PDA

View Full Version : Debit Card Fraud -- Follow Up esp. for Northern California

GuitarGramma
June 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Last week, I told you all that my debit card, which I NEVER use online, got compromised. Someone tried to use it at a gas station many states away.

I was really confused about how they could "use " my card at a gas station, since my card was in my possession. The bank said that sometimes thieves actually produce fake cards. In my case, they got the CVV code wrong.

Well yesterday I got an eMail from Raleys, the biggest grocery chain in Northern California. It stated that they'd been hit by a "major cyber attack" and people's debit and credit card info had been compromised. I called and they took all my info to add to their investigation. Fortunately, they do not track social security numbers or drivers license numbers. Also fortunate that I never use my credit card there; my exposure was limited to just one piece of plastic.

This sounds like a very sophisticated operation, from the theft to the manufacturing of fake cards. At least now I know what happened, which leaves me feeling a bit less vulnerable.

Monique
June 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Sorry this happened.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Happened here in St. Louis to one of our local chains. Caused a huge problem for the business and their customers. I think debit cards are dangerous to use, once thieves get those numbers, they are able to clean out your funds from your bank account. If you use a credit card, you have recourse to let the credit card company bear the burden of fraudulent charges.

Mpyles
June 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
So
Me just generate numbers and try to use them...this was the case on mine and they got away with 767.00!

GuitarGramma
June 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I always thought that keeping debit cards for local use was OK. I figured you had to HAVE something (the card) and KNOW something (the PIN). That's why I wouldn't use the card online. But now that thieves are creating their own cards, I guess they can "have" your card, and they get the PIN from the computers they breach.

I may just start doing everything by credit card, as you say, Jean.

bubba
June 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM
That happened to me right before Christmas. I found out as I was trying to pay for a bunch of gifts! Whomever had gotten a hold of it 'tested' the number first by charging a small, strange amount and that is how my bank caught it and immediately cancelled the card. I would have liked to known about it, but someone dropped the ball and forgot to do that! That card had also never left my custody, so I have no clue how it happened. I did suspect a restaurant, but I have no proof.

auntiemern
June 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
That is how they caught one of the attempts on my card. Something stupid like a $3 charge to a Doctor. I was like if I could find a doctor that only charged $3 I would be all over it, lol. My bank is actually very good at spotting things that don't seem right. I have had to replace my card 3 times.
That happened to me right before Christmas. I found out as I was trying to pay for a bunch of gifts! Whomever had gotten a hold of it 'tested' the number first by charging a small, strange amount and that is how my bank caught it and immediately cancelled the card. I would have liked to known about it, but someone dropped the ball and forgot to do that! That card had also never left my custody, so I have no clue how it happened. I did suspect a restaurant, but I have no proof.

HdWench
June 9th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Good tip Jean! I just don't use my debit card, but a couple years ago got a few "Test" of pennies!! or odd like Marilyn $1.07? When that went through, Wheeee they tried to have fun all online but they got stopped fast thanks to our bank.

Unfortunately, they CHEAT us and the bank (or credit card company) as the now have to suck up those fees, and WE have things "tied" to the charge card - rotating bills *sigh* so getting new card still hurts us, but Thanks Jean - Will remember NOT to use the Debit or things can go from bad to worse quick!

Oh Marilyn - Please let me know where that Doc is that only charges $3.00!!!! hehehehe

;-Debbie

rebeccas-sewing
June 9th, 2013, 06:43 AM
This problem is world-wide, I guess. I just recently had credit card fraud on my UK credit card. Had to cancel it and have a new one issued. Sorry you had this problem. It's very frustrating that there are so many crooked individuals in our world.

Joe was just reading to me today about a million dollar heist at Selfridges Department Store here in London. Six individuals disguised in burkas stole a million dollars worth of watches from them. I don't have the details and am curious as to how that played out. All I know is some of them have been caught. Can you imagine being so brazen to walk into that huge department store and attempt such a robbery? Incredible.

Bubby
June 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry this happened. I know how violated and vulnerable it makes you feel. We recently had someone commit fraud with our credit card. Now I don't shop online anywhere if they don't offer PayPal. I'm not even sure if this is totally secure, but it hasn't happened again since I made this change. My credit card company was very helpful and gave me credit for the fraudulent purchases almost immediately.

MayinJerset
June 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Good info to know. I don't have a credit, debit or ATM card from my bank and my credit card isn't tied to my bank accounts as it is from the credit union from where I worked. Still I think paying cash for things may be the way to go. Have had the credit card for about 30 years, not the same account number as they often change that. Makes me wonder if they issued me new account numbers to help prevent fraud or because their system has been hacked.

MartinaG
June 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I just got a call from Wells Fargo that someone tried to make purchases with my Wells Fargo credit card. While I am glad that I am not responsible for the charges, I now get to update any accounts where I normally use that number. **** thieves!