PDA

View Full Version : Just home...

Evilynn
June 24th, 2013, 06:34 AM
... from my last chemo. Hello friends :)

Jeez, I am glad that I have the yucky part behind me. Now I only have to see how I feel for the following week. Hope it's like last cycle (yes, I got the same meds) - that would be awesome! I felt NEARLY normal. Was great and it made me really thankful.

I was thinking during my treatments today, how many thousands of € (or $ in your case) are running through my veins at this very moment. Since I had my phone with me I googled. Well, it depends, sometimes a chemotreatment can cost up to 40 k $ (yes, a single one!!!) but I think in my case it was "only" 7 k $. Per treatment. Ugh. I am glad that I only have to pay 7,50 € for that. That made me wonder, how do people without insurance pay those crazy sums? Also, where do those insane profits go? You cannot tell me that the actual cost of those is really that high... no I think someone is making big time $$$££££€€€ with those. Hm. Oh well, nothing we can do about at the moment!

Perhaps I should think less and just worry about resting now :) That's it, Steffie out!

Hugs!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 24th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Glad that part is behind you! My husband had brain cancer and he took an oral chemo drug for 6 weeks. It was $9000 for a month supply. With our insurance ( good insurance, thank heaven!) we paid a $20 for the meds.

We need to remember that drug companies pour millions of dollars into the research and development of the drugs, and when they are found to be safe and effective, they try to recoup some of those costs. I don't know what you do without the help of insurance. I know you can get help through foundations, participate in clinical trials, and there are other resources. Cancer is such a big area of health care where there are a lot of variables for treatment based on individual cases. For you, I m just so glad you have this part of your treatment behind you, and that you continue to regain your strength and your health and can enjoy that precious baby as she grows up!

Bubby
June 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I'm so glad the chemo is done. Now rest and begin feeling better. When my hsband Mike took his treatments (2005-2007) his chemo cost $22,000 per week. I don't remember what the radiation treatments cost, but I know his total for treatments exceeded $2,000,000. We had insurance, but still had to pay copays.

I hope you start feeling better soon....take care of your sweet self.

Evilynn
June 24th, 2013, 07:28 AM
2 M?? Holy canoooooliiie! I'm shocked.

MRoy
June 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Steffie, I'm glad you've finished the chemo. Rest up and take care.

Monique
June 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Steffie, glad it's the last. Rest and take it easy.

Iris Girl
June 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Glad your chemo is over rest and get better. The cost of health insurance is most prohibitive here. Hopefully we stay healthy as we have no insurance at all, which is more common then it should be for this great country.

Genny
June 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Steffie I'm so glad you're done with chemo, now you can sit back, relax and start getting stronger. Think ahead to the future that you will spend with your little one. Genny

asta
June 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Glad the treatments are done Steffie. Now be sure to take it easy and get all the rest your body is craving.
(((((hugs))))))
Beth

Mpyles
June 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Yay steffie!! So happy for you!,

HandsOffItsMine
June 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Steffie, yea!!!! That the last one is done and that you may start to feel like your old self!

Health care is crazy! My mams hit her $5 million cap in less than 4 years with her cancer treatment - she had 22 surgeries in the first 2 years alone along with the radiation treatment/implants/etc.

I've always had insurance until 2 years ago, it's scary to not have it! A trip to Urgent Care last week for a 3 day none ending migraine and tension headache with vomiting - Visit with doctor 10 minutes max, 1 pain shot, refill for 15 days for one med to find a doctor who will take me without insurance (been trying that for 3 months without success) because it has withdrawal systems), 2 prescriptions for 5 tablets for migraines = $416 cash plus $65 prescriptions! I only went because I was desperate, dehydrated and losing weight...

Now any other month I would be worried about making rent on the 1st - Thank GOD that Don went to Calif. for a job for a month. However, now we're not going to be ahead of the game again. It's a vicious cycle without insurance on the family budget.

I'm glad that you have your health taken care of in Finland! (((Steffie))) That is one less thing that you don't have to worry about, you have enough to worry about when you're sick. I'm thankful that my breast biopsy is being covered by Cobb County's Women Over 50's program! :) I wouldn't have the money for the 26 mammogram films and the ultrasound they have done so far.

Huggers, Ruby

MayinJerset
June 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Glad for you Steffie and hope you can rest up and feel like yourself again. May in Jersey

WendyI
June 24th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Steffie! So happy to read this! If I was there we'd celebrate! Where is Sandy with her happy dancin avatar!?

Hopefully the week will go by quick and you can start getting to feeling back to your regular self! xox

mommadeb
June 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Glad it's done. Hope you get feeling better soon.

K. McEuen
June 26th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Glad you have finished your chemo!

I know some of the costs are also due to transport here. A friend of mine works as courier who picks up the chemo cocktails here at the University hospital and drives them all over the state to smaller hospitals and treatment centers that don't mix their own. Marc has to wear a badge that detects radiation because some of the stuff he carries is for the next stage of treatment as well.

I know one of the shots my mom took after each chemo treatment to make her feel a bit better was over $4000.00 a shot.

6swolcott
June 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
so thankful it was your last treatment , rest rest rest, it will help you heal

bubba
June 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Here's hoping all goes well and that the awful disease has left your body and you will go on to live a long, healthy life!

My husband takes Enbrel injections, they are $400 per shot, and he uses one a week. With our medical, a monthly prescription is $5, so we are getting a great deal!!! I know the company that makes it, if you don't have insurance, has a program where they will provide it to you for $75 a month. My husband said a lot of the drug companies do that. I find it amazing the profits on these drugs, but I know that Enbrel, for my husband, is a miracle drug!

HdWench
June 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM
So glad to read this is your LAST one Steffie!

That makes sense about the so many years scientist try to get 1 pill or treatment into perfection! Then from what I've read that company only has it protected for so many years until it goes generic and everyone can steal their hard work. I've only disability care and no clue how people handle these huge bills... somehow it's worth every sacrifice to see your baby grow up and give you grandchildren in the future!

Please take care and hope it goes as good as the last time for you :-)