PDA

View Full Version : State of Emergency

Tanya D
June 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
I live in Airdrie, just north of Calgary, AB

Calgary is under a state of emergency due to flooding. We are about 2 hours East of the Rocky Mountains and the world famous Banff, AB. They have been getting rain (as are we) added to the snowpack melting and it's a mess. Canmore, AB is flooded and roads are washed out. You cannot get in or out of Canmore.

The Bow River which is fed from a glacier in Banff flows right thru Calgary. It is expected to crest this afternoon. The Elbow River which is also fed from the mountains crested during the night.

100,000 people were evacuated out of river communities in Calgary last night. Two towns south of Calgary, Okotoks and High River are under water.

I have never seen anything like it in all my years of living in this area.

We are high enough where I live...we have a creek running thru town and it is high but we are safe here.

If you have time and want to look at some unbelievable pictures, Google Calgary 2013 flood. And note that Google has done homage to us with their logo.

Roxanne
June 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Happy to hear you are safe. Flooding is a scary thing. Hope everyone up there stays safe.

aliaslaceygreen
June 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have a lot of FB friends, apparently, who are in Canada, based on the number of different posts I have seen about this today! I hope that things calm down soon, and that the evacuations go safely ....((HUGS))

Renate
June 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Tanya, great to read, that you are save. My thoughts are with all the people who have a loss by the flood.

WendyI
June 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
That's so incredible!! I can't believe how flooded it all is! Water is an AMAZING force! Glad you are safe and hope others are as well! xox

Sandy Navas
June 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Scary. Feel for anyone facing any type catastrophe - fires, water, winds . . . BE SAFE.

SallyO'Sews
June 21st, 2013, 12:10 PM
Tanya, I was just on CNN.com and saw some horrifying photos of the flooding in Canmore, and thought of you. Please stay safe.
Hugs and blessings, ~ Sally \0/

Tanya D
June 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM
It's just a mess...and it's only going to get worse when the Bow River crests this afternoon. This is a city of over 1 million people and it's pretty much shut down. Deerfoot Trail is the main thoroughfare thru the city. It basically runs beside the river and crosses over it in several spots. They have it closed down.

The Calgary Zoo is on an island with the Bow River running on either side of it. Lastnight they were trying to build a berm around it to protect the animals. The river is so high and fast, it will tear that berm apart.

They brought the Army in...you know it's bad when the Army moves in.

bakermom
June 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM
scary! glad you're safe!

MayinJerset
June 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
scary! glad you're safe!
ME TOO AND HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO BE SAFE FROM THE FLOODS.

Evilynn
June 21st, 2013, 01:02 PM
That reminds me of the flood they had in Germany. I am so sorry. Amazing what a force water can become. I hope you stay safe and will have the people who weren't as lucky in my mind!

auntiemern
June 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Water is a scary force. Glad to hear you are safe. Prayers for those in harms way.

Tanya D
June 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Here's some images

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/20/pictures-and-videos-of-massive-flooding-in-canmore-and-southern-alberta/

Jean Sewing Machine
June 21st, 2013, 01:17 PM
Tanya, I pray you ARe safe and your family and friends are also. We visited Banff in 1999, remember the Bow
river and the Frasier River. Such beautiful country. I cried when I saw Lake Louise, never thought I would actually ever get to see it! Beautiful! Floods are so scary, they are terribly devastating!

grammakim04
June 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
It's so scary being so near to the flooded areas, but far enough away knowing we are safe...right Tanya.(we both live in the same area) So many people have been evacuated from their homes...you just can't stop watching the news.

Please keep Southern Alberta in your prayers...things are changing by the hour here.

Kim

Miss Sheri
June 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
((((Tanya and Kim)))), Hang in there ladies! It is astonishing to see the devastation. Lots of prayers headed your way.

cyndiofthevortex
June 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
I was so sorry to hear about this on the news last night. I'm glad to hear you are safe. What a terrible tragedy for so many! The pictures say it all.

nyscpa2be
June 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I just saw this online on NBCnews.com - it truly is awful. Stay safe, and if there is any way to help, please let us know!

sally
June 21st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Tanya, my grandmother came west to High River in 1906. She told of the floods...named High River for a reason I quess even so really hard to see those poor folk forced from their homes. Dad came from Calgary and he talked of the mighty bow river. I hope the rains stop soon ! I am in Okanagan of BC and we too are having flooding issues. The town of Kaslo practically cut off due to mud slids and washed away roads. It has rained straight for 2 days. Even our sump pump came on and that is a first since we moved into this house. Take care!

Tanya D
June 21st, 2013, 04:18 PM
I've heard so many awful things. The Saddledome, where the Calgary Flames (NHL Hockey team) play is filling with water. Last I heard the water was up to the 10th row of seats and the dressing rooms are completely submerged.

I have also heard they evacuated the animals from the zoo and they are now being kept in the jail cells at the main police station and the courthouse in Calgary. Crazy!!!

I went home at lunch and watched the news...just completely unbelievable. The Calgary Stampede grounds are under water. If you have never heard of the Stampede, it's a 10 day rodeo, exhibition and fair that goes every year. Visitors from all over the world come to the Stampede. They get over a million people thru the gates. It starts 2 weeks from now.

My parents are in Calgary but they are higher up and are safe. Airdrie is only 20 minutes north of Calgary so it's right in my back yard.

And the rain, OMG the rain just won't let up. It's pouring here as it is in Calgary. My husband works in Calgary and his drive in this morning was horrendous. As for him getting home, he'll have to take a very long way around the city.

It's just so sad to see the devastation. I saw one video of a whole house going down the river and crashing into a bridge.

ilive2craft2
June 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Oh Tanya and Kim, I am so glad that you are both safe. Praying for all of those impacted by this flooding.

Bubby
June 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Wow, that's incredible.! I'm thankful you are okay. Nothing scares me more than water outside of its borders...my thoughts and prayers will be with those who are enduring this crisis.

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
You guys are just getting dumped on up there! I had to laugh a bit when you said the animals were being kept in the jail, but I agree, it is crazy. I hope the rain lets up soon or else you figure out a way to send it down to New Mexico.

Over40momma
June 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
Glad you see you girls are okay and on relatively higher ground. The disaster has only started, those melt waters added to the rain......and my heart hurts for all those families. I fear for those who live south of the border.....that water is flowing their way too.

Ladies, keep us updated as to your safety please.

MRoy
June 21st, 2013, 06:50 PM
I hope the rain stops soon and the water recedes quickly. So sorry for the devastation to so many and glad you are OK.

Monique
June 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM
Tanya and Kim, I am happy to hear you are both safe. Prayers going out to all who are displaced because of the flood waters.

janluna
June 21st, 2013, 11:28 PM
Prayers being said for all those poor people hurt by the flooding. We will keep Praying for everyone being attacked by the weather, as we have for OK., MO., for Calif. and N.M. And anyone else caught in these disasters. And for all those people having horrible droughts. The world has gone crazy! God Bless us all. Hugs, Jan L.

Kaytessa
June 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM
Prayers being said for all those poor people hurt by the flooding. We will keep Praying for everyone being attacked by the weather, as we have for OK., MO., for Calif. and N.M. And anyone else caught in these disasters. And for all those people having horrible droughts. The world has gone crazy! God Bless us all. Hugs, Jan L.

adding my prayers

phoots
June 22nd, 2013, 01:21 AM
Tanya, stay safe! I've heard and seen pictures on the news! I'm so sorry for all the damage! I will be praying for all the people in the Calgary area!

Pam in Vegas

Momofmonsters5
June 22nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
I heard about this yesterday. We listen to Canadian radio here because its one of the few in English, glad your safe