PDA

View Full Version : Need help making machine purchase

bellasnanny247
June 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, I am not in a financial position to purchase a brand new machine and want to get a trusted brand. I have been looking/researching the usual suspects: Janome, Bernina, Pfaff, however, I have had lots of experience on the Viking Freesia/Scandinavia models(have been able to borrow them). I have located a used Viking identical to the one with which I am familiar, and an Elna Heirloom 6005-both are about the same price. I am torn-and hoping for some advice. The Viking only has 23 stitches, the Elna has 99. I realize that if I buy the Viking, at least I know what I am getting---but have never sewn on an Elna. I do know they are good machines and have used an Elna embroidery machine in the past.
Interestingly enough-I found a nice Viking 500 on the goodwill online auction site-it appears to be in great condition, but missing most of the presser feet. When I last checked, it was up to $212.00. Goodwill does have a return policy which is nice.

Anyway-do I go with the Viking or Elna?

Thanks!

Musical_Starling
June 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I would go with whichever one best suits your needs and can be serviced locally. You'll be so thankful for being able to have it serviced if something goes wonky! If you haven't already, check out your local dealers. They often have some great deals on used models :)

mom4him
June 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I agree with Dee. Service is sooooo important. I have never had either brand. I will say that the only 23 stitches would not be a deterant for me. I do use some decorative stitches but not that many. I am sure I would be happy choosing between 23.

lilmouse
June 26th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I own an Elna and love it.....hope this helps...they are a good machine and made by Janome if that helps any!