PDA

View Full Version : Friday - I can spell!

Blondie
February 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/GMRainingUmbrellas.jpg

Good Morning Lovely Ladies!

Yes, when I saw how I mis spelled Thursday, oh well, I haven't figured out yet how to edit a title on this group. I reckon I type with an accent. LOL.

It is raining here. Thank you Lord. As much as I am not looking forward to getting out the umbrella, I will be thankful to NOT here about how much we need rain. Yesterday afternoon when I came home it was rain with some sleet in it. This is just pure old fashioned rain.
My granny used to say that each month borrows from the past and future. Like right now in February, it is borrowing some of the cold of January and some of the wind from March. And so on. Isn't it funny how we can remember things like this but can't remember where we put our keys or reading glasses?

Last night I started hand sewing on one of the quilts for the sisters - I did a dresden fan - a bit larger than a lap, smaller than a traditional. Just enough for them to sit under. I did a signature block for the bottom right hand corner:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/Quilts%20and%20sewing/Sisterssignature.jpg

I am thinking of hand quilting the muslin with multicolor threads. What do you think? I have certainly learned a LOT about piecing shirts. A totally different experience when using them to be sure. They also had in there some older fabric and dresses from their Mom that is OLD. I thought it would be dry rotted but they are just fine.

Have a good day, dear ones.

Patrice
February 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM
beautiful. and I like the idea of multi colored thread

quiltingtrish
February 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Friday - my kind of day since tomorrow is the day I do whatever I want, whenever I want. Looks like I'll be checking the windshields on the vehicles to see if there are any cracks from downed limbs. The winds are to get up there today.

Russell sounds like a hoot. It's probably a good thing he hightailed it out of there with all those beautiful ladies checking him out.

Today is the day DH calls to see about his 'investigation'. If there is still no news, I told him to phone the Intermediate Unit who hired him to see what his rights are. This is still riducleous.

Odie has pre-paperwork for his hernia surgery on Monday. Still doesn't know when the actual surgery is. He was angry last night at the thought of another 5 weeks there and not being able to start with his classes yesterday. He said he plans on reading alot of books while waiting. Here is a kid who struggled with reading until he hit the 9th grade. Then it just hit him and he's been reading ever since. One Christmas he asked for a book as a gift and he said 'but mom, it's a really thick one and it just came out so it will probably cost about $25.' So, I told him I didn't care how much it cost, he was ASKING for a book and it would be his. He's been reading everything he can get his hands on ever since.

Rain here too - guess I should grab the umbrella. Hugs,

Monique
February 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hum Friday!! Have chili, buns and mexican dip to make today for a birthday party tonight. Another day where I don't think there will be much quilting done.

There are two auction sales this weekend, don't know which one we will attend.

The snow that is coming will by-pass us again. That's ok with me.

Blondie, love your block and different colored thread sounds lovely.

Happy quilting everyone

Stay safe and stay warm and in some cases stay DRY!!

Monique

Shirley
February 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Very nice! I love the idea of multi colored thread!

Elaine
February 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
How nice. I think the multi colored threads would look beautiful.

Sandy Navas
February 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Friday, Friday, Friday!! Just another day of the week here. I'm glad that Blondie can spell Friday - wish I could send her a 'man Friday' to take care of all the little tidbit things that keep her from her passions. I know that LL is just one of her passions though, so don't want to keep her from that. Her Dresden is fantastic - but don't tell her I like it. I've been sneaking peeks at her blog and she's got more going on than an old wet hen trying to lay an egg under the watchful eye of a fox. Don't know where that came from - must be because I had to make my own coffee this morning.

Have an appointment this morning to get my stupid hand looked at. It's been giving me fits for several weeks now. We have about 6 inches of snow on the driveway and DH just drove down the length of it to make sure we can get out - snow plow hasn't been here yet. DH insists on driving me - which is great. Maybe I can get him to spring for breakfast out, too.

Have the binding ALMOST finished on my daughter's quilt. Just as I was finishing up last night I noticed that I had to undo a piece of the machine sewn binding where I started because it didn't catch all the underlying fabric. RATS!! But that won't take long. When I have that done, and the corners (my nemesis) done I'll take a photo and show off the label I put on it.

Looking for good health, wealth, happiness, warmth, and sunshine for all my MSQC friends!!!

Hugs!

ginampls
February 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
oh Sandy, i hate it when the happens... love the ripper.. i call mine Jack... i need to get a new one... soon as i believe mine is getting dull...

so... i am tired ... February has been hard... cabin fever is real and i need to move... long story... repairs not getting done been her 14 months... so about to call to get a viewing of an apt in another town with different school district...

bright and sunny and cold.... ice packed roads. and very little gas... but i have smokes. and coffee. so yeah me.. doing a sewing project for neighbor man,, nice old guy who is a pipeliner and needs bib overalls adjusted... tall man who needs some straps put in to shoulders... as bibs and not long enough for his torso.. nice gig... will pay me 10.00 a pair... easy peasy... 4 pairs done so far.. 10 more to go.... later

patticakes
February 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Never so glad to see a Friday as I am today!

Blondie - I had to smile about Russell and I am sure that all the lovely ladie's attention might have scared him but I am sure it also puts alittle pep in his step! Your quilt is going to be so beautiful with all that color and I think the multi color thread would fit right in! Hope you stay warm and dry today.

Trish - Poor Odie with his surgery! Are they allowed to have a Kindle? I love to read but never thought I would want one because it's not a "book" but I do love it!

Monique - An auction sounds like a fun! Haven't been to one in years but the last one I went to I bid on a box heaped full of old lace curtains and misc. stuff. Ended up being someone's really old sewing basket things. I ended up selling the lace curtains at a yard sale for lots more than I paid for the whole box of treasures!

Sandy - Can I get a "man Friday" too? I really just want to sew this weekend. Hope you get a good report on the hand. Can't wait to see the pic of your finished quilt!

Jan - you are so sweet, always watching out and giving us support when we need it. Thank you so much!

Sewsoft - I've been thinking of you lately and hope you are feeling better today!

Paula - glad the treatments didn't wipe you out this time. extra prayers for you today!

Sewhot/Sarah - How nice you popped in for a visit! See what you, Mom and family helped create? A quilty group of friends who really care about and support each other! It just feels so warm and cozy when you enter the "room"! Hope you come back often and join the fun!

Well, thanks for making my am break so enjoyable! Now back to the grind....but it is a happy grind cuz the weekend is waiting at the end of it!
Patti
Hope you

LynneLeavell
February 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Happy Friday everyone. So glad it's here. I have a baby shower tomorrow to go to for my DIL. 1 of 2. I have made two quilts for my new Grandson to be, I've had them back from the quilter for two weeks and now I'm down to the wire with the binding, as I need them tomorrow. I know I will have one completed and just tell her I need the other one back and I will finish it next week and give it back to her the next weekend when I see her.

Went to bed with rain last night and looks like it has moved out of Georgia so Blondie I guess you are getting our rain.

Quiltingtrish - I hope everything goes well with Odie and his surgery.

Sandy- I hope your hand appointment goes well.

Blondie - I like the idea as well of the multi colors in the muslin. The block looks great.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend and happy quilting.

Lynne

bakermom
February 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm planning on hiding out and sewing today. we've gotten a foot of snow since 1 a.m. and it's still coming down. I've got planned leftovers for supper so that's covered. don't need to stick my nose out again till work tonite. I have borders to put on a baby quilt then see if I can scare up enough batting for it. If not , it will sit till I get to joanns sunday for batting and backing. I have another quilt that needs the binding sewn down. I've been sorting thru some scraps and think I can squeeze out yet another baby quilt from them.

quiltingtrish
February 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Bakermom - where are you? A foot of snow. We're getting the high winds now in PA. Hope they don't get much higher.

Patti - you start your weekend yet? I did and making my weekend plans. I will get some sewing in. Between DH, Katie, and Odie's thoughts on my mind, the sewing has not been there. So, I am feeling the need to do something. Nothing from school yet about DH. He didn't even call anyone. Doesn't want to stir the pot. I don't understand why he hasn't called.

Well, I'm off to see other new posts and then need to get off of here.

Hope you all have a great Friday night.

Hugs,

janluna
February 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hello everyone, It's snowing and blowing in NY. Very cold out too because of the wind.
Trish we are keeping you, "Mr. Trish" and Odie in prayer. Joe said how many more people need prayer?? I keep forgetting names! I cracked up. I said God knows who needs them.
They will get to the right place. LOL He said "well, in the interim make me a list" He is too funny.
Sandy hope the doc helps your hand.
Blondie You are such a joy! You too Patti. Thanks. I try.
Well I am going to go take a nap. I know! How can I be sleepy? I slept from 4:30 to 7 and then from about 8 until 11. You'd think that was enough! Nope I'm sleepy!
Gina it is so good to have you back. Love you darlin. Hugs to all, Jan

middlesis1966
February 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Finally Friday, :icon_woohoo:. I can do whatever I want this weekend. Im ready to move my sewing room to a much larger area and Im pumped. Im so ready for the extra room. Its going to be nice to move around and not trip over everything. My stash has over taken my little hole so it will stay there while I move to the larger room. Man o live I cant believe fabric will have its own room, lol. This is so cool.
Jan sounds like your getting the nasty weather we had last night. The snow didnt stay around long. Atleast we didnt get as much snow as they said we were gonna get, whew. Stay warm.
Have a blast ladies and take care.

Lola2Ace
February 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hi all. Good evening. This new job is kicking my behind but good. I love it though, and having evenings with the family is a prayer answered.
Blondie, love your blocks. You are going to make that family so happy.
Trish, prayers to Odie for his upcoming surgery and his need for patience waiting. I sure hope you don't get the snowstorm we had this morning.
Paula, I am so happy for you, getting a new bigger! sewing area and you 'sound' like you are feeling so good today. I can feel your excitement.
Bakermom, we had a terrible snowstorm today too. The worst seems to be over and they did a great job on the roads this afternoon.
Lynne, would love to see your quilts. I am sure your DIL will understand if you don't get the binding quite done on 1 of them.
I am hoping to get quite a bit of sewing done tomorrow. Still trying to get this friendship braid quilt top done, and the fabric for the twin quilt has started arriving so I need to get that started.
Lola

toggpine
February 26th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Howdy All!
Our weather is cold, 23 degrees right now. I think they are predicting down to the teens tonight. I'm headed into put on another pair of socks!
I have all of the blocks made with my honey bun strips. The original pattern was designed for a jelly roll and made 20 blocks. The honey bun produced 40 blocks 5.5" in size. I have already had to do some work with the seam ripper, because I didn't lay out the blocks carefully enough. I though I had the pattern, but missed a couple of subtle differences. I think I have it now and will get some pictures once it's all sewn together. Then I need to find some fabrics for the borders to make a decent sized couch cuddle quilt. The blocks will probably make a good sized baby blanket with out borders. The colors aren't really my cup of tea, but it will make a great gift. It is also a good exercise before I bust into my Jelly Roll.
I hope you got good news on your hand Sandy. Poor Odie & his mom. He's a big boy (and a Marine) Mom, he'll manage just fine!
Maybe I can get the top done, as long as we don't loose power again tonight. That made me a bit cranky. Nothing like having your sewing time cut off in the middle of a project! I had better go clean up the kitchen and then get back to the machine.
Take care all!
Cathy

pdjewelrylady
February 26th, 2011, 12:30 AM
WHY is it still so cold there Cathy and Jan and everyone?!?! i am sending you all lots of warm sunshine from Florida! :) and no power outages!!

middlesis1966
February 26th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks Lola! Im doing great. Its been a week since I had a treatment so Im getting back to normal. So this is when I neeed to kick it in gear so I ca do nothing next weekend.

Carol_Ann
February 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Blondie,
I love your drawing in the dresden block. Whether you stitch with colored thread or leave it as is, it's so unique & such a personal touch to your sisters from you. Love it!:D