PDA

View Full Version : Life just gets in the way at times

shannonsaulter
June 25th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I have been hit or miss here on the forum and I feel bad...I love all my quilty friends but life has reared its head..
I am counting down to vacation always a good thing but there has been a lot going on with my job and its been hard..I have a job and it is stressful..working in a prison there are always dangers but as of late it just seems like no one uses common sence..an officer in Az got her ear bit off, an officer at my job got fired for being totally wrong..we are all looking over our shoulders...
Even quiling has become stressful as of late..will my buddy like my table topper,bag or mug rug..
Can I keep up with the SS projects
DD wanting her quilt yesterday..
friends expecting me to try to do one for them for free not even offering to buy the fabric....
AHHHHHHH!!! boy that felt good...lol
Anyway wanted to check in and let you all know I am just kind of lurking as of late..(((HUGS)) to all and prayers for those who need them

auntiemern
June 25th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks for letting us know you are ok. I can't even imagine the stress your job has. Watch your back, and be extra vigilent.

lilmouse
June 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Be careful Shannon and let us know how you are doing...thanks for the update and will keep you in prayer...hope the stress goes down soon!

EsGrandma
June 26th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Shannon, Please be extra careful with you! Prayers being said for you - Take super care, Linda

shannonsaulter
June 26th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Ty both I am on the countdown to a much needed break I will have July17-31 off..will spend 10 days in Ireland then come home and turn 40..

kensington
June 26th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Yes, I agree, life does get in the way. Days fly by and it seems like something we were going to do just yesterday, needs to be done today. We're always late and hurried. Our families needs us and we need rest. LOL.

It seems some of our stress we put on unjustly, like the table topper, mug rug thing... I mean... YES they will love it, cause you did it and they love you. Silly rabbit.

But, other things we stress about, like jobs and health or kids... now that we need to buckle down and take head on.

As to quilts for free to friends who don't even offer to pay for fabric? Yes, let that go in one ear and out the other. I have learned to immediately say out loud when they toss that at me, "Yes, I can make you one, I charge 25.00 an hour and you buy all supplies, and you pay my quilter to finish it".. If they want a quilt bad enough, they may say OK... if not, they usually step back and stop pressuring me into something I don't want to do. I make quilts all the time and give them away... all my sisters, nieces, nephews, my kids, my grandkids my parental in law units, even a few friends, all have at least one, some have two. But, those are gifts that God laid on my heart to give. Past that, not worried about who is offended.

Evilynn
June 26th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I agree with kensington. Don't let friends pressure you! It's very unhealthy for you. Next time someone comes up with that "brilliant" idea that you could make them something, say out loud that at the moment you have different things in your head. And perhaps explaining them, how much quilt supplies cost (everyone here knows that they are not cheap!) might be an eyeopener. Not even to mention the time that goes into the piece. They might think you whip it up in an hour or so, explain them that it takes a lot time (and often tears or frustration coz it doesn't work out the way you'd like :D ) to make something. I do like to give stuff away myself. Then I give something away but not because someone asked me to but because it just felt right. Straight from the heart. I think that those are the best gifts. Or when you planned something for someone completely voluntarily.

Other than that: Please take care in your job. It's dangerous and I am thankful you're brave enough to make other people's life safer. And you surely earned your vacation and I hope you find the so much needed relaxation!

Many hugs,

Steffie

ilive2craft2
June 26th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Oh Shannon - you have enough stress without so called friends making your stress relief stressful! I know that your swap buddies will love whatever you do - so no stress on those and quilting needs to be your stress relief from everything else in your life. Keep yourself safe!

Miss Sheri
June 26th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Sweet Shannon,
Just breathe..., slowly in...and slowly out... release all that stress with the out going breathe. Relax,...you are getting sleeeeepy. Take a well earned nap..... And HAPPY FORTIETH BIRTHDAY COMING UP HERE!!!!! When you get to that beautiful GREEN Isle. Enjoy every second. [hope I got a tiny smile in there somewhere :D]

cyndiofthevortex
June 26th, 2013, 02:33 AM
How wonderful that you get to go on vacation! And to Ireland! I'm so happy for you. Early birthday wishes to you as well!

I cannot imagine how stressful your job must be. Like everyone else I want to say, keep yourself safe!

I'm also asked so many times to make a quilt for someone. I've learned the hard way to say no. Be bold enough to politely ignore the request or to simply say I'm sorry but I can't do that for you.

dwil23
June 26th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I know where you are coming from as far as quilting goes, but can't imagine what you have to go through on a daily basis at work. Be safe.

bkthomas
June 26th, 2013, 05:16 AM
(((((((((Shannon))))))))))

As you can see, you are well loved here on the forum - will be thinking of you over the next few weeks - stay safe and have a wonderful vacation!!!

Bubby
June 26th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Shannon...I pray for you often. My DH and I both worked in maximum security male prisons. DH still works there and I took early retirement 5 years ago. Unless you work in one of these places you can't begin to fathom the risks and stress. Our state offers counseling for staff...about anything, not just the workplace. If your state offers that, you might take advantage of it. I received grief counseling through this service and it helped me alot.

Hugs....

Iris Girl
June 26th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Shannon stay safe in your job it is dangerous. Continue to think about vacation and the beautiful emerald isle calling to you. As far as swaps go all will be good, everyone loves getting gifts and forum gifts are the best. And for friends that think you can make a quilt for them for free. Tell them to go look at fabrics and supplies and you will give them a list of things you need to do it and your charge is 25 to 30 bucks and hour and you will get to it when you get to it. Other then tat kensy said it best. the things you give from your heart are always the best. stay safe and Have a happy 40th... remember it is just a number... everyone told me when you hit 40 things start to go bad...well for me that never happened...hitting 5 was another thing I have slowed down some with a few more aches and pains.

((((((quilty hugs)))))

Blondie
June 26th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Dear girl, everyone here would be more than happy to receive anything from you. I know I have been. I do know what you mean about stress in general. And turning 40? Oh, to be able to say that one again! lol.
Blessings to you; hang in there and lurk if you need to. Big hugs!

Monique
June 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Shannon, have a wonderful vacation. Stay safe. When someone wants a quilt, I usually tell them they are on the list. Just don't tell them they are at the bottom. LOL!!

And yes your mug rug will be loved no matter what.

MRoy
June 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Shannon, take care and enjoy your vacation on the Emerald Isle! Turning 40 will be a breeze for you! I know what you mean about swaps, I also tend to worry about it too much so I don't get involved in them...maybe later. ((((HUGS))))

Grandma G
June 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Shannon - I think we are all counting down the days until your vacation for you. You have a high stress job that I know I couldn't do. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

SallyO'Sews
June 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Shannon, please add my name to the list of your quilty friends who are praying for you! Hope you have a beautiful time in the Emerald Isle. One of these days, I would like to go there, too (both my maiden & married surnames are Irish). And turning 40? Best thing ever! Enjoy!

As for the quilt requests... how about suggesting a barter? Like, "Okay, I'd be glad to make a quilt for you... when can you come over and put a new deck on my house?" Or, "Oh, that's so great! You're going to make Thanksgiving dinner for my family! Let's see... there will be 17 of us." Or if the friend is a CPA, "I'll drop all my tax stuff off at your house tomorrow!" :icon_heh:

Okay, I'll stop being snarky here... Just try to cut yourself some slack. Remember that Serenity Prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Sometimes I think that the hardest part is the last. Blessings, ~ Sally \0/