PDA

View Full Version : Worried

RFREE
June 9th, 2013, 08:33 PM
My DH is scheduled for a routine colonoscopy tomorrow morning. What makes me worry is about 6 months ago he had a routine endoscopy and he quit breathing on them 3 times during the procedure. He was told then he had sleep apnea BAD and he refuses to have it looked into. So please keep him in your prayers in the morning. He has Barrett's esophagus and has had polyps removed from his colon before.
Thank you in advance.
Rhonda

Jean Sewing Machine
June 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM
And tonight will be no fun for anyone! Prayers for everyone!

K. McEuen
June 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Sleep Apnea isn't anything to mess around with, he needs to have it checked out. He will feel 100% better if he gets it treated with a C-pap machine. Each time he stops breathing at night he wakes up (even if he doesn't remember it) so he's never really getting a good nights sleep. And yes, people can die from sleep apnea. So kick his butt and tell him to go have a sleep study done.

Thoughts and prayers for his procedure, but get that other problem taken care of too!

cyndiofthevortex
June 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I understand why you'd be worried. I'll pray that you can both get a good night's sleep and that all will go well tomorrow. God bless you, Rhonda.

alliek
June 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Rhonda, Prayers for you and DH and the anesthetist and doctor. Please know we are all praying for you and try and relax. (easier said than done I know) I have been through this over the past two years about three times with my DH who has a serious heart problems and possible Barrets syndrome and has polyps removed several times as well. (((((())))))) from my heart.

Monique
June 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Rhonda, you are both in my prayers.

mom4him
June 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM
UGH! Praying for him AND you.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
June 9th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Praying for you both!

Madeforyouinma11
June 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

auntiemern
June 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Of course I will have both of you in my prayers. He needs to get his butt in for a sleep study. Sleep apnea, as Karen said can be very serious.

MRoy
June 9th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Prayers for you both!

Genny
June 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Prayers for both of you. I know it'll be hard but try not to worry , hopefully everything will go well. Let us know how everything turns goes. Genny

pcbatiks
June 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Rhonda, I know it's hard not to worry............but know that your forum friends will be praying for you and your husband.

sewbizzy
June 10th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Sending prayers his way and yours, too!!!

lilmouse
June 10th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Sending up prayers for both of you and sending cyber hugs as well....((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))

rebeccas-sewing
June 10th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I'd be pressing really hard for the sleep apnea testing and treatment. What about crying and throwing a hissy fit? How about scheduling the appointment and insisting he go. Any idea on a method of bribery? Why are some folks so hesitant to take action when it concerns their health? I just don't get it! At least he's taking care of the colonoscopy part so he must care to some degree about his health.

Musical_Starling
June 10th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I have sleep apnea, but it's mild enough I can go without the CPAP according to my respirologist but he still asks me about my sleeping at every checkup regardless. From having it myself and seeing what MIL goes through (hers is severe), I know that it is NO fun! And when I had my surgery on the 30th I had to stay overnight for monitoring, and I have a very mild case plus I'm pretty young (27). Please, please, please urge him to get tested (it doesn't hurt, you just wear a little device overnight and you barely notice it's there!) and tell him if he doesn't then this young Newfie is going to hike her way to Kentucky just to kick his stubborn butt! And after a colonoscopy that WON'T feel pretty! :icon_giggle:

But if he's nervous about wearing a CPAP, it doesn't hurt or tickle or make it hard to breathe or anything, I'm pretty claustrophobic and it didn't bother me in the least when I used it. It's also not loud, it barely makes any sound, so he doesn't have to worry about that keeping him awake either. You can get all different sorts of masks too, and if you get one with a humidifier it keeps your throat from getting dry while you sleep. The only issue I had was that it used to drip water on my face because I was running an air conditioner and I like to have my room FREEZING when I'm asleep so when the moist air would reach the mask it wouldn't be vapour anymore it was water and it would gather in the seal around the edge and when I'd turn I'd get a good splash of cold water on my face! lol But that can be avoided with a heated hose too, so there is NO reason for him to not get tested and use a CPAP. He needs to stop being such a big baby, and you can tell him I said that too! :icon_razz:

In the meantime, prayers are being said for both the colonoscopy and the stubborn-ness ;)

Iris Girl
June 10th, 2013, 06:11 AM
good thoughts coming your way for both of you .

quilter.martha
June 10th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Prayers being said.

Bubby
June 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM
My prayers are with both of you! My husband is as stubborn as they come about his health issues, but when I finally convinced him to go for a sleep study, they stopped his test midway and put him on a CPAP machine because his was so critical. He stopped breathing 96 times an hour. Sleep apnea is nothing to ignore. Jeff's quality of life is so much better since he's on the machine...and so is my peace of mind. I really hope you are able to convince him how important this is.

Sandy Navas
June 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Sending special thoughts, hugs and prayers. MEN - sometimes being scared keeps them from admitting that they really are scared and are afraid of what the doctors may tell them. Surprised he's doing a colonoscopy if he's not wanting to address his apnea. Good luck to him and do try to relax, Rhonda. He'll need your level-headedness.

WendyI
June 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I have sleep apnoea and all I can tell you is that my life changed 100% once I got diagnosed and started using a CPAP machine. It's truly a love-hate relationship though. Such a pain in the backside but I would NEVER go without it now. I was waking up 86 times an hour and was TOTALLY exhausted ALL the time! I napped at lunch, I napped after work and was in bed by 9 every night and STILL I was tired. Your DH is not doing himself an favours either by not getting it treated...it can cause very serious heart complications if you don't treat it and if he consumes alcohol ever, he could die. I'm with Sandy ...why bother with the colonoscopy....the sleep apnoea is much more dangerous and can kill him faster than anything in his colon will.

Sure hope it all goes well! Only bonus is you don't have to be "under" for the colonoscopy....although you normally don't remember much (thankfully!).