PDA

View Full Version : Second Degree Lobster Boy

Meli
June 9th, 2013, 10:57 PM
My youngest stepson, Jason, and his friends have been planning their "end of high school" graduation trip for a year. The plan was to leave this past Friday morning and come home tomorrow. Jason showed up at our house 9:30 Thursday night to borrow our inflatable kayaks. And a sleeping bag. The camp chef, a dutch oven, camping chairs, water jugs, coolers, etc. Essentially everything he needed for his trip. He also wanted to borrow our pickup because his wasn't big enough for the gear and didn't have seating for more than 2. DH helped him load the truck.

They went camping about 20 minutes away from DH's parents' house, which made us feel better about it, since Grandma and Grandpa could rescue them if needed.

Jason showed up at Grandma's on Saturday afternoon. Apparently in all their planning they'd neglected to pack essentials, like toilet paper, bug spray, and sunscreen. Jason is fair skinned and burns easily. When he showed up at Grandma's, he was on his way back to camp after a supply run. Grandma told him to take the supplies back to camp, then come back to her house for treatment of his sunburn. When he returned, he said everyone had agreed to cut the trip short and come home on Sunday (today). It seems after breakfast Saturday morning, these 7 teenage boys looked at each other and realized they didn't have any adults around to tell them what to do. And had no idea what to do!!! I'm not a teenage boy, nor am I great at camping, but I could think of countless fun things to do.

I think part of the reason they decided to come home had to do with Jason's extreme sunburn. He acquired it Friday and has been miserable ever since. I'm glad he's home and safe, and I'm sorry his trip didn't go as planned.

RFREE
June 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM
OMG He makes me hurt just looking at him. I usually used noxema for a sunburn but I have never been burned this bad!

K. McEuen
June 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Ouch!

As weird as it sounds white vinegar is very soothing for a sun burn. If he can't stand to apply it with a wash cloth a spray bottle works great.

Hulamoon
June 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Ouch! When my mom and aunt came over one visit we took them snorkeling. My aunt wore a tee shirt, which didn't help. She ended up like that. She was moaning. My mom stuck her in a bath of Epsom salt water. It seemed to help. This was a long time ago and none of wore sunscreen. I got obsessive about it when I had kids.

Hope he feels better soon.

ilive2craft2
June 9th, 2013, 11:20 PM
OUCH!! That looks painful! You can also use tea - sounds strange but it pulls the heat out of the sunburn. Make the tea and cool it before use. You can soak towels in the tea to apply it to the burn or spritz it on with a spray bottle.

Sorry his trip didn't turn out like planned, but glad they were smart enough to call it off with nothing worse than a sunburn.

mom4him
June 10th, 2013, 12:01 AM
He looks a lot like my oldest daughter looked once. We dropped her and her younger brother off at a water park when we were in Denver. They had been given the explicit instructions to go to the shade every 1/2 hr and cool off, etc but neither of them did it. They played in the water ALL DAY LONG! She was a mess. I spent the night changing the wet cool towels and yes I used white vinegar in the water. It really does help.
Poor guy. maybe he will be ware next time?

phoots
June 10th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Oh, dear. Just a little sunburn!

Pam in Vegas

lilmouse
June 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Ouch, poor kid!

Gayle Russell
June 10th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Oh, poor guy! Noxzema, cools the fire and moisturizes; or 100% pure aloe vera gel. Apply either copiously and frequently. Keep him hydrated, too. Hope he heals quickly! This will be a lesson he'll never forget.

auntiemern
June 10th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Holy cow. I have been like that a time or 2 when I was younger. All of the above treatments are good advice. The best being aloe. Shaving cream also works very well. Tylenol for pain as well.

Madeforyouinma11
June 10th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I was going to give the same advice. It really does work.
OUCH!! That looks painful! You can also use tea - sounds strange but it pulls the heat out of the sunburn. Make the tea and cool it before use. You can soak towels in the tea to apply it to the burn or spritz it on with a spray bottle.

Sorry his trip didn't turn out like planned, but glad they were smart enough to call it off with nothing worse than a sunburn.

bkthomas
June 10th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Ow Ow Ow Oweeeeeee!!!!

rebeccas-sewing
June 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM
All I have to say is "OUCH!!!"

Musical_Starling
June 10th, 2013, 05:54 AM
The only thing I've ever tried is aloe, seemed to work okay, but I haven't had a sunburn in YEARS. I have VERY light skin (I make Casper look tanned) and I never go without sunscreen or else I look just like your poor stepson!

dwil23
June 10th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Ouch!

As weird as it sounds white vinegar is very soothing for a sun burn. If he can't stand to apply it with a wash cloth a spray bottle works great.

I was burnt like this when I was a teenager. I fell asleep on my stomach on the beach. The lady we were staying with at the beach made me lay face down on her sofa all night, covered with towels and she poured white vinegar over me. By morning, the redness and most of the soreness was gone.

Iris Girl
June 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
OUCH! sorry his trip did not go as planned. I use noxema and 100% pur aloe vera gel. I am very pale and burn very easy as well I am allergic to almost every sunblock on the market. Found one that works last year Banana Boat sensitive skin only thing I don't get hives from.

Bubby
June 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
He has a major sunburn. Aloe Vera gel takes the heat out and helps heal. He looks like he may be too sore for too much rubbing.

Klasien
June 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Ohhh poor guy, I hope he feels better soon!
My daughter had that ones on her legs while she lived in Texas, she had high fever and ended up in the hospital, her legs show different skin ever since.

I am so sorry for him, he must feel a lot of pain.....poor kid!
Tell him hi from all of us please!!!

MayinJerset
June 10th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hope Lobster Boy is feeling a bit better today.

I got a burn like that on our first trip to CA, was lying on my stomach reading on the beach and never felt any heat from the sun like I would have if I was on a Jersey beach. Needless to say the backs of my knees and thighs looked like Jason's. People at our motel must have had a different opinion of all the ohhs and ahhs coming from our room when DH applied some smoothing ointment to my sunburn. Spent the rest of our vacation wearing a loose cotton dress as I couldn't stand pants or shorts next to my skin.

GinnyKNC
June 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I hope he feels better soon. I actually burn very easily (Irish skin and all) and have had 2nd and 3rd degree burns from 3 hours at the beach with sun screen on. So I try to stay out of the sun during certain hours of the day. I know how much it can hurt :(

Tanya D
June 10th, 2013, 12:31 PM
OMGoodness, I gasped when I saw the picture. How painful looking.

SallyO'Sews
June 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Poor kid! I'll bet he never goes without sunscreen again... Hope he feels better by today.

Claire Hallman
June 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I can feel his pain even after many, many years.
I am pale to say the least and spent a whole day in the sun at the beach when I was 16 and foolish. It was way before sunscreen existed. I don't know if they even make Mexana powder any longer but that did help my burn and you just sprinkled it on, no rubbing. That and aspirin helped a bit with the accompanying fever/chills that I had.
Poor, poor guy.

WendyI
June 10th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Holy crap on a cracker!! That is one WICKED burn! OUCH! I sure hope he feels better today but somehow I'm doubting it! That's gonna blister for sure! Poor guy!

quiltsRfun
June 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM
OUCH! That looks painful! I can sympathize with him. I'm a fair-skinned redhead and had many sunburns when I was a child in the pre-sunscreen era.

Karena1984
June 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Wow that's a bright shade of red!! I feel awful for him! I looked like that once in high school when I fell asleep on a raft! I'm about as white as him!! Vinegar is what my mother made me use! I smelled like a pickle but it helped!!

bhaggerty
June 10th, 2013, 11:51 PM
as long as he is not allergic to sulfa , you can also call his doctor to request a prescription for Silvadene cream. it is for burns, and it works great on sunburns as well