PDA

View Full Version : Not a great start to the Day

Nidan_07
June 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
:( Driving to work this morning, I noticed a car parked on the strip in the middle of the four lane road heading in the other direction. A man was parked there comforting a dog that was just lying there. There were all these cars slowing down to look at him but not stopping. I did a quick U turn at the lights and went back to him. I pulled up and said to him that there is a vet surgery just about 60 metres up the road and to jump in my car so that I could get the dog some help. He jumped in, and on the way he was telling me how someone hit the dog, slowed down and saw the dog laying on the road, but just drove off. As an avid animal lover, I was just really distressed about this. I got him and the dog to the vet, but we were too late to save it. Sssoo very upsetting. Was only a smallish dog that I could tell had some sort of mini poodle in it. It looked taken care of, as it had recently had a haircut and was well groomed. Somebody is now going to come home from work (and probably kids from school) and their loved pet won't be there to greet them. It was not microchipped so there is no way of tracing the owners. It seems that somehow the dog has escaped their yard and gotten onto the main road. I understand that the driver would not have hit this dog on purpose, but I just can not understand him or herknowing what has happend but not stopping, or anyone else passing by not stopping. Maybe it is just me being oversensitive. I can't bear thinking about some poor kids coming home from school today and not being met by their dog with his tail wagging.

Mpyles
June 20th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Wwww, poor pup....thank you for caring about him! So sad for his family.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 20th, 2013, 01:23 AM
This is very sad. I accidently hit a neighbor's dog one snowy night. He was injured, but not killed. His owners didn't know he got out and they took him to the vet, but the poor pooch died the next day. I was so distraught, the neighbors were comforting me instead of me comforting them. It's sad when a pet gets hit, but sometimes it can't be avoided. But you shouldn't just drive off!

Sandy Navas
June 20th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Just goes to show you how much respect people have. Sickening.

Tanya D
June 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
My heart breaks for this little pup's family. I witnessed a dog being hit by a car once...I stopped for him as he was on the side of the road but the car in the other lane couldn't see him. The dog crossed in front of me and I knew he was going to get hit...it was a sickening feeling. He was a little Yorkie and didn't stand a chance. He was killed instantly. We pulled off the road and picked him up and took him to the vet for them to contact his owners.

I don't understand why people don't stop...I'm so happy you did. Atleast this little pup had a couple of people around him that cared and he wasn't alone when he crossed the rainbow bridge.

mom4him
June 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
UGH! That isn't a great way to start the day. Thankfully you were there and took the time to care. It is so easy for a dog to get loose. We watch ours very carefully, have the whole yard fenced, etc and yet it happens. The last time someone came to our door and my husband was visiting with him. Two of our dogs slipped out and I yelled, "Are the gates closed?" Sure enough, the guy had NOT closed the gate and we were off on the chase. I shook my head in amazement. He is a rancher. Bet if someone went through one of his gates and let the bull in with the heifers he would have been hot made. LOL

EnumclawGramma
June 20th, 2013, 02:08 PM
This is just so sad. We had a beloved Cocker Spaniel get hit early one morning when he went out to greet my son after his paper route. It was right outside our house and it sounded like an explosion. The driver just went on, didn't even slow down. My kids were all young at the time and it was a tearful morning in our house. I had to wake them to this! I dealt with my grief a week or so later by writing a scathing letter to the editor of our local newspaper, directed at the driver. They published it.