PDA

View Full Version : Here's my boy

Tanya D
June 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Here's a shot of Eric playing the game he loves. He clobbered this kid but didn't hurt him. He did keep him pinned a little longer than necessary but avoided getting a penalty.

lilmouse
June 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Way to go, glad he didn't hurt him.....and didn't get a penalty!

bubba
June 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Is that football on ice???

Tanya D
June 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
No, it's lacrosse and this game was on a cement floor in a hockey arena (they just took the ice out last week). Sometimes they play on turf but only when it's a dedicated lacrosse facility. This is box lacrosse meaning it's played indoors. Field lacrosse, which is quite popular in the States, is played outside on a field and is played a bit differently than box lacrosse. There are more players on the field and only certain positions can cross the centre line. Box lacrosse is not popular in the States however universities who have field lacrosse teams like the Canadian box lacrosse players.

Eric plays field lacrosse in the summer and fall. The box lacrosse season runs from April to mid-July.

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Is that football on ice???

Haha, didn't you know Canadians play everything on ice? (it looks like ice to me too)

I think it is lacrosse

bubba
June 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
I know they play on ice!!!!! hahahahaa........

I never would have guessed lacrosse! I see a team practicing when I go to the quilt shop, but other than that I have no clue. My girls did not play sports! I worked with a man who is now retired, and his boys were the same ages as our girls. One of them played lacrosse, and I stupidly got it confused with polo! I asked him where they kept the horses at the school, and he didn't know what I was talking about!! I told him, you know the horses they ride when they play lacrosse. Oh! Well they have stables at the school.....for a good year he had be going until I finally figured out you don't ride horses when you play lacrosse! It was an ongoing joke between us for years.

WendyI
June 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
Lacrosse can be a pretty wickedly tough game, but I understand it's a lot of fun. I used to play broom ball as a young gal...THAT IS played on ice. You wear special rubberized shoes to run on the ice....it was a lot of fun and really good exercise. Sure wish I'd kept at it!

Tanya D
June 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, lacrosse is a very rough sport. Eric had his thumb broken from a stick coming down on it like he was the wood and the stick was the ax. He's also taken a hit from behind into the boards and had his collarbone broken. Then rebroke it a few months later from a check into the boards. He's suffered two concussions as well. He's been playing the sport for 11 years and I still watch thru my fingers at times.

He played hockey for 11 years too...9 of those as a goalie and never suffered any injuries what with all those pucks flying at him at warp speed.

And he gave up hockey for lacrosse, even after all those injuries. Crazy kid!

Wendy, I've never seen broom ball. I'll have to search it and see if there's some videos on it.

Eric's coach actually taught a whole bunch of moms how to play lacrosse...mainly so we could yell at the refs correctly! LOL It was fun and I learned a lot.

Mpyles
June 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Go Eric!!!

Andrea F
June 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Oh, that sounds (and looks!) pretty dangerous!

My son does Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido which are some korean forms of martial arts. I canīt always watch when they fight each other because they donīt hold back. (I was told that not holding back injures the bones just a little bit and when they are healed they are stronger than before.) One of his fellows has lost a tooth a few weeks ago and my son came back from training more than once with bruises and abrasions. But he just likes it a lot. On the other hand I know he could defend himself if it would be necessary. But I definitely liked it better when he was little and played basketball ;)

Marmar
June 5th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Wendy -
Is broom ball like curling? There is a curling club (and no I don't think it's for the hairdressers !) near Utica NY about 60 miles from here. Think it's a Winter Olympic event too.
When I was young (and foolish) about a hundred years ago, one thing we played was crab soccer indoors. If you could picture it, you had to sit on the floor first, then with your arms behind you, and scooch your butt up off the floor, then 'crab walk' (fast) using your hands and feet. It still hurts just thinking about it !