PDA

View Full Version : How my morning started...

Genny
June 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
For the past few days we've been hearing something in our bathroom ceiling:icon_rolleyes: This morning I kept hearing it louder and then I heard it in our Exhaust Fan and looked up and there was something trying to get out of the cover :icon_scared: My husband was down in the garage talking on the phone with one of his friends and I picked up the extension phone and...shaking...said "You need to get up here right now"!!! He comes running up the steps and into the bathroom. I get him the step ladder, a large bag and when he gets into the bathroom...I shut the door!!!:icon_shake: and tell him "I love you" (just in case he doesn't make it back out). He comes out a few minutes later with a BAT in the bag! :icon_woohoo: He then takes it outside and turns it loose. I do love that man:icon_hug::icon_kiss: My blood pressure has now back to normal...:D

kelliedi
June 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
OMG now to look for the bat guano... you could sell it and make lots of money...for fabric of course. and to figure out how he got in... cause if there is one there are more..... but they do eat mosquitoes by the thousands...

SuzyQue
June 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
YIKES!!! Thank heaven for brave and daring hubbys!!!! I hope your day improves!

cyndiofthevortex
June 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
LOL! Great story! I bet your bat had elevated blood pressure, too! But he now has an adventure to tell the kids. And so do you.

Bubby
June 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
That's an unsual visitor! We actually have quite a few bats in our area...glad you caught it and was able to release it.

Roxanne
June 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
I went thru a period where I was having bat problems. I hate those things. Last one got into the basement some how. My husband was away so I had to take care of it myself. I opened the basement door and stood there with a blanket over my head and a broom in my hand. Probably looked pretty comical, but finally the bat flew out.

PeggyM
June 23rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Ewwwww. My sister works in a turn of the century funeral home that had a bat occupying the upstairs living quarters. They hadn't seen the bat, just the guano. She came in one day and found it in the toilet in the ladies room downstairs. She called me frantic...to flush or not to flush? The family was due in any minute, and she didn't want a flood. It ended well.

K. McEuen
June 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
You need to check your attic area to make sure they aren't living up there and for any holes that they can use and entry and exits. You can get sick from their guano if it builds up in your house.

bakermom
June 23rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Be careful with bats, they carry rabies. we've had 3 cases here in the last few months where people found bats in the house and tested positive.
We have made bat houses to put out because they do reduce mosquitoes etc. so they are good to have around. you just have to be careful handling them

nyscpa2be
June 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
EEEEKKKK! I would have been screaming too. On the other hand, does your hubby's take-care-of-it gene get sold to other men? Cause none of mine have ever had it, and I need to find someone with it. :)

cindyinohio
June 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Had a friend several years ago that had a bat in their bedroom. She did the same thing..shut husband in there....Big mistake...he used a BB gun....blood every where!!!!
Daughter's house was infested with fleas and she kept telling her husband she saw them coming under the trim in the bedroom. He thot she was nuts but finally out of anger he hit the dry wall with his fist and put a hole in it. There was a hidden fire place (old House) that hadn't been closed up and a raccoon was living there. Talk about a mess!!!!

grannyann
June 23rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Gosh you ladies sure have some real good, funny and interesting stories in this thread. Just love it. Made me laugh just picturing you gals closing your husbands in the room and the one to flush or not cracked me up.

auntiemern
June 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Not funny. I would still be shaking, and not back in the house until I knew there were no more, and how the heck it got in there, and that the source of entry was sealed. Cannot stand those little creatures. I understand they are part of circle of life, but not my circle.

Hulamoon
June 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
I think bat's are cool! Someone brought one to show and tell when I was in grade school. We actually have bat's in Hawaii with the largest population here on Kauai. There are a few caves dotted around the island so you hardly ever see them. We don't have rabies in Hawaii so I would never fear them.

aliaslaceygreen
June 23rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
OMG.... Thank you, but no!!! Bats belong OUTSIDE!!!!!!!

Wwena
June 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rofl poor creature! And poor bat too. ;)

Our cat (my mom's really) once caught a bat and was nice enough to leave the head and upper part of the wings in my mom's bed as a gift. She was soooo proud - the cat, not my mom... :D

MayinJerset
June 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Holy Batman you really had a surprise!

grannyann
June 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
We had two in our church a while back They had all the doors open hoping they would find their way out side.
I think eventually they did because Mass went on and I didn't see them all through the Mass.
I certainly don't like them.

Genny
June 23rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Rofl poor creature! And poor bat too. ;)

Our cat (my mom's really) once caught a bat and was nice enough to leave the head and upper part of the wings in my mom's bed as a gift. She was soooo proud - the cat, not my mom... :D

My daughters 2 cats use to leave all kinds of remains at her front door as gifts...they seemed so proud of themselves...My daughter was just disgusted.

toggpine
June 24th, 2013, 01:28 AM
My guess is the bat crawled into the vent cap thinking it was a bat house type thing. Once it got in, it couldn't get out, and down was the only option.
I'm not sure I'd be happy about it either!

Our barn cats bring gifts. I think it's to prove they are doing their job, so we'll keep feeding them. The strangest "gift" came from our livestock guardian dog. He used to bring me opossums. When they played dead they would hunch up their shoulders and he couldn't break their necks, so he'd bring them to me live and hissing. Nasty critters!