PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
June 13th, 2013, 07:02 AM

Hello Folksies!

Of course, those earlier birds than I realize how late I am running already this morning. It is the usual, can sleep like a log on work day but can't sleep worth a poot on days off routine. Oy.

So, hello and good morning again. I am slurping my first cuppa, trying to read posts from yesterday and last night. I am not fully awake because I can't remember what I was reading; I do remember Shirley's headline post of last night about Ohio weather. Please let me know that everyone is okay! I read yesterday morning about a weather cell heading through 7 states. This year has been a roller coaster smorgasborg of different weather.

Yesterday I was able to sit and sew. Huzzah! I was also able to finish putting the body of the quilt together. I still have lots to do on it - I intend on taking it to the salon this morning and get a picture of it in progress. I will not admit to how many times I had to resort to calling on my BFF Jack before it was completed. I am needing a new one, since I've had Jack since Hector was a pup.

Okay, I am awake enough now to be safe enough to stand in the shower and get ready for work. Have a wonderful day, find something to smile about, even if it at someone else's expense. You know, as in going to http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ for a visit. All I can say is, it works wonders for me.

HdWench
June 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Morning Blondie and all,

I'm heading to bed early as I've finished cleaning up the sewing room and it's packing time for our Annual trek up north. Will pop in once we get settled in Ohio -- Hope you all weathered the storm well!!!

:-debbie

dwil23
June 13th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Good Morning!

Running late this morning myself. Wanted to get up much earlier since I went to bed early last night. I have a quilt to press and sandwich and wanted to get that done so that when I get to my friends house I can just start sewing. Should get the quilting done there today, bring it home to trim it up and then go back tomorrow and add the binding. A couple of hours of stitching the binding down and it WILL BE DONE!!! Yeah! Started this project last fall and other things kept getting in the way.

Hope everyone has a safe and Blessed day today.

Have a safe trip Debbie!

HdWench
June 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Good Morning!

Running late this morning myself. Wanted to get up much earlier since I went to bed early last night. I have a quilt to press and sandwich and wanted to get that done so that when I get to my friends house I can just start sewing. Should get the quilting done there today, bring it home to trim it up and then go back tomorrow and add the binding. A couple of hours of stitching the binding down and it WILL BE DONE!!! Yeah! Started this project last fall and other things kept getting in the way.

Hope everyone has a safe and Blessed day today.

Have a safe trip Debbie!

Thanks and YEAH getting it DONE, I know how good that feels with all the other things that pop up to stop us :-) Good luck and cant wait to see it! Good for you not letting it become a really long term UFO

Thank you, yes stay between the white lines on the road and ignore 4 kitties :-) no, they are great travelers and I'm excited about leaving this breath removing heat!

Good luck Dwil!

Monique
June 13th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Good morning friends. Yesterday I shredded a whole lotta papers. Copies of old bills and the like. I finally got to weed my flower bed as well. I still have not planted the magnolia tree. I will get that done next week. The flies are just so bad out there. I did get some quilting done as well.

This morning I have a load of stuff to take to the church for their nearly new. This afternoon we head out to Montreal to the airport to pick up Greg & Roxy. I am sure Jersey will be so happy to see them. I am supposed to meet new family in Montreal on Friday, they have come from England. Looks like we are staying until Saturday. We have a wedding reception and a stag to attend so we will just stop at the reception and end up at the stag. A BBQ on Sunday for my sister-in-law for which I need to make some buns and a macaroni salad.

So that is what my weekend is shaping up to be. I may not have time to check in here. Have an awesome weekend friends. Stay safe.

MRoy
June 13th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Good morning! I'm popping before getting ready for work. Nothing exciting here...it's hot outside and stormy weather may be coming from the south. Safe travels to those on the road today.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 13th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Good morning all! Wow, Debbie's road trip sounds like quite an adventure, but I'm sure leaving 109 degree heat in the rear view mirror will be worth all the trouble to pack it up and leave! Hope to see you in October, Debbie! Come through St. Louis, and give me a holler, I'm just 1 mile off the interstate!

Got my hours cut at the bridal salon, which was in the original plan. I was hired to get my friend over the June wedding increase in work, and now things are settling down to a dull roar around there, so she can handle it without so many helper's hours. That's fine with me. Now, I slow down, just when I stopped making so many mistakes and taking hours to do one little alteration. I am catching on! I work out my issues with alterations types on one side of the dress, that may take me and hour to figure out, then the other side takes 5 minutes to do! Hope the alterations don't make the dresses lopsided!

My daughter who is moving to Atlanta got a contract on her house yesterday. She is jubilant, but her hubs doesn't have a job in Atlanta yet, so they are trying to figure out the logistics of her moving without him. They close in 30 days, so he needs to find something quick or find new digs here in St. Louis until he does find something. The complicating factor in this whole thing is that they have two big dogs. I'll take in the SIL, but not two big dogs. I have a dog-hating cat living with me, and no fence, so hosting them for some unknown amount of time would be difficult. I guess I could live with it, but I'm not really crazy about wild huge dogs lunging at me, and one of them is still a lunger. Then he calms down and is a sweetie, but that first onslaught of love is more than I can deal with! I'm trying to find them a nice rental home!

Wish I could be quilting today, but have a short day at the bridal shop then let the quilting begin. And this weekend will also be a costume weekend, publicity shots next week!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Iris Girl
June 13th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Its raining here now, was gorgeous yesterday caught up on laundry and did some sewing. Today back to work . Looks like the main part of the storms are going south of us. looks like ohio, pennsylvania and NJ hit more then we will be. the city may get some, but thankfully looks like we will just get rain no severe t storms.

MayinJerset
June 13th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Raining again so DH can't finish power washing the house and deck. Yesterday he was able to do half of the house and removed the mildew on the siding on the north side. He also cleaned the siding that covered where the windows were taken out and you can hardly notice the new siding from the old. I even got the annuals I bought a few weeks ago potted, made a big mess on the deck that will be power washed away as soon as the weather clears up.

Recieved a great package in yesterday's mail, a big stack of colorful FQ's that I won for participating in the HeartStrings Memorial Day At Home Sew In. Names of quilters sewing the string quilts that weekend were chosen at random to win some prizes and I was one of the lucky ones. I only did 48 brown centered string blocks but that is enough to make a big lap quilt. I hope to attend the HeartStrings Fall Sew In in Yarmouth Maine and will bring my blocks with me. I like making stirng blocks, easy to do, I use up lots of scraps and I find it very stress reducing.

Weekend coming up real fast. Haven't heard anything from our sons about Father's Day. In the past I've had a Father's Day BBQ for DH and my sons and their families but DH has told everyone those things have gotten too much for me to do. So far no one has stepped up to continue the tradtion at their houses so I told DH I'll make him one of his favorite meals on Sunday, hot dogs and baked beans and I'll even cook the hot dogs on the BBQ.

Renate
June 13th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Blondie, how much I missed your daily smile while traveling. But in my heart it was there ....

Jean Sewing Machine
June 13th, 2013, 09:09 AM
from MayinJerset's post

Weekend coming up real fast. Haven't heard anything from our sons about Father's Day. In the past I've had a Father's Day BBQ for DH and my sons and their families but DH has told everyone those things have gotten too much for me to do. So far no one has stepped up to continue the tradtion at their houses so I told DH I'll make him one of his favorite meals on Sunday, hot dogs and baked beans and I'll even cook the hot dogs on the BBQ.

Jean Sewing Machine

Funny how passing the torch for these events is so difficult to accomplish! Same thing in my family!

MsRabbott
June 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Good morning ladies! Jean - I feel your pain, one of our friends had a dog that was a lunger, and was a solid 70 lb brick that hit right below the knees if she bumped into you! She put me onto my butt once from behind before I learned to keep my knees unlocked when I was visiting! When she would try to jump up on my front, I would just hold out one knee... that way she can't actually *reach* my chest to say hello, so she would have to go back to the ground again. It took only two tries, but she stopped jumping up on me!

We had a bit of a lie-in here this morning, too... not a good thing when you only leave 30 minutes to get yourself and a toddler dressed, fed, scrubbed, and out the door to daycare! I will be brewing my first cuppa here shortly, and after working late last night after said toddler went to sleep... I'm gonna need the fix!

My major goal today is to finish cleaning off my sewing table so I can cut the last two strips I need to finish a Tumbling Charms quilt. I forgot how many layers of rubble were on it, so it's taken several days of chipping away to be able to see parts of my cutting mat! I signed up for a mini-quilt BOM at my favorite quilt shop in December, one of those where you bring in the finished block and you get the fabric kit for the next block for free? Yeah, well, I went and *paid* for March, April, and May two weeks ago! January and February are done(ish) and lovely, but my sewing time has been seldom and sporadic! Things are finally getting back to normal after six months of chaos, so I hope to get a little sewing time in when I can! :) Have a great day, ladies!!

ilive2craft2
June 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Good Morning all! We missed out on the storms yesterday too - most went north of us. It is rumbling out there now, but nothing is showing up on the radar, so it is probably just a pop up summer shower with thunder. It was 95 degrees yesterday and stayed in the upper 80s until after I went to bed around 11, but it is only 66 now, so the front must have went through. Hoping everyone in the path of the storms yesterday and today all stay safe. Heading out to work, will try to sneak a peek at the forum during the day - I usually manage it, even if it is only at lunch. Have a great day everyone! :)

buckeyequilter
June 13th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Good morning...

@Blondie...we made it through. The storm wasn't nearly as bad as they were predicting. I think Marion County got most of it...but even it wasn't terrible. When I heard them say on the news last night that the derecho was losing it's power before midnight then I relaxed. I woke up at about 1 am and could hear the wind and then woke up at about 3 am and the newscaster said the storm was past us and they were calling it a night.

Here are a couple of pictures from Marion.

Cathy F
June 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gods morning all!

Seems like we're in for more rain today. Seems like we get one sunny day then pay for it with one rainy day, not complaing though I've got plenty to do to keep me busy inside.

Got the binding completed on a baby quilt yesterday. I'm really liking how it turned out. Now to get the pillow to match it completed today. Have to clean up the sewing room some today being creative sure is messy! If I accomplish all of that I'd like to work a little bit on my embroidered quilt. I need to do 13 more Lilly of the valley blocks, this is going to be a very long term project the rate I'm going.

Well better get in gear,wishing everyone a productive day and sending hugs and well wishes to those who need a few extra today!

New York Sue
June 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Morning guys!
I'm off to bed soon after working all night. Then in for two more nights of work, sleep, eat. REPEAT.
It's raining buckets here! GREAT sleeping weather, but I'm sure glad DH got the mowing done yesterday....
Happy and safe travels, ALL!

Mom23
June 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Good Morning All,

Yesterday was a great day. In the morning I helped my sister switch classrooms in the school she teaches at. After showering I ran errands then met a friend at a local winery. We sat and talked for 4 hours!!! We had no idea what time it was until her husband called wondering where she was and if she needed a ride. It was a wonderful visit with a great friend. Worked a little bit on a t-shirt quilt last night. I'm heading out to Mass this morning then helping the girl who took my job in the church office. I hope to be home by noon so I can get some sewing done.

Have a Great Day!!

CrazyMtnLady
June 13th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Good morning. DH called me early this morning, he forgot that Michigan is an hour ahead of us here in Missouri. :( So I got up and made my coffee and started my day. Not suppose to be as hot today so maybe I can get out and get some more work done.

I was sitting here watching my morning news on our Springfield KY3 news and they just did a piece on MISSOURI STAR QUILT COMPANY!!!! They interviewed Al and showed Jenny giving a demonstration. How cool is that!

I don't know if I told you all that DH lost his wallet. Well they found it....outside under the edge of a bush beside the driveway! Thank God! But now the truck has been towed to the shop because the steering gear went out of it and we just had a new one put in in April!!!!! If it isn't one thing it's another.

Started working on another item for my SSS box yesterday.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

grannyann
June 13th, 2013, 10:06 AM
from MayinJerset's post: I know what you mean about tradition. I have the same thing here. I always did the Holidays for my children but I find it harder to do it all at 70 but no none else wants to take over. It is a lot of work that they don't care to do and costly. But I do what I can for now.
You and you hubby enjoy Father's day.
We missed the storm last night but it is much cooler and cloudy right now. I had to put the air on late yesterday when it got to be 95. But it is off today and windows are open.
Hope you all have a peaceful happy productive day.

toggpine
June 13th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Good Morning!

I'm a bit blurry-eyed yet this morning. Hubby made enough noise that I stayed awake once he got up to get ready for work. Normally I can catch an extra hour. Ugh. Where's the coffee? Nice. He didn't leave me enough for barely half a cup. Got some more brewing now.
I managed some sewing yesterday. I spent a little too much time petting and putting away fabrics. I did get a tote bag for Em's school speech therapist nearly done. She will be re-retiring this year. It was only supposed to be a part time job, but they have given her more kiddos to work with than some of the full time staff. (She is fantastic, and the kids adore her.) I can't thank her enough for the help she has given Em over the last few years.
I shall finish that and start on the class room teacher's giftie today. Hopefully I can knock them both out since I did all of the fabric selecting yesterday!

You all take care of yourselves wherever you are headed today.
Hugs, Cathy

Jean Sewing Machine
June 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Good morning ladies! Jean - I feel your pain, one of our friends had a dog that was a lunger, and was a solid 70 lb brick that hit right below the knees if she bumped into you! She put me onto my butt once from behind before I learned to keep my knees unlocked when I was visiting! When she would try to jump up on my front, I would just hold out one knee... that way she can't actually *reach* my chest to say hello, so she would have to go back to the ground again. It took only two tries, but she stopped jumping up on me!

We had a bit of a lie-in here this morning, too... not a good thing when you only leave 30 minutes to get yourself and a toddler dressed, fed, scrubbed, and out the door to daycare! I will be brewing my first cuppa here shortly, and after working late last night after said toddler went to sleep... I'm gonna need the fix!

My major goal today is to finish cleaning off my sewing table so I can cut the last two strips I need to finish a Tumbling Charms quilt. I forgot how many layers of rubble were on it, so it's taken several days of chipping away to be able to see parts of my cutting mat! I signed up for a mini-quilt BOM at my favorite quilt shop in December, one of those where you bring in the finished block and you get the fabric kit for the next block for free? Yeah, well, I went and *paid* for March, April, and May two weeks ago! January and February are done(ish) and lovely, but my sewing time has been seldom and sporadic! Things are finally getting back to normal after six months of chaos, so I hope to get a little sewing time in when I can! :) Have a great day, ladies!!love the term "rubble" on the cutting table! That's what is on half of mine now, rendering it nearly unusable until I clean away the rubble! LOL!

Sandy Navas
June 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Oh it's a good day, for singing this song
and it's a good day, for moving along
Yes it's a good day, how could anything go wrong?
It's a good day from morning till night

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

WendyI
June 13th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Morning all...just a quick Howdy! I have to leave work early today to pick up our new trailer! Woooo! BUT means I have a bunch to get done BEFORE I do that! ((((HUGS))))) for those who need them!! kisses to everyone! Have a Fantabulous day!!! xox

Mrs.Sew&Sew
June 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Hi all sounds as if everyone is busy, busy today. I stayed out on the lawnmower off and on all day yesterday. It was so hot (98) that you couldn't stay out long or you would literally cook. So this morning bright and early (6:00am) I finished my mowing. I did start cutting out a little baby quilt I forgot to make. Ugh....I hate it when I do that. If anyone is interested the giveaway is still going over at my blog. I hope you all have a great rest of your week and an even better weekend! ;)

Mpyles
June 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Good morning all!

I had an absolutely annoyingly irritating day yesterday and am thankful that today is a new day!! I won't bore you with the details of my haircut from hell or the online conversation with the idiots at dish network who instead of trying to help me tried to sell me something else! I intend to move on with a wonderful day off!

I was initially going to Lebanon store today, but after my boss heard it would put me into another 6 day work week he relented and told me to take the day off. So I intend to go to the store, do some mowing and sewing and wait for the dish guy to come back yet again( DH called them this morning)! I will hopefully have a 4 day work week next week and then the following week DD and I are off with some family and friends to sunny florida for 5 days in St. Petersburg! Gonna lay around the whole darn time and eat as much as I want to!

Wendy, I hope your mother is okay! Enjoy picking up that new camper... I would prolly sleep in it tonight if it were mine. Lol

Diane, sounds like some of our camping trips. Glad you got home safely!

Glad everyone in the storms path is okay!

Jean...don't blame you in the dogs. But the knee to the chest is the way to keep them off you. It's most people's instinct to step back when a dog does this. But stepping forward with a knee up deters them and put them off balance not you! The rental sounds like a good idea! Can't wait to see what you accomplish today...you are such a creator!!

Renate...I missed you good to see you back!

May...I don't blame you on the shindigs!! They are huge amounts of work. I have found as we have grown its increasingly harder to get together as a family....Christmas seems to be it anymore...kinda sad...everyone is too busy ....

Well, better get moving!! Everyone have a great day!!!!

Madeforyouinma11
June 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Good morning everyone...well, it's supposed to rain again today staring around 1pm and continuing until later tomorrow afternoon. I have to run to the post office to mail out a swap and then I'm back home to do some sewing and possibly some cleaning of my sewing room. Since I emptied the room that will be Julia's, my sewing room has been a disaster. I'd like to finish a table cloth I'm working on for my patio table. Hubby and I did go see our beautiful little Julia yesterday! She is such a love. Probably won't see her til maybe Sunday or Monday now.
Nothing more going on here. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

MayinJerset
June 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Glad to see that Jean and Ann agree with me. At 77 my energy level is pretty low, I could either plan and cook for a party or enjoy a party. Can't do both and I much rather enjoy a party. Thank goodness one of our granddaughters is very caring. She has a condo and hosts Christmas dinner for us and her parents plus her boyfriend and maybe some other friends. This Mother's Day she and her BF made a Brunch for me and her Mom. We also had a big surprise as her sister flew in from New Orleans as her Mother's Day gift to her mom and me.

Over40momma
June 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Hello everyone. Really late today as hubby is home as no loads to haul. Love him but, lord that man can get under my feet! :lol: Still stalking my postman for my machine parts. Take care all and have a great day!

bakermom
June 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Quiet day here, I've been doing some hand-quilting. Had a busy day yesterday with our GKs. Ended up getting to spend time with all of them by the time i was done. Went out to lunch with DD and GSs then DIL and GD joined us. we had a nice time together with the kids.

Granny Judy
June 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Early evening or late afternoon, any time is a GOOD time to come here for a visit and catch up with everyone. Had a great visit with a friend who stopped by yesterday. She is newly retired and still adjusting to "time on her hands". She's a sewer and wanna be quilter..so I showed off my area and skills. She has made clothes all her life and knows her way around fabric and machines.

She gifted me with plants and flowers,,, I gifted her with pre cuts!! She's never used them b4, so just wait til she gets her feet wet!!
Wish I could help her get her basement turned into her sewing heaven... or is it Haven?? Anyhow this lady has a stash to die for!!
Our Next date is to buy MORE..... LOL

Today I puttered in the yard .. got a forsythia bush that is dying and I don't know why.. It was so healthy last week?? Planted the goodies that I was gifted and we're doing Chinese "bring home" for supper. My kind of cooking!!

Cyber Hugs and Prayers to everyone.. Ya know it's nice to have friends who care.. And I do!!