PDA

View Full Version : Four people shot in Greenvile, KY...

WendyI
June 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
I just got a CNN feed about this...and earlier in the week there was another multi-victim shooting incident in the US.

PLEASE help me understand!! As a Canadian, I simply can NOT understand the gun thing. I don't get why so many people feel they need to "bear arms"....so many senseless deaths! And before the phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is used, let me tell you right now that I personally feel that is NRA GARBAGE. GUNS kill...the end. If a two year old gets a gun do you think he KNOWS that he's going to kill someone if he points it and pulls the trigger? GUNS kill people...period.

I am not trying to start a violent debate on the second amendment but as mothers and grandmothers ...don't you all want to stop this senseless killing in your country? Should you not all be stomping your feet and screaming at the top of your lungs that enough of your children and families have been murdered because of easy access to weapons that are meant for military and police use!? Are you not tired of the choke hold that the NRA has on your government and in fact your very lives?

We do NOT have this happen in Canada. It is so rare that if it does happen the entire Nation grieves and we are shocked by it to our very core. We control guns here and no one is being mass murdered in our towns and cities and public schools. Why can't America see the differences in the murder rates by guns and the TYPES of guns being used? There is always quoting of statistics and how gun violence has decreased and so many different ways that 2nd amendment lovers will explain why it is right. But as a Canadian looking in, I can tell you its flawed thinking, and I just can't wrap my head around it. Please, PLEASE look at the difference in gun deaths in Canada versus the US. Oh and I already know the NRA has a warped statistics for that too. The plain and simple truth is that the only people who should carry guns are military and police who are trained in their usage.

I ask this question and start this thread not to foster fighting but to encourage LOVE of our fellow human beings and THOUGHTFUL discourse. Don't you think it's time that rational thinking overtakes archaic laws that were put into place when people were using muskets to defend the frontier? As mothers and grandmothers....do you really think the second amendment protects your loved ones?

And finally...I cannot recall a single news report where someone successfully defended their home by shooting an intruder. Or stopped a violent crime by shooting the criminal. Or stopped a mass murder because they were armed. If you see these stories then please do share them with me. I am ONLY trying, from a Canadian perspective to UNDERSTAND! Because right now I truly and honestly cannot and my heart literally breaks every time I read of another senseless death because some ill or violent person had access to weapons because it was their RIGHT.

I'm not trying to offend or start anything...I really am not..I just honestly and truly don't get it.

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM
I'm shutting this down now. This is a quilting forum and I know Al has said no discussion of politics and this hits very close to that to me. I see nothing but trouble by allowing this thread to remain open. Guns are an American right given in the Constitution and some people are very adamant on this subject, both for and against and I for one don't want to deal with trying to keep a topic like this civil.