PDA

View Full Version : OK, You asked for it, so here it is!

Fabriclovr
June 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Ladies, about a year ago, I made a post asking how many of you would be interested in a mystery quilt. A lot of you said yes.

Well a lot has happened in this last year and I was not able to write my 2012 Mystery Quilt.. but now that things have settled down in my life, I have had time to write a Mystery Quilt for 2013!

It is in the proofing stages and is set to have the 1st clue release on July 8.

The quilt is called "Into the light" It is a study in color, looks extremely complicated and will impress all of your friends and they will say "You made that??" This is a VERY simple quilt to sew, the magic is in the layout.. but I have said to much already.....

It is 85 x 85 with mitered borders. It is set on a black background and has 6 colors in 3 shades. Fabric requirements are 1/8 to 1/4 with a few being a little more than that.. again, I have said to much!

I will teach you how to find your perfect 1/4 inch, how to cut and sew straight, how to do piping (an option in the instructions) and how to painlessly miter a corner.. Oh I have said to much again!!

The group is open to anyone, confident beginner with basic skills with a rotary cutter and ruler and can sew a quarter inch seam to experienced quilter with 100's of quilts under her apron.

Full instructions are still being written, but the 1st clue, which will have all of the fabric requirements, will be posted on July 1. You will be given 2 weeks to gather fabrics and then the 2nd clue will be released on July 15 and every Monday there after till we are finished.

The group is set up and you can join now.

Click here (http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=102) to go to the group or click on the link in my signature line.

I love a good mystery!!

Susan

P/S - Teresa aka MrsT2u will be helping with the group and answering questions if I am not available. As my DH says, if you want to buy fabric, you must earn the money to do so... so come Aug 1, I am back to work and Teresa will take over posting clues and answering questions for me.

snippet
June 18th, 2013, 11:37 PM
sounds exciting! I just joined! And it's a great time too. My daughter gets married on July 5th and we'll be driving her stuff to her new home in Virginia. I'll be back home on the 15th.

ilive2craft2
June 18th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Sounds like fun!! I joined too.

lilmouse
June 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM
I joined as well, not sure about the mitered corners though!

nyscpa2be
June 19th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I just joined too - my first group!

Jewel
June 19th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Just joined, I participated in the last one and I really enjoyed it!! Looking forward to the clues. Thank you for starting a new mystery. :icon_tup:

MrsT2u
June 19th, 2013, 03:03 AM
:icon_wave:Thanks Susan aka Fabriclovr for all your hard work in writing all of the instructions, fabric requirements, etc., etc.

I've said this before, but it's so true that it's worth repeating . . . You are as handy as a pocket on a shirt!

Can't wait to get started on this beauty . . .oops! I've said too much! :icon_tape:

Andrea F
June 19th, 2013, 04:03 AM
This sounds like fun and I just joined. Itīs my first group and I canīt wait to start :D

Evilynn
June 19th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Hmmm, I am very tempted to join in. Ah, why not!!! :) I joined!

Eileen83flowers
June 19th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I took the plunge and dived straight in - What have I done? Looking forward to learning a lot more than I do now !

Fabriclovr
June 19th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I joined as well, not sure about the mitered corners though!

Psshtttt! Mitered corners are a BREEZE the way I do them, you will wonder why you were so afraid of them!! :)

ilive2craft2
June 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Psshtttt! Mitered corners are a BREEZE the way I do them, you will wonder why you were so afraid of them!! :)

I figured that if I could not follow the mitered corners, I could do a regular border - since we are keeping this one, mine can be different if need be. I do plan on trying them. This sounds like so much fun - I haven't done a mystery quilt before.

NanaB
June 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I joined; don't know if I can keep up or not, but I will give it a shot. Looking forward to the challenge!

Monique
June 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I joined yesterday. I may have to take a sewing machine to work with me.

dwil23
June 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'm intrigued! I have sooo many things to finish between now and Christmas, but I'll probably cave.

Fabriclovr
June 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Ladies ladies ladies... put your worries to bed! The clues are spread out so you wont have to worry about falling behind.

I feel in love with mystery quilts several years ago. I love the idea that I am given a specific number of fabrics in a specific color range and then told to go and make them work. Usually, you are told to go and get a focus fabric, a dark, med and light fabric that goes with it... Not this time! I will give you a specific color and then you go and interpenetrate what fabrics are in that color you want to use.

Your first pre-clue will be . . . think about what fabrics you like to work with are. Small prints, geometric, marbles or plain color with no print...... also start looking at fabric lines with a lot of color choices or start looking at your stash, really looking at your stash.... you will need yardage, not scraps...

CottonPickinFabrics
June 20th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I just joined. I currently have 8 UFOs but what's another quilt on the go.:icon_happy:

shannonsaulter
June 20th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I will try what's the worst I could do but fail..lol

Granny Judy
June 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I put my name to the list... and there Is NEVER enough said!! Keep dropping those hints and do some visuals, too. I need a lot of "help"...

Evilynn
June 20th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I put my name to the list... and there Is NEVER enough said!! Keep dropping those hints and do some visuals, too. I need a lot of "help"...

Right with ya. The fabric requirements made me already have questionmarks above my head. Is there even a fabric line that has 6 different colors in 3 shades :s Can someone give me an example, please? :D

Louise
June 20th, 2013, 05:55 PM
So how do I join new to groups would like to patcipate

Fabriclovr
June 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Go to the groups tab and find the group you want to join and then click the join button.. eazie peezie :)

Fabriclovr
June 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I will try what's the worst I could do but fail..lol

Fail? No on my watch you wont! :)

Fabriclovr
June 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Right with ya. The fabric requirements made me already have question marks above my head. Is there even a fabric line that has 6 different colors in 3 shades :s Can someone give me an example, please? :D

Oh, you will know soon enough... think outside the box.. the fabric doesn't have to come from the same line, but it would look wonderful if it did. Yes, there are a lot of fabric lines with a multitude of colors in them... think Moda, think Robert Kaufman, Patrick Loose, Michael Miller, think solids, think modeled, think marbles . . go look at Keepsake Quilting... as my 1st pre clue says... Think (outside the box)

Fabriclovr
June 21st, 2013, 08:16 PM
I have another Pre-Clue for you today. Go to the groups tab and check it out!

If you haven't joined the fun yet, please, join in :) Click on the groups tab and then find the mystery quilt, click join. That's all there is to it!

(or you can follow the link in my signature line as well)

Roxanne
June 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
When you say 6 colors in 3 shades, do you mean there will be 18 different fabrics + the black??

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
When you say 6 colors in 3 shades, do you mean there will be 18 different fabrics + the black??

It looks that way to me.

We shall see, because this is all going to come from stash. Not making any special purchases for it.

Roxanne
June 21st, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm intrigued by this, but I have problems picking out two fabrics. Can't imagine how long it would take me to decide on 18.

snippet
June 22nd, 2013, 12:31 AM
where was this posted? I missed reading that

ilive2craft2
June 22nd, 2013, 12:37 AM
where was this posted? I missed reading that

It was in the opening of this posting. I was so excited, I missed it too!

It is 85 x 85 with mitered borders. It is set on a black background and has 6 colors in 3 shades. Fabric requirements are 1/8 to 1/4 with a few being a little more than that.. again, I have said to much!

Fabriclovr
June 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
I'm intrigued by this, but I have problems picking out two fabrics. Can't imagine how long it would take me to decide on 18.

You will have two weeks to pick fabric. The 1st clue ois the fabric requirements. I then give you two weeks to pick out the colors you want to use before the next clue, If you are going to purchase on line, this should give you enough time to get it delivered.

Hint - you will actually have 3 weeks to pick out the colors as we will only be working with the black for the 2nd clue.. opps said to much again!:icon_tape::icon_tape:

Fabriclovr
June 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hope I have you all thinking outside the box for fabric.

Yes, there are 18 colors, plus the black background. :)

jennyann
June 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much for hosting the mystery quilt. It is my first one and I am very excited!

Fabriclovr
June 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Your welcome! I love doing these, they are a lot of work to create, but I love the outcome and to see what everyone else's quilts look like when they are done. fun fun fun!!

ldnanny3
June 23rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Okay I guess I am game, have no idea what this is all about but I love a mystery and I love quilts so should be fun !!!

Lindagie
June 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Ah, I bit the bullet and joined. Have never done one of these before, so it should be interesting. I hope I'm not the only one who is a little apprehensive about it; am already thinking about colors.

Fabriclovr
June 23rd, 2013, 05:31 PM
A mystery quilt is one that has several steps (clues) that are given out on a weekly or monthly basis until the quilt is reveled in the end clue.

The pace of this quilt will be slow as it is geared towards beginners and those that have to work for a living or those that have family's to take care of and have limited time to sew.

Everyone seams to be afraid of being able to keep up, trust me, you will be able to keep up :)

Ginny B
June 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
I have never done a mystery quilt -- but I love a good mystery to what the heck. I'll give it a go. Going to join now.

Ginny B

Fabriclovr
June 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Pre-Clue #3 is up on the Groups site and the .pdf version is up on my web page. Happy Clue Day!

sandfran
June 26th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Fabric requirements are 1/8 to 1/4 with a few being a little more than that...

So, what does 1/8 to 1/4 mean? Is this a measure? Sorry, this is quite new to me... :0

Love, Sandra

Fabriclovr
June 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM
So, what does 1/8 to 1/4 mean? Is this a measure? Sorry, this is quite new to me... :0

Love, Sandra

Hi Sandra,
This refers to the amount of fabric needed, 1/8 yard or 4.5 inches and 1/4 yard or 9 inches or in Germany 114.3 mm and 228.6 mm or at least that is what Google tells me. :)

Hope that helps

sandfran
June 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Ah yes. Thank you. Iīm curious already and looking forward for the next clue...

Hi Sandra,
This refers to the amount of fabric needed, 1/8 yard or 4.5 inches and 1/4 yard or 9 inches or in Germany 114.3 mm and 228.6 mm or at least that is what Google tells me. :)

Hope that helps

HdWench
June 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
ohhhhh I LOVE mystery quilt alongs... no there is only so much room for fabric in this 5th wheel... ohhhh but I stuff fabric even in my clothing drawers hehehe OK dang it... sucked another one in... *sigh*

Heck I need another quilt to auction off for animal rescue in Minnesota when we arrive, this will fit the bill :-) Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Fabriclovr
June 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Pre Clue #4 is posted in the Mystery Quilt group.. we are getting close, one more clue on Saturday and then Monday we are off!

Little hint: 18 fabrics seams like a lot of colors, but do some quick math in your head. 18 divided by 3 is 6, so we are looking at 6 colors plus black, not so crazy now is it? . . . . . or is it? :icon_crazy:

Precious1
June 27th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Oh boy! After reading all of the post, I'm excited!! I'm joining. Guess I have a reason to take myself out of "time out" and go to the quilt shop and buy some fabric, LOL :-)

Fabriclovr
June 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Ohhhh a VERY good reason for taking yourself out of time out and coming "Into the Light!

I have never released the dates of a Mystery Quilt without having the instructions fully written. Knowing that, I just finished the instructions. I added a little color to these and I think they are starting to look a little better than my firsst mystery quilt did as It was just instructions and a couple of pictures.. this one is a lot more than that.

This time, I am including 5 pre-clues, kind of a warm up to the real thing. I wrote this mystery in space of 3 weeks at the request of one of my swap participants. She wanted to swap blocks for a quilt, but when I did the math for this quilt, the amount of blocks we would be swapping was astronomical to say the least, so "Into the Light" was born!

OH, have I ever given you the name of the quilt before? Well darn, there I go again, I've said too much!! :icon_tape:

Fabriclovr
June 28th, 2013, 05:14 PM
This is a BUMP!:icon_bump:

mamaquilt
June 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM
just joined. My first Mystery Quilt and the outcome will surely be a mystery too. So curious!

CottonPickinFabrics
June 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I just spent the last two hours going through my stash and gathered my 18 fabrics. 3 greens,3 blues,3 browns, 3 rusty red, 3 purples and 3 peachy beige. I will have to buy the basic black fabric. Maybe I will drive into the city this weekend.

Fabriclovr
June 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I just spent the last two hours going through my stash and gathered my 18 fabrics. 3 greens,3 blues,3 browns, 3 rusty red, 3 purples and 3 peachy beige. I will have to buy the basic black fabric. Maybe I will drive into the city this weekend.

OHHHH PLEASE DON'T BUY FABRIC YET!!! You are using colors that are not in the quilt!

Fabriclovr
June 29th, 2013, 03:05 PM
The last PRE-Clue is now posted in the groups "Into the Light" (http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/groups/into-light-beginners-mystery-quilt-d1268-00-pre-clue-5-where-your-quarter-inch.html)

This will be the last pre-clue before the Clues start on July 1st

See you all on the groups tab at 8am Mountain time Monday!

Don't forget to post your questions in the subject line they pertain to. Let's all try to keep this organized so those that follow in the future will be able to find the answers they need without having to read every post:D

Your all doing a great job so far, keep it up!! :icon_tup:

OHHH this will be fun!!

CottonPickinFabrics
June 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM
OHHHH PLEASE DON'T BUY FABRIC YET!!! You are using colors that are not in the quilt!

But...but...but...

I need an excuse to add to my stash.

Fabriclovr
June 30th, 2013, 12:50 PM
But...but...but...

I need an excuse to add to my stash.

Oh, I am all for adding to the stash, but I want you to add the right colors!

24 hours from now you will know just what colors you need :)

lilmouse
June 30th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Now, I am getting scared! 18 colors and black...I see me buying fabric on Tuesday.....my next day off....have to see the Doc anyway so afterwards I can get a pick me up at the fabric store!

Fabriclovr
July 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM
No need to be scared! Shopping is part of the mystery. Although you will making the same quilt as everyone else, because you bought fabrics that your choices, your quilt will look different from everyone else, trust me!

Fabriclovr
July 1st, 2013, 11:14 AM
The first clue almost ready to go up, I need to get some coffee made and eat some breakfast and then at the top of the hour, you will have your first clue.

The next clue will not be released for two (2) weeks. This will give everyone time to pull your fabrics, shop or if you need to, order by mail, hate what you bought and re-order! (ask me how I know this one) The 2nd clue will use the black fabric only so that will give you an additional week to get together your other colors. If you go shopping today and cant decide on anything, just get the black and then start looking at catalogs and web pages. OOOPPPSSS I said to much again.. darn, I am so excited, I cant wait!

I will be hanging out on the groups tab for the day, so post your questions there if you have any.... see you there in a little bit!

Fabriclovr
July 1st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Clue #1 is posted on the groups tab :)

Fabriclovr
July 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
How is everyone doing today? How is the shopping/pulling coming? Is it what you had expected, or something totally different?

Fabriclovr
July 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Clue #2 has been posted on my web page Rusty's Quilts (https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/into-the-light)

Fabriclovr
July 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I posted a fun map that shows where everyone who is participating in the mystery is located. Map (http://batchgeo.com/map/5eb1a644cac00d77ce22a628a6a5bdbf)

Clue #3 will be posted tomorrow 7/15 at 8 am mountain time :)

Hope everyone has their fabrics and a sharp rotary cutter or a new mat for your Accuquilt cutter :)

HdWench
July 14th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I posted a fun map that shows where everyone who is participating in the mystery is located. Map (http://batchgeo.com/map/5eb1a644cac00d77ce22a628a6a5bdbf)

Clue #3 will be posted tomorrow 7/15 at 8 am mountain time :)

Hope everyone has their fabrics and a sharp rotary cutter or a new mat for your Accuquilt cutter :)

While I ADORE Mystery Quilts and cutting and quilting - I'm geeky enough to LOVE this map!!! hehehe How fun to see this is a "worldly" quilt along!

Fun Fun Join and get to cutting everyone :-)

K. McEuen
July 14th, 2013, 02:53 PM
That map is cool, but I was surprised to see someone from Farmington, NM. Didn't realize anyone involved was from there and still wondering if you didn't mistake Cyndiofthevortex who is from Farmington, NH ...

Hehe, that map must select towns or places automatically because Grand Duchy, Luxembourg is showing up where Luxembourg, Virginia is.

Fabriclovr
July 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I was having to put in generalizations as I din't have zip codes. I tried to get the international ones to separate and show better, but it would not do it. So we are left with where it thinks we live :) LOL

Fabriclovr
July 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Well, it was truly bugging me that I could not get a more defined map, so I went searching. I found one that is more accurate and that recognized international locations. Click here (http://bit.ly/15FUqWA)

nyscpa2be
July 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM
That map is so cool!

Fabriclovr
July 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Clue #3 is posted on my web site .Rusty's Quilts (https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/into-the-light)

Fabriclovr
July 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Clue #4 is now active on my site Rustys Quilts (https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/into-the-light)

Fabriclovr
July 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Clue #4 is now active on my site Rustys Quilts (https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/into-the-light)

bellasnanny247
July 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Love that new map! My son and his family live in ND and I am surprised nobody from there is involved is this fun adventure! They live in a small town-on an air force base-but there must be some quilters in that state--lol!

Fabriclovr
July 28th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Clue # 5 has been uploaded to my site. I start work tomorrow very early and will not be at the computer to upload at 8am.

Fabriclovr
August 5th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Clue #6 has been posted on my site and additional instructions are in the group.