PDA

View Full Version : Making Jean purses..need suggestions

coffeebreak
June 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I am making jean purses..out of the "seat" part of jeans and use the legs for the purse handle/strap. I do very good with everything, and even taught myself how to add a decorative, colorful bottom to the bag on the outside. I add lace and buttons and ribbons etc. I stated doing this back in the early 80's and then stopped and now am picking it up again, hoping maybe they will be something that I can make inexpensively, and sell.

But now...I need to line the bag as I am going to try to sell them and a lined bag is just makes for a better quality of bag. But..with those thick seams of the waistband and the belt loops... I can't figure how to sew the lining to that part of the jeans.I don't want to sew through that thickness as I just don't want to take the chance of the thickness breaking my needle/machine. I have always shyed away from denim for this reason. I figure how to put it just below the waist band, but then that stitching shows through on the outside and I can't figure how to disguise that or cover it up. Left as is will look pretty stupid and give bad impression to "homemade".

Anyone have any ideas on how to attach a lining to the waist of a pair of jeans?

Jean Sewing Machine
June 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Take off the bottom stitching of the belt loops, stitch the lining to the outside in the ditch below the waist band, reattach the bottom of the belt loops. I've seen cords or drawstrings through the belt loops to draw the top closed. I like a closed purse. You will have to hand sew around the zipper.

mom4him
June 9th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I would love to see a picture of what you are doing. Sounds fun!
I like Jean's idea. One that I thought of was if you go ahead and sew it below the waist band and then sew some of your decorative stuff on the outside to cover and trim?

coffeebreak
June 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Take off the bottom stitching of the belt loops, stitch the lining to the outside in the ditch below the waist band, reattach the bottom of the belt loops. I've seen cords or drawstrings through the belt loops to draw the top closed. I like a closed purse. You will have to hand sew around the zipper.
Yeah, those loops are a problem more than just the waist band...i hadn't thought of taking them off at the bottom. will check that out. I use velcro to close the purse and I find beautiful colored scarves and lace that through the belt loops and tie it in the front. It can be pulled if you want to but I put a section of velcro on each side of the zippper area to close it.

coffeebreak
June 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I would love to see a picture of what you are doing. Sounds fun!
I like Jean's idea. One that I thought of was if you go ahead and sew it below the waist band and then sew some of your decorative stuff on the outside to cover and trim?
I thought of that, but some of the jeans have really cool decorative sttiching used to sew the waist band on...and i didn't want to mess that up..it just looks so nice. I might be making to much of this and could just use dark blue thread to sew close to the decorative stitching as possible and it might not show up hardly at all if the blues match well enough.. I'l post a pic when I am done. They are really nice....sturdy and can carry anything!

mom4him
June 9th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I thought of that, but some of the jeans have really cool decorative sttiching used to sew the waist band on...and i didn't want to mess that up..it just looks so nice. I might be making to much of this and could just use dark blue thread to sew close to the decorative stitching as possible and it might not show up hardly at all if the blues match well enough.. I'l post a pic when I am done. They are really nice....sturdy and can carry anything!
I think that would work, Cheri. I used to do a lot of patching and bought a blue jean thread but don't remember the exact name. Of course that was probably 30 yrs ago.:lol:

Jean Sewing Machine
June 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Love the scarf idea! Isn't blue jean thread sort of a golden tan? It woud definitely show.

coffeebreak
June 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Love the scarf idea! Isn't blue jean thread sort of a golden tan? It woud definitely show.

I watch the thrift store near me and find great scarves. Back 25 years ago when I did them...I think I bought the scarves or maybe made them with thin fabric and just hemmed the edges. But it is sure a great embellishment! I think a dark blue thread would work on most jeans...unless they are a light blue and then just use light blue thread. I'm going to try it!

coffeebreak
June 9th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I think that would work, Cheri. I used to do a lot of patching and bought a blue jean thread but don't remember the exact name. Of course that was probably 30 yrs ago.:lol:

I'm going to try it Mom4him I think if I just get a dark blue or a light blue..whatever the shade the jeans are. and I have also just thought, I can sew some 2" wide lace or eyelet on the outside where the stitch for the lining is... that might work... but I dont' want it to look junky or stupid or "homemade and hiding something"!!!

rebeccas-sewing
June 10th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Certainly avoiding the need for a lining would be the best scenario. If you have a serger could you serge the seams and skip the lining? What about french seams or is the fabric too thick for that? If you have to add a lining, how about using a fusible? Could you iron on a strip of the fusible along the edge on the right side of the facing then fold it under and fuse it in place? I'll be curious to see how you resolve the issue. If you figure it out and make a test bag please share a pic. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

Eliza
June 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Take off the bottom stitching of the belt loops, stitch the lining to the outside in the ditch below the waist band, reattach the bottom of the belt loops.
The first bag here http://craftyrecycling.livejournal.com/7675.html looks to be done that way and the stitching is not noticeable.