PDA

View Full Version : It's Sunday and it's Father's Day

Blondie
June 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Happy Sunday and Father's Day to the Daddy's on the Forum . . .

Folksies, I slept very good last night once I got to sleep. I wound up sleeping on the sofa after going on a purge of the frig and then the freezer. We made out okay in the freezer dept. Much of the stuff was frozen hard still - ice cream melted and made a mess; ice melted and made a mess. Inside the frig. itself was a different story. Stinky mess. LOL. Over two days without power is not a good thing. It could have been worse. We have been grilling out, so we did so again last night. It was a much happier dinner since we had our power on, we had no worries.

Today we will be having my middle son Josh arrive to spend the day with us, along with Sarah and her new hubs. Nothing special planned really; we are just going to be enjoying each other. It's gonna be a beautiful day in the neighborhood . . .

Now to get caught up on some more reading here. Enjoy yourself this day, dear ones!

Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes. ~Gloria Naylor

Bubby
June 16th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Good Morning and Happy Father's Day!

We will be staying home today and I will cook Jeff a special dinner....ribs on the grill, twice-baked taters, baked beans, corn on the cob, fruit salad, homemade rolls and dessert. It sounds like a recipe for indigestion and carb overload to me, but it's his special day. Jeff isn't a Dad, but he would have made a terrific one, so he gets celebrated anyway. He was a great Dad to Miss Molly!

I hope everyone has a great day. Lucky are the ones who still have a Dad or Grandpa. I lost my Dad on Leap Day (Feb 29) 2008...Grandpa left us in 1991.

Hugs, Barb

Jean Sewing Machine
June 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone! Don't know what the day will bring as far as Father's Day. The SIL celebrated with his granddaughter last night. I'm not hosting anything, no plans for cooking, so unless I get invited out, won't be celebrating anything. I had to host my own Mother's Day, not doing it again. I just need to get into the sewing room and do costumes today.

Hope everyone who is celebrating Father's Day has a great day!

BellasQuilts
June 16th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Morning all. Got back yesterday from our trip and we were whipped after 24 hours of travelling and 13 hours in the air. Today hope the girls come by for Father's Day. Will probably BBQ something. Trying to get back on this time zone. What a trip we had! Now need to spend lots of time reading here and catching up with everyone.

aliaslaceygreen
June 16th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Good morning and happy Daddy Day to all those who pitch-hit when needed!

My ice actually didn't melt, Blondie! (thats only 25 hours without power, so...) The fridge stuff was mostly a loss here too... but the freezer, not so bad...

The bathroom is coming along---this is the only sneak peek I am giving out till the Big Reveal--which will be at least two weeks, as DH isn't available to do the toilet or floor till then... I will have done all the things I can by this weekend...right up to hanging frames, but the heavy grunting parts are not my forte!

Off to work, and then get Layabug for our overnight....have a GREAT day

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Morning all. Got back yesterday from our trip and we were whipped after 24 hours of travelling and 13 hours in the air. Today hope the girls come by for Father's Day. Will probably BBQ something. Trying to get back on this time zone. What a trip we had! Now need to spend lots of time reading here and catching up with everyone.

We are anxiously awaiting a trip summary including highlights and pictures!! After the jet lag escapes, that is.

middlesis1966
June 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Morning all! I had a wonderful time last night at a friends wedding. It turned soggy on us, but it still was a good time. Love the short and sweet ceremony. My kind of wedding.
Today will be pretty chilled here. We are just going to veg around and not do much, fine by me. I've got plenty to do this coming week so relaxing today will be much needed.
I called my mom and wished her Happy Fathers Day. Even though my dad gave up on us when I was a teen, my mom was the one who raised us all by herself. My sissy and I were talking awhile back about how different our dad was compared to our cousins dad. Their father was a dad in ever since of the meaning of this. He passed away this year and it's a tough day for them all. My dad had major issues that he just never could get passed and instead of being a dad to us, he choice was the bottom of a bottle instead. It was very heartbreaking to see my dad disappear into that person, so I always tell my sissy that I choose to remember the dad that was my childhood dad instead of the person he was when he had left us. So this is who I remember on Fathers Day. So sorry to be a downer about it, but that's just how I feel on this day. But anyways HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all you Dads out there!.

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Working today (who schedules a three-day estate sale over a holiday weekend????). No true celebrations here. No one celebrated Mother's Day (ask me how I know), so I'm not giving back either. I did try to convince the girls that yesterday was MY unBirthday and I really needed a party with Italian Cream Cake and vanilla ice cream . . . They didn't believe me. It didn't work the night before, either. And, if you know me at all, you know how badly I was craving as I am usually NOT a sweet eater and can easily turn them down. I may just have to stop and see if Sam's Club has one made up when I head home this afternoon.

It's been sprinkling, raining, cloudy since late yesterday afternoon and today doesn't look much better. Guess everyone around the world is having strange weather.

Keep your chin up and have a great day.

Monique
June 16th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Good morning friends. I have been away for a few days. We got Greg & Roxy home as well as Jersey. We stayed until Friday. Roxy left for the trip to the West Coast and poor Greg was exhausted so we came home. A trip from hell I tell you. The transmission on the van started to conk out on us. A 4 hour trip turned into a 8 hour trip. But we finally made it home and the van is going into the garage tomorrow. We did not make it to the reception and stag last night. We hung out with friends instead and were lucky enough to have been invited onto a pontoon boat for a couple of trips around the lake. Just beautiful. Today we have a BBQ for my sister-in-law's birthday. Macaroni salad made and buns to be made a little later.

Tomorrow I start working again for 5 weeks. It's not so bad, as I will have lots of time to work on my quilt while I am there. It is a tiny post office and I am usually done my work by 10:30 so I have the rest of day to quilt. I am downloading a bunch of shows and movies I want to watch. The only downside is, I was going to take Maizyn for the whole week next week but that will be put off until August at least. Although the kids are coming for the weekend of Canada Day (July 1), I will get to spend a couple of days with her.

I have just washed the floors so I must put things away. Have a great Sunday and Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there. I lost mine in 1986 and I never had a grandfather either.

Mpyles
June 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Good morning and happy Father's Day!!

Just planning a sew day...as it seems we will be deluged with rain again today...yesterday here and in springfield was a gulley washer...3-5" of rain. I hear the thunder rolling now....which makes for a sad DH as he had planned to take off fishing today.

Don't know what I'll cook for dinner...something DH would like of course...but he is being reasonable as we are both trying to drop pounds. DS went in to work at 4 am..so he will be home but DD works at both her jobs so she will be gone most of the day and night.

Everyone have a great day!!!

MayinJerset
June 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Good Sunday morning. Better hop to it as the morning will be over and I'll still be sitting her in my robe after my shower.
Going to throw a few hot dogs on the grill and bake some beans as DH's Father's Day treat. DS#1 and family visited a while yesterday afternoon on their way to a grad party nearby. DS#2 and wife will stop by this afternoon and I told them I'll just add a few more hot dogs on the grill. Tired of making the big Father's Day BBQ so that's it. DS#3 is in CA and him and kids will call later this afternoon so DH will be happy. He recieved some cards and gifts from DGD's who live out of state, pralines from the in New Orlean (my they are sweet) and Barnes & Noble gift card from one in CA.

Hope that today everyone concentrates some nice memories of their Dads, for some of us that can be hard to do but let us keep our lives more positive as we can't change the past. Hugs to all, May

bakermom
June 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
A bit rainy here today but saturday was pretty nice until evening. nothing big planned today, we went out yesterday for Father's Day. DH should hear from most of the kids but we probably will only see DD#1 and DS and their families.
My dad's been gone 15 years now but i think of him everyday. He is still the standard of how i live my life(what would dad do, how would dad handle this?) He is the one that taught me how to quilt-he learned from his mom.

ilive2craft2
June 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Good Morning all! Heading to a memorial get together for an aunt who passed away a couple of months ago. It is basically an open house all day today -- very casual, more like a family reunion, that was her wish. Taking my mom and her sister. My sister and her kids and one of my brothers are going to caravan with us - it is about an hour away. Looking forward to seeing all of my cousins - some of them live out of state and haven't seen them in a while.

Our son is working all day today, so we are celebrating Father's day tomorrow after he gets off work. We lost my dad 3 years ago and my FIL 16 years ago. Lots of great memories of 2 wonderful Dads. I am so thankful to have had both of them in my life.

Hope to sneak in a peek at our lake house today, since we will be in the neighborhood, but don't think we will be able to stay long enough to get the pontoon boat out.

Happy Father's day to all who have filled that role in a child's life.

GuitarGramma
June 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Good morning and Happy Father's Day. We have a really fun tradition. My hubby is a big baseball fan, and we have a fun AAA baseball team. Plus for the last several years, our bishop throws out the opening pitch on Father's Day. (He pitches pretty well, too.) So there's this big event, "Father's Day With the Bishop," where you can play catch with the bishop right on the baseball field, and he gives a special blessing to fathers and grandfathers. Because DD#2 actually worked at the diocese, we've been able to join the bishop in his box. He and my hubby have long, fun donversations. It's a great day. Looking forward to it!

dwil23
June 16th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Working today (who schedules a three-day estate sale over a holiday weekend????). No true celebrations here. No one celebrated Mother's Day (ask me how I know), so I'm not giving back either. I did try to convince the girls that yesterday was MY unBirthday and I really needed a party with Italian Cream Cake and vanilla ice cream . . . They didn't believe me. It didn't work the night before, either. And, if you know me at all, you know how badly I was craving as I am usually NOT a sweet eater and can easily turn them down. I may just have to stop and see if Sam's Club has one made up when I head home this afternoon.

It's been sprinkling, raining, cloudy since late yesterday afternoon and today doesn't look much better. Guess everyone around the world is having strange weather.

Keep your chin up and have a great day.

Oh, Sandy, you must try Blue Bells 'Italian Cream Cake Ice Cream' - ask me how I know that. ;)

I had a wonderful father, for which we are all truly thankful. He has been gone since 2005 and we still miss him everyday.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Keep your chin up and have a great day.Mother's Day at your house and no celebration? It's criminal! Don't blame you for " not giving back"! I'm all over that one myself!

shermur
June 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Father's Day is kind of bitter sweet? My youngest sister lives near Jpolin, MO and decided this past Monday to have a get together June 15th at ther home in Joplin at 4:00 PM to celebrate Father's Day. Of course, I have two sisters and my Dad lives in the southern part of Missouri. It was Thursday before I found out the details; we already had obligations and plans made. Not to mention....4:00 PM the in the afternoon? it's close to a 3 hour drive for my family and to short of a notice to have pets watched....So, I calle dand wished my Dad a Happy Father's Day instead....

MRoy
June 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Good afternoon! We've just had grilled steaks for Father's Day lunch. DH is napping in the recliner and I'm going back to the sewing studio shortly to put together more rows of my Big Lots Falling Charms quilt. I went shopping last night and came home with 15 yards of fabric in 1/2 yard cuts...some were coordinates, but most were just designs and colors that I liked. Happy Father's Day!

rebeccas-sewing
June 16th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Happy Father's DAy to all our Dad on the Forum. I hope you are showered with love. My dad's been gone for about 21 years. It's incredible to think it's been that long. I just hope and pray that he and Mom are together in spirit.