PDA

View Full Version : A sunny start to Wednesday

Monique
June 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Good morning everyone. It is a sunny start to the day. Can't wait for the temperatures to climb. We had a frost warning last night. It was pretty cool to let Jersey out this morning.

I have a busy morning, Jersey is going to get groomed and then I have an appointment at the clinic to have some warts/skin tags removed.

Sad news in the community. There was a murder. I knew both the victim and the accused. Such a tragedy indeed. I have heard that is was over girls and drugs, but who really knows. I feel for both families involved. Please pray for all involved.

I managed to get the binding on the baby quilt last night. I need to finish sewing it onto the back and then I am done.

I don't know where Blondie is and I hope all is okay. Maybe she is just a little late this morning. SMILE everyone, no matter what.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Bubby
June 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

It's going to be a beautiful day in our little corner of Missouri! After Jeff leaves for work I'm heading over to the old homeplace to do some more painting. We painted ceilings last weekend and today I will do the trim along the ceiling....yuk! I'm not a painter and every part of it is a challenge for me.

Yesterday I finally got the sewing room straight and organized. Now if I find time I can just sit down and sew. My quilt is still with Reggie being quilted. She had stacks and stacks of quilts ahead of mine, so who knows how much longer it will take. I had hoped to get my DGSs birthday quilt all done for my daughter to take back with her the first week of July, but it doesn't look possible with Reggie's workload right now.

Our daylilies are finally blooming. Normally they are here and gone by this time. We have tiny tomatoes and peppers in the garden. Our weather is still pretty cool.

Yesterday I did the grocery shopping and ran into a friend who was my secretary for 7 years before she left to go back to college. I love her like and daughter and she and my DD are good friends. They met when they were both at my late husband's funeral and struck up a great friendship....Chris and Christie!

I hope everyone has a good Wednesday. It's hump day for a lot of you!

Hugs All Around, Barb

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Morning all! Sun showing its shiny face this morning, so it looks like it will be a good day!

Last night, we said goodbye to a very quiet unassuming man, who's mission in life was to serve others. He was in our church choir, and had his finger in about every activity that the church sponsored. He was a "behind the scenes" kind of guy. One of his many jobs in life was to as a stage manager. If any of you know what a stage manager does, they run the production, and make sure everything runs correctly. Well, Jack was that in spades for almost every event our church held. He was preparing the "stage" mid May for our annual parish festival, and was wiring speakers on the roof of the school. He stepped backward and fell off the roof. He had crushed ribs, collapsed lung, and spinal injuries among others. His healing process did not go well, and he died 10 days later. Last night was his Memorial Mass. I have only seen our church that full on Easter Sunday when the Easter Catholics come to church to show off their Easter finery! Standing room only. Jack's twin sister is a nun, so there were about 100 sisters in her community who attended, and Jack's older brother is a priest, so 17 priests concelebrated the Mass. That left not nearly enough seats for the rest of his friends! I sang with the choir, and the only seat left for me to sit in when I got there was where Jack always sat, back in the row with the men. It was a privilege and honor to sit there. I tried to hold it together during the singing, and did until we sang the traditional Song of Farewell near the end of Mass. This version wasn't the traditional one, but used the text set to other music. It was so meaningful, I just choked up during most of it. But the rest of the time, I just felt joyful at having known such a quiet person who was God's embodiment of a good and faithful servant. We were left with the message, "Rejoice and be glad, for great is your reward in heaven!" Jack is up there with my Ed and a lot of other wonderful people, having a ball up there on Cloud 9!

Have a great day, all!

HandsOffItsMine
June 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Monique, how sad for the girl's family. Violence is so close in our communities now. Prayers for the families and friends.

Can't say have fun at the doctors, but Jersey can enjoy her grooming. :)

Barb, be careful on ladders and don't over do it painting today. I am very behind in this years quilting schedule, haven't been feeling it at all. Off my rhythm and can't get it back.

Need to work on putting away my small pieces of fabrics that I use on journals and mixed media. I had them in nicely stacked in my sewing loft...not so much any more! Yesterday afternoon Ollie decided to play "store" and spread them all over the place...the loft, my bedroom, the hallway, the window ledges. Glad he had a good time, but now Oma has to refold everything, color sort, theme sort, designer sort, etc.!! UGH!! Lucky I love that boy!!! lol

Hope everyone has a great day.

Huggers, Ruby

Mpyles
June 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Good morning! Sun is shining right now but there are storms about 3 hours out...nothing severe...just another rainy day in store.

Yesterday , I had my struggles. I typed my good morning message and just as I hit send I lost my Internet connection. It seems my new hopper from dish network is a Internet hog! I didn't have time to retype so off to work I went. I spent the morning at my store and the headed about10 am to Lebanon. About 30 miles into my trip I ran out of gas on I-44......yep it seems my gas guzzling truck requires gasoline to hurdle itself down the highway....it caused me major anxiety as several people on this stretch of highway have died on the side of the road. Fortunately, my dd was home and she brought me gas.....which caused more anxiety cause I had her on the side of the highway. I got the gas in and her on her way and back on the highway I went. I completely brain farted on the gas...I KNEW that morning I needed gasoline....but when I got back in my truck I just took off. Needless to say...I felt like an idgit!! Got a tick in the deal...standing out in the tall grass. Lol. Thank goodness today is a new day.

Dd recieved her admission to msu west plains.....dad has agreed. She has some hoops to jump through this summer with her savings but she is excited! Basically he wants her to save more than she spends this summer, which is sound advice and I agree.

DS's girlfriend is in Spain right now sending back beautiful photos. I hope she is having a great time. DS said she mentioned she was hungry...I guess the home she is staying in doesn't eat as much as us Americans...lol. She took granola bars and other snacks with her lol she weighs all of about 95 lbs so...her being hungry is saying a lot.

I have a manager at work on vacation...so I am on a 6 day work week this week. So I better get a move on...

Everyone have a great day!!

MayinJerset
June 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Jean, Touching story about Farewell to your friend, he was indeed a special person.

Barb, Had to laugh a bit when you mentioned running into gal who used to be your secretary. DH and I are having lunch on Sunday with someone I was secretary for years ago. I've worked for and with many people over the years and have always have had good relationships with them but sheis one who has become a good friend. Don't see her too often as she lives in another state but we keep in touch. We used to meet in New York to see a show and have dinner but I can't do all the walking any longer so we meet for a late lunch/early dinner at a restaurant near her. She always finds great ones and is friendly with the chefs. The chef at the last place we ate at used to be chef for a NYC mayor, chef even came out to give us a good by kiss.

Really nice, sunny and cool today, just the kind of weather I love.

GinnyKNC
June 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Two days in a row I get to be here! Good Morning All. I hope everyone has a blessed day.
My glucose is finally coming down but I'm still feeling crappy so I hope that turns around soon. I think it's the insulin twice a day that is making me so nauseous. Although I'm losing weight (which I need), this is not exactly the way I expected to lose it :)
Two weeks off of here and I feel so lost lol. I'm still trying to catch up on everything.
Happy quilting everyone

WendyI
June 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Morning everyone. Not much new here....just waiting for vacation and trying to save for Disney which means no new quilt projects for me. Gardens are almost tidied up and life goes on. I'm in a bit of a funk so won't say much else.

Happy Hump Day Y'all!

CrazyMtnLady
June 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Good Morning everyone. It is going to be a very stormy afternoon today. They are calling for heavy rain, strong lightening and the lot. I need to get the laundry off the clothes line before the rain starts. I looked at the radar and it is moving pretty slow, so it looks like I have some time.
DH called from Michigan last night and asked me if I wanted Pearl..his mom's dog. I said NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not want another dog or any other animal that I have to take care of. I am sure there is someone in Lansing that will be willing to take the dog. Daniel and his buddy Jesse are going to start getting his step-dad moved today, but the house the sister lives in is such a mess they have a lot of crap to deal with before they can even think of moving his step-dad. Poor guy has so much on his shoulders.

Hope everyone stays safe if these storms get nasty.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I hope no one is planning a parade today because it sure looks as if it is going to rain on it. It is so dark and dreary out this morning - I am so ready for summer but don't think it is going to show its lovely face around here yet.

Had an enjoyable time at the movies with DGD Michelle yesterday. She is such a wonderful child. Wish some of the others were as sweet and conscientious about . . . well everything. Ready to box the 12YO up and mail her to Timbuktu - wonder how long it would take for Mom and Dad to miss her antics? Pre-teens!!!!

Did a bit of sewing yesterday - Emily pooped out on her charity project for the local VA hospital so I told her I would finish them up. Almost there - they are 20x20" and we are only serging around the edges with a rolled hem. I have so many UFO's in the works - need to get better organized so I am doing something all the time instead of wondering what is just around the corner.

Glad I'm not out painting with Barb today - not my cuppa, that's for sure. Jean's story was very emotional today - those unexpected passings always hurt so much. Monique - prayers for your community's loss. Always so sad when causing harm to someone seems the only recourse. Ruby - I think I would be teaching Ollie how to fold and sort fabric. I do remember the only time my father was so angry with Li'l Sis and I. Mom had two suitcases filled with quilt pieces that her Mother had cut - each size was strung on a thread and there were hundreds of them ready to piece. Mom said we could play with them and play we did. Once you take that thread out there were thousands of little pieces and if you threw them in the air they floated down like falling leaves and literally covered the bathroom floor. All was good until Dad arrived home from work and needed in there . . . may not have been the only spanking he gave but the only one I truly remember. Mary - years ago I ran out of gas in my VW bug (the gauge was broken) and DH chastised me because he had to come rescue me - I should have checked before my trip, right? I got my comeback when he ran out of gas a few weeks later and I never said a word about how he had treated me . . . he has since learned that I am ALWAYS right. May - I'm ready to come have a meal with you. It seems you have exciting times out. Makes me feel like an old stick in the mud at times. Oh, and Ginny - sure hope you can get your insulin regulated so you start feeling normal again. It is good to see you back here though.

Off here to see what kind of mischief I can find. May you all have a wonderful day - take what comes and enjoy.

Lilly
June 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Good Morning Friends. Usually I lurk but today I just have to show up. Jean Sewing machine, I am so sorry for your loss. It breaks my heart and I don't even know the man. But you have a great way with words and your friend reminds me of some I know. I will be more grateful to them because of your story. Thank you. My good friend Ed, across the street, is battling a severe case of Lymes. He is to our neighborhood what Jack was to your church. He's about 80 and he does it ALL and when he got so sick 2 weeks ago the neighbors started sending out group emails to keep us updated. They've never done that before. My DH is a numbers guy so when I need something fixed we either look at Angie's list or call ED. Usually Ed. His wife is like a mother to me so now knowing how worried she is that he will over-extend himself AGAIN, I'm trying to just remember how ED handles things and do it myself. Well,I should get back to work. I've had to put my quilting aside for awhile to get the gardens in. I am constantly amazed at how so many of you manage to do it all and still quilt - feed the cows and get big meals on the table and work etc etc. I am so glad I've come across all of you. YOu impower me to be a much better me. Thank YOU.

toggpine
June 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Morning!
It's a work & school day. I spent too much time poking around before I got here.

You all have a great one!
Cathy

Granny Judy
June 5th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Slept in and just now stirring. I'd probly still be snoozing since I didn't get to sleep til 4 a.m., but the fur babies just don't forget me. They make their Morning rounds and jump on the bed if I'm still in it. Think I spoilt them with a "treat"?? LOL.

I ran out of holiday fabric so I can't finish a couple of table runners til more arrives. And I've got to get rid of some stuff before I can relax in my bedroom. I just kept stacking stuff up in one corner this Winter (and it was a long one).. now it bugs me!! I need to open that window over there and can't get to it. That is on the To Do List for today. I could use a bucket or two of paint in here too!! But a good cleaning is about all I can manage for now.

Sending big hugs out to all.. and prayers to those who are struggling with some hard times.

Tanya D
June 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Jean, thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like a very touching good-bye for a wonderful man.

aliaslaceygreen
June 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Ruh roh! Forgot to say good morning to you all today!!!
Tomorrow I am off...and will begin in earnest the bathroom redo... I have been peeling silicone caulking the last few days after and before work..

hope all is well with everyone and that your day was wonderful!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
An addendum to my story about Jack's funeral-- re: all the Jacks and Eds of the world (thanks Lilly for sharing YOUR story).

One of the members of our choir is 70+ year old Sister Sharon, CPPS. Sister brings her 92 year old mother with dementia to sing with us. Sister is beginning to show signs of following her mother's footsteps about forgetting things, but she is a humble, sweet woman, who often goes out of her way to thank people for things that Sharon appreciates. She will thank me for a special harmony I add to our choir songs, or for someone who helps her mom find the hymn page in the book. At Mass in early May, she thanked Jack for everything he did for the parish. Little did she know that this would be the last thing she would get to say to Jack, because the very next week, he had his accident.

Now, what made her say that at that time? She doesn't know, but it seems to have the Hand of God in it for sure. Why am I sharing this with you? Perhaps to remind all of us all that life can go in a blink of an eye. And we need to thank the Jacks and Eds in our lives, and don't wait to do it! We are not pomised tomorrow!

Mpyles
June 5th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Jean, you are so right!!