave:

Karena1984
June 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Love this!! My daughter (8) has a phone and an iPad and every other gadget under the sun but I'm happy to say she's a normal kid!!! She goes outside and builds bug carnivals and wrecks her bike daily!! Kids should be covered in mud!! Most kids are afraid of dirt these days!! ..... Also the water from the hose is still good!! Haha

nyscpa2be
June 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'm a child of the early '80s. I rode in a car without airbags, but always had to use a seatbelt. I don't remember if I had a helmet or not. We ate white bread because whole wheat was too expensive. Before we moved to the country, I spent as much time as possible outside with friends. We had an atari and original nintendo, but barely played them unless it was raining. Thankfully, my nephews are 16, 14 and 11, and they spend as much time running around as possible. :D :D :D

LynneLeavell
June 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
As a child of the 60's I did survive. Great post. Another thing I use to do was ride the lawn mower down the street some times to go visiting. I even walked to school, Girl Scouts and Brownies. Riding in the back window was fun as well. I thought we were up town when daddy bought a car that had air conditioning in it. My kids were born in the mid 80's. They were not near as creative as I was as a kid. Oh well to be in those days again would be so nice. The only thing I can say is that my three grandsons love to be out side. The two that live with me would rather be out side than they had inside, it doesn't matter what time of day or how hot or cold.

Oh well so much for old times. Everyone have a great day.

MayinJerset
June 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the memories, I was born in 1936 and glad of it. I was a city kid and we roller skated and played games right in the middle of the street without the fear of being run over as there were very few cars down them.. If a friend had a deck of cards we sat on our front stoops and played War or Go Fish. Sometimes a card or two was missing but we didn't care. Big deal if we could go to local pool, no money for lunch or snacks but we were happy to cool off during the hot summer days. Life was simpler then.

Lindagie
June 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM
This is so true; I grew up in the late 40's/50's and loved it. Guess we didn't know any better, but we all had such fun! Our kids and grandkids have a lot more to do now and have more things, but sometimes I wish they could enjoy the "good old days" just to see how it was back then. Everything today is so organized and scheduled; even play dates. Thanks for the trip to memoryland!

rebeccas-sewing
June 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
There's a lot to be said for days gone by. I'm a product of the early 50's so I relate to it all. I'll be posting this on Facebook for my friends to enjoy. My kids need to know what it was like for me growing up. This will certainly give them some insight.

WendyI
June 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I was born in 66 and lived in a very rural community. We had party lines! Imagine! Two tv. stations only. I did a LOT of these things. I try so hard to help my son have some of those experiences, and get so angry when others (teachers mostly) try and stop kids from LIVING LIFE! I experienced drama, and parties and fun and did all kinds of things that would NEVER be permitted today. It's really sad how tight our society has become. At least you folks in the US get to have tailgate parties!!! OMG that would NEVER happen here!!! We're SUCH an uptight country...it's suffocating sometimes. Safe is NOT always better.

cyndiofthevortex
June 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I love this post. What fun we had playing in the streets and riding our bikes everywhere and making tree houses out of scrap lumber lying around! It will never be like that again. It's too bad.

Judy~Ann
June 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Oh so true.... each and every word. We had fun and we learned to face the consequences of our actions. A doctor at a children's hospital told me recently ... that our children have more diseases than our generation because their bodies were not allowed to build up natural immunities ... they are not allowed to play in the dirt.... play outside with animals... etc. It makes sense if you think about it...

bakermom
June 27th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Except for the carseats and bike helmets, my kids were raised the same way(much to the dismay of certain neighbors and a few inlaws). they were outside from morning to night and GASP were even allowed to go to restrooms by themselves.

mamaquilt
June 27th, 2013, 02:47 PM
thanks for that lovely post. Had real fun reading it as it reminded me of my childhood too in the 50's. Our kids (late 70' early 80's) were alsways looked upon when they went playing outside in the rain. They adored it and had races down the sidewalks. Soon other neighborkids joined in. Lately I met a Portugise boy, now 36 years old. He lives in Portugal now with his own family, but he remembered those races and was telling his children about them. They just didn't understand why he had so much fun in the cold rain.
Just love to think about things like that.

MartinaG
June 27th, 2013, 02:49 PM
As a child of the 50's I actually still know how to use leftovers without a microwave.

mamaquilt
June 27th, 2013, 02:53 PM
As a child of the 50's I actually still know how to use leftovers without a microwave.

I do too and when our kids were small I called it Chines cooking and they ate with sticks, they thought it was real Chinese and not the meat they didn't like the day before. The same goes with vegetables. i made soup out of leftover vegetables. Even nowadays I make my vegetables soup with the leftovers. Sometimes our son would say, please make a soup like last week, but I couldn't remember which vegetables I'd had. So difficult to do.
But I'm glad they do it the same way with their kids. So nothing is wasted.

Gayle8675309
June 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Those were the good old days! I enjoyed this a lot...thanks for posting it!

Miss Sheri
June 27th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I LOVED THIS! I was a child of the early 60's and lived in a very small town on the west coast of Washington. I remember ALL of these things! I also remember my mom leaving my two older brothers and I in the car with the windows down for the 15-20 minutes she was in the super market when we got to that age where we wanted more than the budget would afford. Nobody thought anything about kidnappers or child molesters then. Young babies were layed to rest on the seat of the car or on the blanket covered floor if not held in mom's arms. I remember out climbing my brothers in the tall birch trees and we would make them 'sway' by shifting our weight back and forth, to catch a fun ride. My kids are fortunate enough to live in a place where they gather with the neighborhood kids from 4 - 18 to play kick-the-can and sardines on a summer evening. I wish all children could have such a safe and delightful place to grow up.

bakermom
June 27th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I do too and when our kids were small I called it Chines cooking and they ate with sticks, they thought it was real Chinese and not the meat they didn't like the day before. The same goes with vegetables. i made soup out of leftover vegetables. Even nowadays I make my vegetables soup with the leftovers. Sometimes our son would say, please make a soup like last week, but I couldn't remember which vegetables I'd had. So difficult to do.
But I'm glad they do it the same way with their kids. So nothing is wasted.

LOL I do that too! Often I get"you need to make this again" .

Uh yeah sure.

quiltsRfun
June 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Add to the hazards we survived coal stoves (both for cooking and for heating) and electric fans with virtually no finger guards. Wouldn't you freak out if your grand kids were around any of these?

janluna
June 27th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ahh.... I remember it all so well. I was born in 1949 and grew up during the fifties and sixties. We used to play hide and seek by the street lights,after dinner. We left in the morning and came home in time for dinner, did dishes, and then right back outside until we were called in. It was nothing for the 10 year old Jan to ride her bike, by herself, to the main Library in the City of Rochester, NY. Take out 14 books, ride through all of downtown, back into the bad neighborhood I lived in, and stop by the old U of Rochester campus, lay under a tree and read until it was time for dinner. I'd read everything I borrowed and rode back in 10 days to turn in my books and get 14 more. We played tennis at the campus, or buy lemons to suck on when the students were playing their saxes and trumpets. It never failed to make someone blow sour notes. LOL What they didn't know was we plastered the lemon slices with sugar.
As for this collecting data from phones scandal, one night two big guys in full trench coats and fedoras, opened our kitchen door, said to my Father, "Reverend Peck, we need to use your phone, it is the only private line around here." The man proceeded to dial a very long number, (we spoke to the operator to put through our calls at the time) and then he spoke a foreign language into the phone. We were pretty sure it was Russian as he kept saying "Niet" alot. Which was really weird since the "cold war" was going on. When he was done, he told my Dad, "Thank you for the use of your phone, we won't be bothering you again." My Father said, "Who are you, and how did you place a call without speaking to the operator?" The guy said, "All in good time Sir, all in good time." All of this in perfect english, with no accent. And then, they walked out. Never saw them again. We never locked our doors up until that night. After that we did. This stuff that is going on now, with Snowden, has always gone on. Amazing! What a different world though. "The more everything changes, the more it stays the same." Thanks for the memories. Hugs, Jan L.

madampolo
June 27th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I guess the liberals have has been lying to us, since we all survived those atrocities. It just shows you should do exactly what you want, and not live the life others want you to live.

phoots
June 28th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I was born in 1959 in San Diego, CA. I don't remember a lot because of a medication I had to take in my mid teens, but I do remember in the early 60's we had a black and white TV and we got 3 stations...unfortunately one was from Tijuana, Mexico. You couldn't see much of a picture but you could hear the sound. Of course, it was all Spanish! We lived on a pretty steep hill so roller skating always meant falling. Either that or we would turn toward the Ivy on our property. But I was always told there were snakes in the Ivy so I didn't do that. Such fun times! My BF's son sits in the house playing video games. He has 3 different game systems and way too many games! In my opinion he's missed out on so much!

Pam in Vegas

Mimis-quilts
June 28th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Oh my goodness! Lots of good memories! To add a few things I did as a child of the 60's, I rode my bicycle everywhere, I walked to school up until high school and then I rode the bus, like so many of you said, we played outside from the time we went out in the morning until mom called me in for supper, I was a "latchkey kid" too, no babysitter...ever! Dad always drove a truck, I can't begin to tell you how many times I rode in the bed of that truck...again, no seat, no seatbelt, no airbags, just the truckbed and a lot of wind! On a Saturday I would catch the city bus and go downtown by myself to either go to a movie or just browse the stores. The back door of the house was in my bedroom...always slept in the summer with the door open because it was too darn hot otherwise...no air conditioning in those days, the fan in the kitchen window was the means of pulling air thru the house. I'm sure to recall a few more things...but those were some good times!

BellasQuilts
June 28th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Love this. They have taken the fun out of being a kid for sure! Glad my DGS is growing up on a ranch. He will learn to hunt, shoot guns, drive a tractor, vet cows, track coyotes and deer, and will NOT know what a Nintendo is if I have anything to say about it.