PDA

View Full Version : 2 Tips for Hexie Hand Stitchers

rebeccas-sewing
June 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I was watching a Fons and Porter video on hexies and during the tip section they mentioned this:

When sewing two hexies together use a mini binder clip to hold the opposite sides together while you do the whip stitch. Thought that was such a simple tip so the two pieces don't slip as you're stitching.

Use clear mono-filament thread to whip stitch avoiding any possibility of the stitches showing on the front of the work.

On another site a gal uses a running stitch instead of the whip stitch to sew the hexies together also avoiding any stitches showing on the front. She claims its a quicker method of stitching.

Wwena
June 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I think the binder clip is a good tip for hexies slightly bigger than mine, I can hold them no problem. I have long fingers though and can reach around them. ;) Ty for posting!

quilter.martha
June 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I am working on my first paper piecing project, so these tips are greatly appreciated Rebecca! I'm gonna give the binding clip a try.

SandyWhite
June 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
That binding clip idea might come in handy for me because I don't put my hexies right side together when I stitch them but butt them up against one another. A small binding clip on the opposite side from my beginning stitch may really come in handy. I'll try it. (When I do my hexies - butt together - this way BTW the stitches don't show.)

asta
June 7th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Great tips, thanks for sharing!

aqua-teal71
June 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I like these times. Made a queen size the old way. Thanks for the tips.