PDA

View Full Version : A strange visitor

asta
June 7th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Our doorbell rings about an hour ago, after corralling the dog into the backyard I answer the door. It was a realtor, she has a buyer that may be interested in buying our home. It is not on the market, but my husband and I have been talking about selling for about 6 months or more. She wants to meet with us on Monday to do a preliminary home assessment and discuss the details. Not sure what to think??????
Beth

Sew Perfect
June 7th, 2013, 12:06 AM
That's so interesting! What a compliment!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 7th, 2013, 12:06 AM
In the past week, I've gotten two mailings from people who said they want to buy my house. I'd be wary. I think they will low ball you, you will not make a penny on the deal. Let me know how this goes.

MRoy
June 7th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Be very careful...there are so many scam artists these days.

Hulamoon
June 7th, 2013, 12:11 AM
I would be really careful of this. I inherited a house in calif, I fixed it up and it's now renting. I constantly get postcards in the mail asking if I want to sell. I asked my realator and it seems it's a common practice. If you do want to sell go through a proper realator that you trust. people like to flip houses and will take advantage really fast.

Gayle Russell
June 7th, 2013, 12:14 AM
DO NOT let those people in your home. I've heard of people doing this, they go in, inspect your home, taking very careful note of all your possessions, if there's any security devices, then come back later when no one is home and steal you blind. DON'T let this happen to you.
I've never heard of reputable realtors doing door to door solicitation!

asta
June 7th, 2013, 12:19 AM
The visit was from a real estate agency here in town, a well known and well respected company, just got off the phone with my DH, he is all excited, he says he went to school with this realtor. Small world.

shannonsaulter
June 7th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I would still be wary of the prospective buyers the realator coulp just be a pawn in their game

auntiemern
June 7th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I would be very cautious of this. Seriously, realtors just don't go cold calling on people like that. Just because he went to school with her, doesn't mean he knows her now. Just saying, be very very careful.

Mchelem
June 7th, 2013, 01:26 AM
So, a realtor shows up at your door at 9 at night, wanting to help their customer buy a house that isn't even for sale?????

That in itself sounds fishy.

rebeccas-sewing
June 7th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I'm assuming you are not letting someone into your home without first checking their credentials. By that I mean contacting the agency where they claim to work to check. Making sure this person is legit should be your first priority before proceeding. I can just about guarantee they are looking to buy your place under market value having just knocked on your door the way this person did. As others are advising - be careful.

Blondie
June 7th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Years ago, while living in Florida, I sold Real Estate on the side. I had built in clientele through my salon; always knew someone who was in the market to buy and sell. One house I sold was a result of my driving through a specific neighborhood that a client wanted to live in. I saw a For Sale By Owner sign and asked the owner if I could get the listing for this client; that way we could both make some money. He agreed and I showed the house to a client, sold it and 24 hours later, everyone was happy.

I told you all that to tell you that this may be a legitimate call but why in the world show up so late in the evening? Be careful, the advise you have been given above is very sound and true. Hopefully, the realtor is someone with moxey like me. a client who wants your house and everyone will be financially happy.

Bubby
June 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM
We have been approached numerous times in this manner. For realtors it's a numbers game...the more listings they have and the more For Sale signs they put up, the greater their odds are of a sale. Don't list your home unless it's what you really want to do. Tread with caution...scams abound nowadays.

asta
June 7th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I appreciate all the advice. Yes we are proceeding with a lot of caution. We will be stopping in at the office and check with the owner, my cousin worked with him to purchase their home recently and when I chatted with cousin last night they were very happy with the company, and they did have this particular realtor show a house to them. We will make sure we talk to several realtors and get their estimations on the value of our home, we do not want to get taken. I did not let her into the house, we chatted on the front porch.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers for this to work out, one way (sale) or the other (no-sale).

Genny
June 7th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Our doorbell rings about an hour ago, after corralling the dog into the backyard I answer the door. It was a realtor, she has a buyer that may be interested in buying our home. It is not on the market, but my husband and I have been talking about selling for about 6 months or more. She wants to meet with us on Monday to do a preliminary home assessment and discuss the details. Not sure what to think??????
Beth

Just to be safe, I would make sure this lady is a real realtor and not someone that may just want to get into your home. I don't mean to scare you or anything but theres a lot of weird people in our world. Be safe...check her out...please.

pcbatiks
June 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
It sounds very suspicious to me too. Why would they show up that late at night? I would check with the Better Business Bureau about that. I agree with Gayle......I would not let them in my house.

grannyann
June 7th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I agree with the others , what is she doing out at 9 at night. I think it very rude to be out bothering people that time of night.What was so important that it couldn't wait until day light? Please be careful.

twnkeyes
June 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Please be careful! We had the same thing happen to us and the realtor was just trying to drum up business. We signed a contract and he did NOT have someone interested!!! He lied through his teeth. We were into the contract for 6 months! It did eventually sell but we were so angry with the realtor we wouldn't meet with him again. Everything was done via phone until the closing.

shermur
June 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Do your research, Asta....from our prior experience, it is best to seel your home yourself. I fired two agents before we sold our acreage. And when we decided on the house we were to purchase, we did not sign any binding contact with the realtor. It would be interesting to try to sell yourself to see if you get any prospective "bites" on your property to the next owner that wants in live in the home you and your family built memories in....JMO! Be careful!

Claire Hallman
June 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Not a realtor but my neighbor is a home inspector and we talk. The inventory of houses for sale is very low at the moment and there are people looking/buying here at least.
I know in the past my mother and her realtor knocked on doors of likely houses to find one that suited them.
I know that you can make a one day contract [in Alabama anyway] for a particular realtor/buyer and if the deal does not work out then you are free and do not have to leave your house on the market.

BellasQuilts
June 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I would be very, very wary. I wouldn't let them in the front door. If you want to sell, get a realtor you know and can trust.

asta
June 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Well, went to visit the real estate agency in question, spoke to the owner. He said that he gave the agent our info, he heard from my uncle (who he golfs with) that we are thinking of listing the house. They do have buyers looking for a handicap accessible home within walking distance of the assisted living center where their 20 yr. old daughter will be residing and we are 4 blocks from there. The poor girl was struck by a drunk driver in a restaurant parking lot and will be wheelchair bound for life. He said that he was disappointed that the agent came by at 8:30pm with no call, that she should have known better. I put a call out to my uncle and yes this story seems legit, and he is taking us out to dinner tomorrow to apologize for putting out our business. We will be having an independant appraiser that we have worked with in the past come in on Monday to do an appraisal.
So once again, we venture into the process.

bakermom
June 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
That kind of thing really turns me off. It might be innocent, but I just don't like it.
Many years ago a realtor stopped by my parents house the same way. told them they were living in a very desirable area and she had many clients that would be interested in their home. Dad told her"I know. that's why I live here!"