PDA

View Full Version : Back from Amish Country

quilter.martha
June 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM
We got back from our trip to Lancaster Saturday night. What a wonderful trip we had! I find it so relaxing and peaceful there--I just totally love being there. We stay in an old farm house right in the middle of Amish farmers. We can sit on the front porch and watch the men working in the fields with their teams and listen to the buggies go clip clop all day long. Fabric shopping was a blast. I made it to Burkholders, Old Country Store, Zooks and the Fabric Shack. Each store is so different--Burkholders by far has the largest selection of fabric and is probably the most expensive, except for the fact that I made it to a 25% store wide sale. Zooks and Fabric Shack are probably the lowest price and are fun places to shop as they carry fabric for the Amish clothes in addition to the quilting fabric. But I think I have to say Old Country Store is my favorite. They have a good selection of fabric and also sell local made crafts and quilts. And then they have a museum upstairs of quilts that is quite nice. This year the museum was highlighting Kansas Troubles fabric designer Lynne Hagmeier's quilts. One of her quilts is below in my pics.

I've posted a few pics below of life in Amish country. The sunset was taken from our front porch on the first night. 49984499854998649987

grannyann
June 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I am so glad you were able to enjoy your trip to the Amish Country. I love going to Arthur Ill. and visiting the Amish stores . Their life is a much more slower and calmer , peaceful then ours and I think that is why we enjoy it so much and can relax.
Thanks for sharing your photos and trip information.

bubba
June 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Beautiful!!! I love that part of the country!!

rebeccas-sewing
June 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Makes me homesick seeing those photos! It always makes me sad that Mom and sis moved away from there after my dad died. I have such good memories living in the Amish country of Pennsylvania.

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Jealous right now. It's been about 3 or 4 years since I was there - enjoyed all the stores you mentioned, too.

Monique
June 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
It is a beautiful place. I get to go back in September when I go on a bus trip and quilt show in Philadelphia. We always stay at the Continental Inn at Lancaster.

cyndiofthevortex
June 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Welcome home, Martha! Will you be showing us any pictures of the goodies that you bought?

Panda
June 24th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I am glad you made it to all of those shops. They are my favorite. I live only a half an hour from them. I was in zook's on Thursday. I was joking with my husband and said "if I see a car from NH, I was going to call out for quilting Martha." I also made it to Burkholders for their sale, but I went the week before. Burkholders is about an hour and 15 minutes from me, but there are lots of places I stop along the way, like Shady Maple. I agree that it is a very relaxing place. If I need to de- stress, I take a ride out to Lancaster county. I am glad you had a great time here in my area.

Kathy

Bailey65
June 24th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Martha is sounds like you had a wonderful time :) You have given me even more of an itch to want to go there. Hopefully you will share with us what you purchased :D

Iris Girl
June 24th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Have not been there since before I was married when I took my mom and my fave aunt out we spent a week roaming the area, hit those stores also. I tried once to get hubby to go but he had no interest at all.

auntiemern
June 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Sounds wonderful. I love quiet little places like that. Would love to take a de-stress trip soon.

Lissau
June 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM
l dream about visiting the USA one day and Amish country is one of my desires to see.. glad you had such a great time :)

Karena1984
June 24th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I am feeling guilty!! I moved away from there as fast as I could!! I adored the shops but I missed my mountains! I'm going to Lititz in a few weeks so I may have to do some fabric shopping myself while I'm there!!

lilmouse
June 25th, 2013, 12:06 AM
So glad you enjoyed yourself.....waiting for more pictures of your purchases...love the ones you already posted! And thanks for sharing with us!

quiltingtrish
June 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I'm glad you had such a good time. I love it there and plan on going in a few weeks myself.

Hugs,