PDA

View Full Version : It's Saturday again.

Monique
June 8th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Another rainy day today. I am going to an auction sale this morning. Lots of assorted quilting supplies it said. Might find a good deal. Tonight is our Relay for Life walk. My brother and his girlfriend are walking with me. I got an email from my daughter-in-law who is in Hungary on vacation. She found a fabric store. Can't wait to see what she picks out for me.

That is about the extent of my day today. I hope the sun is shining for you today. Have a wonderful weekend, friends.

Mpyles
June 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Good morning! Off to work for me today! Then a day off work tomorrow after a long 6 day work week and looking like another next week!!

Worked on a jo Morton doll quilt...cutting out all the little pieces. Hoping to start putting them together tonight.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 8th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone! Mary, you are the hardest working gal, yet you find time to make quilts!

I thought I was going to be watching y grandkids this weekend, but no, their mom's partner is still on vacation. And I thought I was going to be working on a 48 hour film project, writing and costuming, but it is next week. So it was like someone gave me two days free, so I am investigating the joys of twister quilts. I have the basic squares put together, found my ruler and today I'm going to cut the twister squares and reassemble them. This is a trial quilt, to measure just how much they shrink when you cut them. I am using a kids print that was on special, and I want to make one from Paris Flea Market for my queen bed, i just cant't figureout how big I need to start with. The directions say, it shrinks by 1/3. By making a trial quilt, I'll be able to judge a little closer. Anyone have experience with making these? I know Denis was giving a class on it in May.

I hope everyone has a good weekend! Weather can't stop us! So rainy or sunny, have fun!

Bubby
June 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Good Morning,

We are loaded up and ready to head for Cuba for a few hours of yard work. It's a cool morning and the birds are filling the air with their songs.

I wish everyone a great day! Hugs....

MayinJerset
June 8th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Last night it was just raining when we decided to go out to dinner at the Chowda House, so cold out that a nice big bowl of New England Clam Chowder seemed like a good idea. We gave up that thought while driving there as the hurricane rains and winds hit us with full force. We both got pretty wet just going from our car into our house while we were under a big golf umbrella. The Clam chowder will have to wait for another day. Nice and sunny out this morning but I'm aching all over so I'm not going to enjoy it. Had to cancel going to Pillowcase Sew In, not too unhappy as it was scheduled at a quilt shop about 1 hour drive from my house. Shop is close to the Jersey shoreline and there may be flooding in the area.

Going to finish my coffee and rest on couch for a bit as I didn't sleep well last night, guess whatever is making me ache this morning began during the night. Hope all you are feeling better than I am and get something productive done today. May

toggpine
June 8th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Why is it that on the mornings you can sleep in, you can't? Ugh! Hubby had to be up early to catch a ride with the guys for his competition gun shoot, so at 4:30 I'm awake. I made the trip to the bathroom and tried to go back to sleep. That was like trying to catch a butterfly without a net; oh so close, but not quite. Then the alarm came on with National Public Radio and I gave up.

I now have showered, will go have a bowl of Cheerios (that has to help) & a cuppa coffee, and putter around in the sewing room. I'll probably wish for a nap later, but unless I can tranquilize the little miss, I'll have to settle for early to bed.

I hope you all have a great day!
Cathy

grannyann
June 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
MayinJersetI am sorry you didn't get your chowder last night. I was raised in Ma and that is one of the things I do miss is the New England Clam Chowder . Hope your feeling better and can get your chowder later today.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
June 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hi all! I am going to try to sew today! Yeah! Still waiting for my package from M* can't wait until our mail gets here today. Hope you all have a great day!

sally
June 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Good morning. Sunny day here garage saleing day! Good luck Monique at the auction and on the Walk. Hope the weather doesn't keep too many away. Worthy cause! I just finished making 10 quilted bookmarks yesterday. Took old scraps, crazy quilted them together and cut them into bookmark sizes. Used decorative stitching on the top part, put a back on and then sewed on some fabric flowers on top. Turned out not bad for something I thought of of the fly...was going to use old cards. These are way better. I belong to a snail mail group and we are exchanging bookmarks and a piece of fabricl for our anniversary. Pretty cool! Well must go..coffee is ready and it is my morning porch swing time!
Hugs to you all!
Shauna

Roxanne
June 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Happy Saturday to everyone! I have been fighting a cold all week and I do believe the cold has finally won. I'm feeling pretty crappy this morning. Hubby is going to the cabin for the weekend. I would love to go but I think I had better stay home. We have had rain for a couple days and the cabin will be damp. Probably not a good environment for overcoming a cold. I have two quilt tops ready for quilting. I may tackle one of them later. One is a scrap quilt that I put together and I'm really happy with it. I just cut 4 inch squares from my scrap bin and put them together on point. There is a sweet young couple from Chicago who have the cabin next to ours and they have an adorable little 2 year old daughter. I plan on giving this quilt to her when it is done.

Monique, I wish I could go to the auction with you. I love auctions. Hope you find something good. Be sure and let us know!

Ginny B
June 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Good Morning everyone. Sure is a better morning today than it was yesterday. The rains have stopped although it is clouding up again. My phone alert kept going off last night everytime they extended the flash flood warning -- which they kept doing until about midnight. Things have subsided here. Our street looked more like a river at times last night. We were going to go up to CT to set up my vendor booth but decided to wait until tomorrow since there is still a chance of some t-storms later and we just don't want to get caught in those while traveling there and back. So, we will head up tomorrow.

So today we may plant a few things that need to get into the ground - weather permitting and I may make a few more 10-minute tablerunners for the booth. I was surprised that it really did take 10 minutes.

Ok, better get this day moving along. I have just enjoyed a nice breakfast with dh which included some strawberries from our garden. YUMMO. :) Have a wonderful day everyone

Ginny B

Sandy Navas
June 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
http://jomortonquilts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/AndoverMM.jpg

**Thank you Mary - I had to check out Jo Morton quilts and WALLAH, I fell in love. This is the Madison Manor line of fabrics that was featured on her website . . . aren't they just about the best thing going? Now where's the bank loan papers?

Sun out here today, too. Loving the idea of NE Clam Chowder - a friend taught me to make it oh, so very special, a few years ago and I think I need to practice again. Al absolutely loves it, the girls will all eat it, and it is so absolutely yummy. Thanks for the idea!!

Headed to Food Coop today. It is definitely hard work but so worth it. Anyone else on here familiar with Bountiful Baskets? Can't believe the difference in truly fresh as compared to what we think of as fresh in the grocery stores. Just picked yesterday always wins out in my book.

Did finish up Emily's project for the VA Hospital - 100 cotton napkins. That's a lot of serging - no wonder the poor child wore out. I did realize my serger is at a very uncomfortable height and for a little one it would be nigh on impossible to work there for very long. Also started work on my patriotic quilt for the same charity group. I had all the blocks cut and partly sewn together. Going to do a D9P and I'm alternating block colors - one will be blue on the corners, with white and a red center. The others will be red on the corners with white and a blue center. I haven't cut the 9 patches as yet to see what the final arrangement will be. I'm also debating on sashing for my wonky house quilt. Wish there was a way I could have you all help me out. I can't come up with a color for the sashing that I think compliments. I started using a wide muslin but think that give too much 'blank' space . . . so that will be froggied. Leaning toward trying a two-toned sashing of yellow with a narrow black on both sides to 'frame' the house blocks. I need to lay something out and see if it will work and then take pictures so I can garner some expert advice. If I don't wear myself out this morning I'll try to get in the sewing room when I get home.

To all our wonderful on-line friends I offer prayers for your well-being, comfort, and healing. May the joys of the world be yours today.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-04-14-Stop___Smell_the_roses.jpg

Lissau
June 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
No roses here it's winter hehehehehe :):icon_heh::icon_slap::icon_umpf::icon_umpf::icon _beuj:

ilive2craft2
June 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Good Morning! I wanted to sleep in this morning too, but the nurse from my mom's assisted living apt called to say mom's blood pressure was a little better this morning - it has been too low (90/60 range) and she is dizzy, etc. She also fell during the night and didn't use her button to call someone to help her get up. When I asked mom why - she said "there isn't anyone here at that time of night and if there are, I didn't want to bother them".... This is why we moved her from her independent living place - she wouldn't bother the managers if she fell. Glad she is ok, but a little frustrated. They changed her meds a week ago because her blood pressure was too high.... They did more tests yesterday and she is wearing a heart monitor for a day to see if they can figure this out. Glad something is recording what is happening, maybe they can fix this. So, will probably be with mom today, which is not a bad thing - it just keeps me from my sewing room! I am going to go chat and giggle for awhile with mom--sometimes we get so silly, it will be good for both of us. Have a great day everyone! :)

shermur
June 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Mornin', darlins! (Almost missing it!)...Sunny here, very busy day! So far, the house is calling my name to tidy and clean...I am somewhat ignoring that fact! I took the time to prep two more rows my my current Falling Charms project for child #3. Need to get around and get ready for the baby shower we're attending this afternoon....There is never enough hours in the day. I stayed up until 1 AM this morning in the sewing room.....

Madeforyouinma11
June 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Happy Saturday everyone! The rain was really bad here last night. My daughter and son-in-law were up late keeping the water at bay. I finished up for them this morning since they had a graduation to go to. All is good now that the sun is shining.
Going to see my little Julia today! I haven't seen her since Tuesday so I'm having some withdrawals..lol
Nothing else here. Hoping to do more cleanup in my sewing room tonight when I get home. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all of my quilting friends. Hoping that health and peace is right around the corner.

auntiemern
June 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Well it is still Saturday. I have the 2 youngest til about 3 then will have all 3 this evening. Already pooped out. Doubt that I will get much done this week end. But so looking forward to Monday, when I take the first batch of quilts to the PICU. I have 54 and 40 pillow cases, and Jean is going to meet me there with her 12 and Robins 3. Was hoping to get one more done so I had an even 70, but can't see that happening now. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

bakermom
June 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Spent the day poking around the city-wide yard sales. Came home empty-handed. then fixed some dishes for our 4H potluck tonight(it's always cool and rainy when they do this-tonight will be no exception). i had planned on getting out to Joanns today but it didn't happen. maybe tomorrow after church. I don't NEED anything, but it's been a while since i walked thru and got my fabric fix.

Jean, i took a quick measure of a table topper i made- 5 charms across plus a 3" border. After using the twister template and resewing it measures about 17". I started out about 28" . hope this helps.

Mpyles
June 8th, 2013, 06:55 PM
http://jomortonquilts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/AndoverMM.jpg

**Thank you Mary - I had to check out Jo Morton quilts and WALLAH, I fell in love. This is the Madison Manor line of fabrics that was featured on her website . . . aren't they just about the best thing going? Now where's the bank loan papers?

Don't ya just love it!! That's why I do the doll quilts, lol...fat quarters!