PDA

View Full Version : Prayer/Comfort Shawls?

LadyGray
June 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I've been knitting and crocheting prayer shawls for several years now. I was on Pinterest one day and happened to see a Prayer "shawl" QUILT! What a COOL IDEA!!!

I'm sure any of us could take a pattern & adapt it for this, but I would also LOVE to see Jenny do a tutorial on this!! You'd probably have to call it a "comfort shawl quilt" or something - there are always those who object to the "P" word, but whatever - I'd still watch it!!!

Thanks,
LadyGray

Blondie
June 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hi there
I actually have done several prayer shawls quilted. It is a wonderful way to express hope through prayer, faith for healing. I made two last year from some COC blocks (go check out our group Circle of Comfort). I had been told that a shawl would be more used than a quilt.
Perhaps Jenny will have a quilted shawl tut one day!
Blessings
Blondie

kelliedi
June 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM
are these different than say a table runner? please inform this ignorant gal.

K. McEuen
June 19th, 2013, 09:45 PM
are these different than say a table runner? please inform this ignorant gal.

I think they are more triangular in shape, but who knows, I could be completely wrong too.

Sharyn J
June 20th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I crocheted a triangle shawl for my mom when she was bedridden. Now I see that there are quite a few different sizes for the quilted comfort/prayer shawls. I've seen everything from 48" x 24", 72" x 24, both of these looking similar to bed runner. Then I saw a number of them in squares 36", 45" and a few rectangles at 45" x 54", which seems more like a larger lap quilt.

I guess you can make them in any size, depending on the purpose. If it were for someone in a wheelchair, I would make a square to cover the lap without getting caught in the wheels. If it's for a little warmth over the shoulders, I'd make the rectangular style. For someone tiny and frail, the 48" length and for a larger person, the 60-72" length.

Madeforyouinma11
June 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I love this one and it is on my to do list for this winter. I like it because it is sewn under the arms so it won't fall off as that is usually my biggest problem...I'm always on the move.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html

Sharyn J
June 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I love this one and it is on my to do list for this winter. I like it because it is sewn under the arms so it won't fall off as that is usually my biggest problem...I'm always on the move.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html

Great pattern. I put this one on my list. This would be great even for me when I get cold but don't want a whole blanket. Thanks for posting.

grammakim04
June 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I love this pattern for a quilted shawl, thank you for posting.

Madeforyouinma11
June 21st, 2013, 12:46 AM
I thought it was nice.. I like the fact that it won't keep falling off. I'm always cold in the winter..( and sometimes in the summer with the AC) so I walk around the house with a blanket wrapped around me, but I have to keep pulling it up. I have a few things to finish up, then I this is close to the top of my list. If anyone makes it before me, please post pics!