PDA

View Full Version : Funny, true story from this afternoon

nyscpa2be
June 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
I have a feeling my quilting friends will enjoy this story! And I haven't made it back to the quilting board yet - this happened 3 hours ago, and is a copy of my facebook post. Dang distractions.

Ah, the pastoral, agrarian lifestyle that America depends on. Founded by our fathers, and kept in place by traditional gender roles. So it happens that, on a sunny, humid, late June afternoon, the womenfolk, or single daughter, was inside, quilting, cleaning, and contemplating what to serve the men for dinner. The menfolk, or single farmer in this case, meanwhile, was out in the fields, mowing long sheaves of grass on the John Deere. Until that fateful moment comes - "I'm Stuck - come pull me out". Of course, the woman does her duty and follows his request, following him out to the barn, driving together in the trusty Dodge pickup to the site of the mishap. Ah, of course he needs help, she thinks, until she sees that the stuck "tractor" is the riding mower. Well, at least I can get back to my necessary household chores in short order, she says to herself. Until, of course, the truck becomes mired in the thick, burnt umber mud as well. Well, heck, it's a Sunday in summer, might as well make it a tractor pull! Out comes the big John Deere, which is attached via tow rope to the Dodge, which in turn is pulling the lawn mower. Yes, God has answered prayers, all three vehicles move, and are no longer stuck. Life can now return to normal, and I can get back to my quilting. Love you Dad!

grannyann
June 23rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
Great story I love it. Glad all worked out in the end.

lilmouse
June 24th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Too funny, I can just imagine that scene!

Granny Judy
June 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Been there, done that.. only it was SNOW and the pickup with the blade on the front... Again, out comes the Big 4 wheel drive John deere tractor. Nothing Runs like a DEERE........LOL

WendyI
June 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
LOL! Sounds like a blast to me!

SuzyQue
June 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Pulling out someone stuck in the mud is not my idea of fun and times two doesn't make it any better.......................but a funny story. Glad it all worked out for you!

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Ah, Amy. You remind me of the time my father (who could be stubborn with an "I can do this by myself" attitude) came to the house to tell Mom and I that he was stuck. He had hauled some trash to the holler and backed down to the edge to unload. He was at an angle and with a slick hill he just couldn't get enough momentum to move. Mom and I were stationed at the back of the truck bed to push while Dad 'gunned' it. And, just has he started moving, the truck slid sideways and those spinning wheels laid sloppy mud on Mom - from the top of her head to the bottom of her feet. She was coated. Of course, Dad climbs out of the truck with a smirk on his face and apologized profusely . . . and Mom was madder than an old wet hen.