PDA

View Full Version : Pre-packaged batting request!

Cat n bull
June 7th, 2013, 11:03 PM
It seems to be getting harder to find pre-packaged quilt battings! I don't have a 'local' shop that is convenient to get to, so mail order is how I shop the most.

It would be SO NICE if the M* Quilt Shop started carrying a nice variety of pre-packaged battings!

Warm company is easy to find, but I don't like their batting.

Luna by Moda has some VERY nice bamboo/cotton, but I can't find it anymore. They also have a Soy batting and I can't remember the other, but where to find them?

Quilter's Dream makes some nice battings also, would be WONDERFUL to be able to get them from Missouri Star in a nice variety of fibers and sizes.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Connecting Threads carries Hobbs. Which is what I think MSQC uses, amd their shipping costs are reasonable.

Cat n bull
June 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM
How is Hobb's? I have never used it. I figure of I am going to use all cotton I may as well get warm co's cotton, but I like my quilts to be a bit thicker/drapier than that.

I hate to just buy a blend without knowing if I'll like it. I know Hobb's has a popular poly/cotton blend. So far Quilter's Dream Puff is my favorite poly batting but it is fluffy. Nice for kids but not what I like for adults.

I usually buy king size, or queen if king isn't available, so I can get a few kid's quilts out of it.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I like Hobbs better than Warm cotton because it is softer and drapes better. It is 80% cotton 20% poly, you get the stability and warmth of cotton and poofy loft of poly.

Cat n bull
June 7th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks Jean! That sounds like something that I would really like too!

K. McEuen
June 7th, 2013, 11:35 PM
The quilt I had MSQC longarm has the Hobbs 80/20 in it. Weight wise or drape wise I don't see a lot of difference between that and Warm &.

You mentioned Quilter's Dream. I don't know if you have a hard time finding it, but Backside Fabrics carries it in all the different kinds. I've never ordered batting from them, but have ordered fabrics. http://www.backsidefabrics.com/quilters-dream-batting.html

Hulamoon
June 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM
One of my shops carries quilter's dreams, natural low loft. My other carries warm and natural on bolts. I remember buying the quilters dream a long time ago and I remember it was a little thinner. That might b better for this climate. Any other differences?

lilmouse
June 8th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Quilters dream "Request" batting is great for hand stitching; so it would probably be great for the machine as well...one of the highly recommended batts for hand quilters..but a little pricey!

Hulamoon
June 8th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Quilters dream "Request" batting is great for hand stitching; so it would probably be great for the machine as well...one of the highly recommended batts for hand quilters..but a little pricey!

I went and looked at the link above and it sounds perfect. Warm climate and good for short arm quilting. At least I wouldn't have to pay shipping! now I have to go see how much it is. lol

auntiemern
June 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I buy the Hobbs 80/20 from Connecting Threads all the time. I like it better than Warm and White or Warm and Natural. It is just a little loftier, and I just like it better. I think you would be happy with it. They have it on sale quite frequently too.

Cat n bull
June 8th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks Marilyn. I think I will try that next, I DO like that extra loft.