PDA

View Full Version : Confused about mail service and then some

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM
I ordered some charm packs from amazon (they didn't have them here) I got one pkg yesterday by an outside source. Today I got four from amazon that state on the outside USPS but was delivered by UPS? Can anyone clear my mind of this? lol

Also beware of amazon. If you look at the fine print, if it's not coming from the warehouse the original seller can charge shipping on each item separately. When it came it was in a first class envelope and I think it was fifteen $ shipping. Learned my lesson there. Then I looked on Etsy :icon_doh:

kelliedi
June 21st, 2013, 09:03 PM
sometimes UPS will have USPS deliver packages. and the other way around too.

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2013, 09:14 PM
But why? lol Is that why the USPS is raising their prices because they are out sourcing deliveries?

Grandma G
June 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM
Lorie - I have been a customer of Amazon for many years and have always found them to be highly reputable. If you buy from a third party business through Amazon you are at the mercy of that third party seller. In the instance with you where the original seller charged separate shipping charges, I would shoot an email to Amazon and complain. They may not be able to correct the problem but they will certainly listen and if they hear from enough people having the same issues they could cut ties with that seller. I have always received outstanding service from Amazon. I always read the fine print when placing an order through a third party seller just to avoid what happened to you.

Sorry this happened to you.

Gerri

Jean Sewing Machine
June 21st, 2013, 10:15 PM
There has been a connection between USPS and UPS for years. I don't exactly understand it, but they help each other.

I've ordered used books from Amazon, and they do slap a $3.95 delivery on each book, guess it's the same for fabric.

Mpyles
June 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
UPS Mail Innovations | Support | Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs (http://www.upsmailinnovations.com/support/frequentlyaskedquestions.html)

Grandma G
June 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM
There has been a connection between USPS and UPS for years. I don't exactly understand it, but they help each other.

I've ordered used books from Amazon, and they do slap a $3.95 delivery on each book, guess it's the same for fabric.

Jean - if you buy used books from Amazon they are actually from a third party seller, therefore you pay those shipping rates. To my knowledge Amazon does not sell used "anything" from their warehouses. Third party sellers also sell new books through Amazon and some of them will not charge for shipping if you are a Prime Customer and they have set up a contractual agreement with Amazon. I have bought many used/like new books through Amazon and if the seller did not have that agreement for Prime customers then I have had to pay that $3.99 shipping charge. Same goes for other items, not just books. But, in most instances, you have to be a Prime Customer to avoid the shipping charges. Amazon uses third party sellers in an attempt to offer more goods to potential customers.

Hulamoon
June 22nd, 2013, 12:36 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love Amazon! I got free shipping because I spent enough from them from the warehouse.

An outside seller combined shipping on two packs. It was the third seller that charged shipping on each pack and put it in one first class envelope. I never ordered so many items at once and that one slipped by me.

I'm not warning against Amazon, just read the fine print.

Sandy that was a big help. Not

dwil23
June 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
USPS most commonly partners with Fed-Ex. Usually, it is Fed-Ex that delivers it the distance, then USPS takes it the last mile.

One reason is that Fed-Ex, as you may know, flies EVERYTHING in to Memphis where it is sorted overnight and flown to it's destination in the early morning hours. The planes then have to return to Memphis empty (they call this a dayturn). A few years ago, someone got the idea that they could contract with USPS to transport mail to Memphis on the dayturn instead of flying an empty airplane. That mail is then sorted to it's destination during the day and sent on that night.

It's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the short explanation.

Hulamoon
June 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
USPS most commonly partners with Fed-Ex. Usually, it is Fed-Ex that delivers it the distance, then USPS takes it the last mile.

One reason is that Fed-Ex, as you may know, flies EVERYTHING in to Memphis where it is sorted overnight and flown to it's destination in the early morning hours. The planes then have to return to Memphis empty (they call this a dayturn). A few years ago, someone got the idea that they could contract with USPS to transport mail to Memphis on the dayturn instead of flying an empty airplane. That mail is then sorted to it's destination during the day and sent on that night.

It's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the short explanation.

Thank you! Makes total sense. So one more question. If USPS and UPS are sharing the plane ride together why is UPS so expensive? lol

Jean Sewing Machine
June 22nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
I take a WAG ( wild A$$ guess) that it's because fuel costs have gone up so much. Did you notice the UPS driver turns off his truck when he runs up and heaves your package on to the porch, rings the bell and is back in the truck witin three seconds? It is to conserve fuel.

shannonsaulter
June 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
No idea..maybe the economy I mean gas here is back over $4

Mchelem
June 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM
I take a WAG ( wild A$$ guess) that it's because fuel costs have gone up so much. Did you notice the UPS driver turns off his truck when he runs up and heaves your package on to the porch, rings the bell and is back in the truck witin three seconds? It is to conserve fuel.

Ours doesn't. He leaves it running..... And he blocks the road/driveway/bay doors, etc.

Sandy Navas
June 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love Amazon! I got free shipping because I spent enough from them from the warehouse.

An outside seller combined shipping on two packs. It was the third seller that charged shipping on each pack and put it in one first class envelope. I never ordered so many items at once and that one slipped by me.

I'm not warning against Amazon, just read the fine print.

Sandy that was a big help. Not

http://urredeemed.com/images/article%20images/what%20did%20i%20do.jpg (http://urredeemed.com/Spiritual/what_did_i_do.html)

Hulamoon
June 22nd, 2013, 11:18 PM
Oh, nothing.

Bubby
June 23rd, 2013, 03:13 AM
Sometimes the packages from M* are sent UPS and other times via USPS. I think it's a matter of which is cheaper.

dwil23
June 23rd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Thank you! Makes total sense. So one more question. If USPS and UPS are sharing the plane ride together why is UPS so expensive? lol
Could be wrong, but my guess is:

1. Private, for profit company - no federal regulators.
2. They pay their employees better.