PDA

View Full Version : facebook

aqua-teal71
June 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM
A long time ago I joined facebook but stopped as everyone just wanted to play farmville.
Now it seems everything is linked to facebook.
What is your opinion, is it secure .? I have been debating this for awhile.

buckeyequilter
June 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I was off FB for well over a year. I'm back on now.....but I'm not playing any games and I'm blocking the games as I get requests for them. I just generally keep up with family and friends...the first thing I did was go through my friends list and delete people.

As for secure...you can go into your settings and view it with a secure setting. I haven't tried that yet - if you do let us know how it works for you.

aqua-teal71
June 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Buckeye, I used to live in Ohio. Kinda miss some of the weather, especially October.
I will let you know how it goes.

shannonsaulter
June 19th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I have fb..have my privacy settings made for friends only on most stuff....play a few games but others ate blocked..change my password about evey month to be safer..

aqua-teal71
June 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM
o.k. change password often. Good tip.

bubba
June 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I am on FB several times a day. You can set your settings so that those things are blocked. I get notifcations on things I want but on the games that I don't play, I block them. It's an easy solution.

aqua-teal71
June 19th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Well I am probably going to do it. I am just a slow mover when it comes to nonquilt things.
But i have scorched many a debt card when it comes to fabric.
Thanks for all the tips.

K. McEuen
June 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Block your email address from everyone on FB.
Do not post your birthday (month/day/year) Month and day are ok.
Do not post your home address or phone number for everyone to see.

The less personal information you allow to be viewed, the safer you are.

In case you make any purchases on FB, do not store CC or Paypal information there. Go in and physically remove it after each purchase.

I play 2 games on FB, most of my feed is Mafia Wars. If you are a non-gamer when you block the game you won't see the multitude of posts that the game produces.

Another thing I have seen people do ... "Oh, I'm going on vacation and will be gone for a week. We leave tomorrow." Yep, you guessed it, check their profile and their address is right there for the world to see. Great information for someone looking for an easy place to rob.

Tanya D
June 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm on FB and haven't had any problems. I am guilty of posting my vacation plans...in my defense, Disneyland is pretty exciting and a countdown was needed!

I do have my settings private for only my friends to see. I do think it's time to go thru my friends list and clean it up a bit.

K. McEuen
June 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I'm on FB and haven't had any problems. I am guilty of posting my vacation plans...in my defense, Disneyland is pretty exciting and a countdown was needed!

I do have my settings private for only my friends to see. I do think it's time to go thru my friends list and clean it up a bit.

Posting vacation plans are okay, as long as you don't have your address posted for everyone to see.

Wwena
June 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I try to view everything I write on FB as totally public. That's the only way to treat it, imo. I've linked my Paypal to it but removed it, since I don't really want it to be that easy to access (no password is needed when making purchases!). In that case I don't worry much about someone hacking my account and buying FB credits but I worry my kids might buy stuff by accident lol. I don't let them use FB but sometimes kids will try stuff anyway.

As for vacation plans, most people know we are going away anyway. I try and put stuff in about housesitters, just in case. ;) (My lastname name is really rare, so not putting my address in would not help.)

I've used FB daily since 2007. I've played a few games on there but I've blocked the apps I get invites for that I'm not interested in and that's that. Since they introduced groups, I've always set postings from games to go to a gaming group only, not to spam anyone that don't know of the blocking function. If you have spamming friend, ask them to do the same.

Have fun with it. :)

NanaB
June 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM
My personal opinion is that FB has taken the place of e-mails (which took the place of written notes/phone calls). I lurk on FB but don't post anything. You can go into your personal settings and set the privacy settings so that only your friends can see things.

Monique
June 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I am on Facebook and don't write anything very often. I mainly see what everyone else is doing. My information is very limited on there.

auntiemern
June 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I do FB. Have for a long time. Never had any problems. Just set your security settings high, and don't give out much personal info. I have made a few very good friends over the years. It just isn't for every one.

buckeyequilter
June 19th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Block your email address from everyone on FB.
Do not post your birthday (month/day/year) Month and day are ok.
Do not post your home address or phone number for everyone to see.

The less personal information you allow to be viewed, the safer you are.

In case you make any purchases on FB, do not store CC or Paypal information there. Go in and physically remove it after each purchase.

I play 2 games on FB, most of my feed is Mafia Wars. If you are a non-gamer when you block the game you won't see the multitude of posts that the game produces.

Another thing I have seen people do ... "Oh, I'm going on vacation and will be gone for a week. We leave tomorrow." Yep, you guessed it, check their profile and their address is right there for the world to see. Great information for someone looking for an easy place to rob.

I never did understand why people felt the need to put their phone number and address on there. I see people putting their phone numbers in posts.

For my posts I have them set so only my friends can see them...but if they share then I don't know who sees it.

aqua-teal71
June 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
NanaB-you are right, i get no emails anymore. I still send cards and letters, but mainly to prayer requests at church.
Well here goes my excursion into cyber space Thank you all for the tips.

mom4him
June 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM
The thing with FB is it is ever changing. You may have it set to be secure one day and the next they have changed something. Things I never do. I never download apps. That is where bugs can get into your computer. I never play the games. I never share anything that that I don't want the world to know. I do keep my site pretty locked down but it is constantly changing.

I use fb to keep in contact with friends and many relatives that I rarely get to see. I like it for that.

aliaslaceygreen
June 19th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Facebook is fine... remember this...you are on the internet right now, with us...and you are not any more anonymous or protected here... ANYONE can read what is here.... Anyone. Yes, you may have to register..but that's no different than at FB... .Be sensible, block things, don't do stupid stuff...FB is fun...and a GREAT way to stay in touch with people.... as with anything, it's what you put into it...and take from it...
Look for me there ---Trish Casey-Green

Evilynn
June 20th, 2013, 01:42 AM
I have my phonenumber in facebook. Someone needed to call me really urgently once and thankfully my phonenumber was there. I don't have my adress stored but my name is really rare in Finland so I doubt it would help. Also if we ever go on vacation we usually have our inlaws over to house and cat sit. (which barely happens anyway, we usually are at home.)

As for payment options, I don't have any stored. As for the games, I have quit them nearly completely because they get boring pretty quickly.

Sew Perfect
June 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I have fb. I too, just check in on the news. I've cleaned up the friends list and keep it to a minimum. As for the games, I use to play the games, but it got old and I would rather sew or talk to my quilty friends on here. I've not thought about changing my password, so I think I should do that.

Sew Perfect
June 20th, 2013, 02:14 AM
My personal opinion is that FB has taken the place of e-mails (which took the place of written notes/phone calls). I lurk on FB but don't post anything. You can go into your personal settings and set the privacy settings so that only your friends can see things.

Nana, I agree. Do you know people do "evites" now? My Grandma always told me to write things down so I would never forget. We wrote letters back and forth all the time when she was alive, it is nice to actually be able to read her hand writing even though she is gone. What I am saying is there is not record of writing before 2 people anymore.

Granny Judy
June 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I, too am on fb.. have been for a lot of years. I just don't go there everyday. I only sign in to catch up on happening with this family of mine. I miss the Emails since FB took over. I just don't do games, or leave a lot of info.. never any of my financial stuff. '

Sharing my quilts and special happenings is about it for my news there.

MayinJerset
June 20th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Usually post family photos and keep up with family and friends happenings on FB. Never reply to offers to play games or add new people unless I really know them. Never tell where I am or going and very little personal info given.

WendyI
June 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I treat it as Anna does...everything you post can be made public by any of your friends. The thing that does annoy me about it is FB is FREE marketing for companies and you are targeted by the language you use in posts. So if you say "I'm going to a wedding this weekend" the next thing you start seeing is wedding ads all over your pages or that you "liked" a particular jewelry store, or if you announce a pregnancy it's diaper ads and baby wipes. I despise marketers of any kind so the fact that FB uses my info to "sell" me is quite frustrating.

However, my family is far away and it's the easiest way to stay in touch so I do use it and have pretty much since it's inception...I joined back when you could use an alias and get away with it...so I'm difficult to find on FB. My name is the same as here, Wendy I. instead of my full last name. Don't think they let you do that anymore. I never post phone numbers or my address...that's just silly.

Renate
June 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I have friends around the world and FB is an easy way to share pictures and informations. This is a kind of beeing up-to-date what is going on with friends and stay in contact. Also there are interesting discussions with people about the same theme (quilting for example) and sharing informations is very easy.
I am very carefully with my "who can read what" and I check it regularly.
And since I am on FB, I have more contact to the children of my siblings, because this is what they use for exchange.
Some of the forum members here are friends with me and the contact gets more intensiv with it.

Thanks for the hint to change the password more often.

MayinJerset
June 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I wish everyone would go back to emailing, I loved it for keeping in touch and could add photos when I could. Now family members only text which I hate. Found my best friend from high schoo, a cousin and an author writing a book about someone I knew back in Brooklyn through FB so it does have its good points. Will check my setttings to make sure I share only with friends and family.

This is my latest photo that received lots of Ohs, and Ahs from everyone, my great grandsons George and Jack. May 49812

Tanya D
June 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Feel free to look me up on FB

Tanya Dowie

Evilynn
June 20th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Ofc you are free to add me, too, if you like. I love the chat option facebook and I honestly think it's missing here. I have chatted up Anna, Renate and Andrea already and we had very interesting conversation.

Steffie Jerak

:)

SallyO'Sews
June 20th, 2013, 01:48 PM
May, your grandchildren are so adorable! What a precious photo!

I started my FB account when my then college-age children told me that if I wanted to keep up with their lives, that would be the place to do it. For this generation (born after 1980), it is how they communicate (in addition to texting and Twitter), and it's a good way to keep my finger on the pulse of their lives. I have also found that if I am friends with their friends, I have much greater knowledge of what they are thinking, saying, and doing, without feeling like I have to interrogate them in person. :icon_heh: I am not on Twitter, but most of my children are, so I follow them on my computer. We have talked about the fact that whatever you put online can and will be seen by everyone on the planet... or at least everyone in government agencies. But that, as they say, is a whole 'nother discussion! :icon_rolleyes: