PDA

View Full Version : Need fabric $$$$$

asta
June 15th, 2013, 05:06 PM
So, I am having a rummage/yard/garage sale. I have not had one in MANY years, anyone have any advice?? I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks, Beth

Sandy Navas
June 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Prayers may help. The estate sale I was working today was basically a f l o p . . . lots of people through, handling thing, etc., but very few sales. This sale has some quality items, some antiques (good ones), a variety of unusual things - great for collectors - and no one is biting . . . I just don't understand. I got to come home early because it was so slow.

Price things reasonably, be willing to dicker and trade, take bids on high-priced items, provide a real variety, visit some other sales in the area and see what is selling, make certain you are well organized, things are neat and clean, and you have enough small bills to make change. A box of freebies for the kids helps, too.

pcbatiks
June 15th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hi Beth, if I lived closer I would come help you. We have a garage sale about once every couple of years.

1. Price every thing ahead of time......it will save you lots of frustration the day of the sale. That way everyone won't keep asking how much is this...how much is this........how much is this......when you are busy helping people ready to pay. We price everything...usually as we gather it up for the upcoming sale.

2. Put up plenty of signs in your area.....at busy intersections, on your corner, at your house.......florescent poster board folded in half & put over a sign holder make great signs.........you can see them from miles away! All you need on the sign is Garage Sale and an arrow (on both sides of the sign).

3. Put add in the newspaper if you can with date, time place & any items of interest that you want mentioned.

4. Like Sandy said.......set things up neat and organized with similar things together....it's a lot of work but well worth it to get rid of things you don't want and make money too. There is nothing worse than going to a garage sale where all they did was open big garage bags of stuff and set it on the driveway.......not worth bothering with. Try to put as much as possible on tables (borrow those if you can).....preferably not on the ground........make it easy for them to buy and carry off your stuff. The better organized the better you will do on your sale.

5. If you have valuable things like jewelry or electronic games.......you may want to keep those close to where you are sitting....believe it or not.......people will steal from a garage sale.

6. Have plenty of starting cash and change on hand........someone will give you a $100 bill for a 50 cent item first thing in the morning and clean out your cash. Have a calculator or notebook handy for adding up purchases.

7. Extremely important..........set up for sale the day before or 2 days before if necessary...........if you're not set up and ready to go the customers will run you over. Decide on a starting time for the sale and BE PREPARED.....THEY WILL SHOW UP A LOT EARLIER THAN THAT..........it's up to you whether to say No Early Birds or not. We never start ours earlier than the time advertised because if you start at 7 they will show up at 5:30...........if you start at 5:30 they will show up at 3:00........so we stick to our starting time..if they show up early.........they can sit in there car and wait. Some will even knock on your door before you are even dressed and ready to go.

8. Have someone there to help you........makes things a lot easier and more fun!

9. Don't pick a holiday weekend to have the sale...........those don't do as well because everyone is out enjoying other things.

10. Have bags or boxes on hand to put people purchases in.

Can you tell we have done this before.......... :D Hope you have a great sale and make lots of money to spend on fabric!

Hulamoon
June 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I can't add anything but to stress how it's organized. I had one were people were saying this looks like a store. lol

Good Luck!

pcbatiks
June 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I can't add anything but to stress how it's organized. I had one were people were saying this looks like a store. lol

Good Luck!

Yeah Lorie.........that is the best kind of garage sale!

asta
June 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, we just finished cleaning up from the rummage sale, and I must admit it went very well, even though both yesterday morning and this morning we had rain. I am very tired but I did manage to place an order with M* last night, free shipping was just too much to resist.
Beth