PDA

View Full Version : french braid

luana
June 5th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I am looking for a pattern to use with the french braid made with the small half hexi runler.

Hulamoon
June 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Here ya go I hope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dn_4vTxwfk

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Here's a pattern from Eleanor Burns that has the template with it. Uses jelly rolls. I made this at her seminar I took in April.http://quiltwoman.com/braid-in-a-day-quilt-in-a-day.aspx

K. McEuen
June 5th, 2013, 03:54 PM
You can also Google patterns for the "friendship braid" which is what you are really looking for.

bubba
June 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I just did a top w/that template.....here it is, still unquilted cuz life happened -

It really goes fast!

---oops, forgot to mention it's upside down!

Rhonda D. Matzker
June 7th, 2013, 01:30 AM
nice braid, but it is not a true french braid quilt. this is a true french braid pattern.

If you look at this pattern, the braid is separated by an accent piece of fabric with matching fabric on both sides of accent. If you look up French Braid Quilt books you will see all kinds of quilts done in "this" pattern. The other is simply a braid, not a "french" braid.

Rhonda D. Matzker
June 7th, 2013, 01:38 AM
A true French Braid quilt does not use templates. You are looking for another kind of braid. However, a true French Braid quilt is very easy to do, despite at how difficult it looks. The post I made early shows a queen size quilt that I did using the "French Braid" pattern. It only took me 3 days to put the complete top together.

Mchelem
June 7th, 2013, 01:38 AM
nice braid, but it is not a true french braid quilt. this is a true french braid pattern.

If you look at this pattern, the braid is separated by an accent piece of fabric with matching fabric on both sides of accent. If you look up French Braid Quilt books you will see all kinds of quilts done in "this" pattern. The other is simply a braid, not a "french" braid.
Well, technically this isn't what the OP is looking for because she said "half hexi ruler" and yours doesn't use that. And who cares, honestly?? There's no right or wrong way to make a quilt. If she wants to make a French braid using a template, by all means, she's allowed to. There's no hard and fast rules.

I'm sure she was meaning friendship braid and just called it French braid. Even so, you can google a quilt pattern and get several different answers and photos. Not everyone calls theirs the same.

Rhonda D. Matzker
June 7th, 2013, 01:46 AM
That my be true, but patterns have a name for a specific reason and I wasn't trying to be rude, just showing her the difference. If patterns can be called whatever they wanted by those making them, it would be hard for others to find similar patterns to use. All I am saying is that if someone is going to show a pattern to someone, they should at least have the right name for it so others can find that same pattern to add to their pattern book if they so choose.

bubba
June 7th, 2013, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Rhonda D. Matzker;326911]nice braid, but it is not a true french braid quilt. this is a true french braid pattern.

I know it was not the French braid, as I know the difference. She had asked to see the one made with the half hexi template, and that is the one I just completed.

Mchelem
June 7th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Well I googled "friendship braid quilt" and came up with images like yours and like hers. Who's to say who's right and who's wrong? I also googled "French braid quilt" and got some of the same results.
Pinterest too.
And people change the names of patterns all the time.

Jenny from M* calls the "Arkansas snowflake" a " periwinkle", both are correct. Your post just struck me wrong I guess. Carry on- Im going to take a nap or something.

Hulamoon
June 7th, 2013, 05:43 PM
The half hexi is what gave away what she wanted. We all knew what she was saying. I just wish op's would come back sometimes though. lol

I can't decide on the half hexi or the binding tool if I ever decide to make one. Not another templet :icon_mooooh:

K. McEuen
June 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I can't decide on the half hexi or the binding tool if I ever decide to make one. Not another templet :icon_mooooh:

Decide how wide you want your columns to be first. The half hexi gives you a narrower column. If you want to make it wider and not so many across the binding tool is the better option. Or just use strips and cut the ends off at 45 degrees. ;)

bubba
June 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Your post just struck me wrong I guess. Carry on- Im going to take a nap or something.

Oh! Oh!! Take one for me too please!!

auntiemern
June 7th, 2013, 10:14 PM
There is a difference between a french braid and a friendship braid. The half hexi and binding tool make the friendship braid. I think Rhonda was just trying to help by explaining the difference and didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. Take a chill pill peeps, tomorrow is another day. Smile on. :)

newmtquilter
March 28th, 2014, 11:37 AM
How much fabric do you need to make a quenn sized quilt like this? I can't find anywhere that gives fabric amounts needed.

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I have several French Braid books (not friendship braid-they are completely different) and to make a basic French braid quilt takes:

FINISHED SIZE: 70″ 93″
Made by Lois Willoughby, quilted by Harriet Rudoff Fabric
Requirements Purchase
now yard each of 12 fabrics for braid run—fat quarters okay yard for accent squares—fat quarters okay yard for center squares (⅝ yard if directional) yard nondirectional fabric for ending triangles—fat quarters okay
Purchase later 1 yards for separator bands, center strips 1 yards for separator bands, outline strips yard for inner borders

Miller, Jane Hardy (2010-11-05). French Braid Quilts: 14 Quick Quilts with Dramatic Results (Kindle Locations 883-895). C&T Publishing. Kindle Edition.

ozziepuppy
April 19th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I just did a top w/that template.....here it is, still unquilted cuz life happened -

It really goes fast!

---oops, forgot to mention it's upside down!

This is very pretty. I like the colors!