PDA

View Full Version : First MONDAY in JUNE

Blondie
June 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM

Hello Folksies!

Happy Monday and Happy June to each of you!

Yes, it's June. Yes, it's Monday. Yes, I am awake. Yes, been awake for awhile. Yes, I am having one of those mornings when I am thinking why did I wake up? Why don't I just crawl back in the bed? It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, so why can't I? Perhaps I will lie down in a bit . . .

The past few days at work were just marathon days - I came home exhausted (in a good way) and then got up to do it all over again. We had a big bash in my backyard yesterday - we were celebrating all of the June birthdays in the family - only 3 of them but hey - any excuse to get together, right? We decided to eat early because of the rains headed our way. We finished just in time - horrible thunder storms last night and I am not sure how much rain, but, you know my stinking basement - Luscious and I were sweeping and wet vac'ing most of the night. That's why I can't sleep well at the moment. So, all the horrible storms from several days ago in OK, came our way by rain. I would rather sweep rain water out of my basement than deal with tornadoes any day. Besides all of our plantings of last week shall drink it all up with happiness. We still have some more of the transplants to put in the ground too! We also kept my DD's three dogs for the weekend since they had to travel to a wedding Sarah was in. They were wonderful babies for us and I almost shed a tear when they left yesterday afternoon.

Steffi, I read your post about your parent's area in Germany being flooded. We heard on the news yesterday about central Europe being flooded but I didn't realize in Germany as well. All that I saw while walking through the room while it was on was about The Prague.

I intend on sitting down and sewing at some point today. I have many gifties to finish up and a few blocks to work on as well.

Off to read a bit more of the forum - waving hi to each of you as I speed read by. Blessings, hugs, prayers and my bestest SMILE to each of you.

Bubby
June 3rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Good Morning Blondie & Everyone,

It's a damp, foggy morning here. We had a pretty drab weekend. We got a lot of work done on the old house Saturday and then the rains began again. Now we have mud everywhere and our lane is gullywashed and sloppy.

I will be staying home today to sew. I was going to work at the old house and changed my mind. The first thing I will do is devote about an hour to straightening up my sewing space. Sometimes it's a real dumping ground.

OMG, loud thunder and lightning...have to unplug for now. Will try to get back online later.

Wishing everyone a good day....HUGS!

MRoy
June 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Good morning! We had decent weather this weekend, it was cloudy but didn't rain much. The county fair is this week and that's almost a guarantee of rain. Blondie sorry about your basement. We used to get some backup when we needed new gutters. We still get a little when the ground gets saturated. Barb, I hope you get lots done today.

It's time to get ready for work...42 more workdays!

Iris Girl
June 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Good morning all. Its raining and gloomy here today. the rain ruined my iris's they are all kissing the ground now. hopes for sunshine the rest of the week. My Birthday is coming this week and the last week my hubby has been telling me we are going out to breakfast. YYay!! may seem like a small thing to some but I love breakfast out and with money so tight I couldn't wait.... till yesterday when hubby who has been out of work over a year and only managed to find part time work, decides to check his schedule...OF COURSE he is working that day that he promised to take me to breakfast... and I work the rest of the week so thier goes my hopes for a nice breakfast out. So yeah a little sad today knowing their will be nothing done for my birthday and it will pass like all the birthdays before since my mom has been gone . My husband is not to kind do do things for anyone unless it benefits him, thankfully my son will do something. sorry to ramble, now my mood fits the weather.

Hugs to all that need and want them.

Monique
June 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Good morning friends. I had a very busy weekend. We had a wedding on Saturday and yesterday we went to visit Phil and the girls. My has Maizyn grown, and so has Sadie. Phil has a small dog and we arrived with Jersey. Yeah, we had to keep them apart. I took everyone out for dinner, as it was their anniversary last week. We had a great visit. If we hadn't had the dog, we would have spent the night for sure. Oh well, another time. My goodness the weather is strange. It has cooled off drastically this morning. Long pants and long sleeves weather. It is supposed to warm up later. I guess I will work on that darn baby quilt, the baby is expected any day now. I go see another doctor tonight as mine is on the sick list and will not return for a year. I have a spot on my skin that has me a little worried, so I will get that looked at tonight. Wish me luck please.

Have a wonderful day friends.

buckeyequilter
June 3rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Good morning....

I got a little sewing done this week-end. I have all the churn dash blocks made and am now putting them together. Then back to my UFO's for awhile...would like to get those under control.

This weather is crazy...I have family in OK so I called to make sure everything was good their way. I wasn't exactly sure how close to the tornados that they live...about 100 miles. We've had some pop up storms this past week-end.

Happy Birthday to you Iris Girl :)

Myrna - I'm jealous but I sure hope those 42 days go quickly for you :)

Well I need to get busy. Have a great day! Prayers and hugs

Mpyles
June 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Good morning!

Beautiful blue sky's here in my part of southwest Missouri this morning!! Yesterday was a bust for me...it was cold all day long and I could not motivate myself for much....I did manage to put a jacket on and walk the dog....a jacket in June....ya I know right!

Work today...that's about it!

Everyone have a great day!!

Evilynn
June 3rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Hi Blondie & quilting friends :)

Yes, it's pretty awful in the area my parents live but it seems that not only Bavaria is hit by the flooding but also Eastern Germany (AGAIN!, they had a similar flood not toooo long ago..) it's pretty rough over there. My mum says everybody who is able to work helps to get control over the water... where ever possible. Not an easy task. They predicted more rain for today and tomorrow which is obviously a very bad thing - but it should become nicer weather on Wednesday with up to 25 degrees. I hope this will make things a bit better! Luckily, at the very place my parents lived, the town had serious concerns about the width of the river and decided a couple years back to made it wider. Very smart because it would look A LOT different now if they wouldn't have! My mother is really thankful for that. Neighbour villages and towns who weren't as lucky as my parents are now having big big troubles.

Far away in the North, in summery Finland, it's so hot that I spend most of the time inside, sadly. It's burning! And the sickness started to slightly kick in, not as bad as last time, thankfully but I can feel it. The new meds help a lot and I will surely demand more of these for the rest of the week. I need to call tomorrow in the hospital to get a prescription for these. I was expecting far worse and I am pretty okay! That's something I am really thankful for.

I started to cut some squares for the wiggly whimsy quilt from the moda bakeshop and oh boy, how many I need to cut. I will be busy many hours for this, since I failed still to order a June Tayler ruler (I will do that finally next month when my new allowance is due :D - yes I receive it now :) ). On Amazon.com they do not charge that much, I saw. I do have still some allowance left (around the half) but I wanna wait til the month is over to see what I will do with it. I could order it right away but ... well... it can wait and for now I have a normal ruler. It's ok. I think I'll manage.

For tonight's dinner I will not let my MIL cook. We have Salmon that needs to go and I decided to make a Norwegian Salmon dish with rice and tomatoes. It sounds pretty delicious, I'll give it a try and if it's any good, I'll share. :)

That's it for today, I hope you are all doing alright and if not, if you need a shoulder to cry upon, feel free to send me a PM.

Hugs,

Steffie

Jean Sewing Machine
June 3rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hello, my peeps! How is everyone after the weekend? I am a bit tired today. We had a family dinner last night, sort of a remembrance dinner for my late DH, who passed away 7 years ago on June 2, but also one of few dinners we have left before my daughter and SIL move to Atlanta. It was nice! DD#1 ( who is moving) came over early, before I expected them, and the vacuum and steam cleaner were still out, so she helped me finish the floor cleaning. Since she is on a cleaning jag for listing her house to be sold, she was in the mood to clean, and I was the beneficiary of her need for clean! I love that! Then her dear hubs applied his grilling techniques to grilling our steaks, while the two daughters helped with the prep of the rest of the meal. My brother, surrogate grandpa, entertained the kids by playing Frisbee with them, so they were out of the cooks' way! So, it was really a coop meal, and it was good! I chased them all home at 9 because I was wiped out!

I had one more simple quilt top laid out to make another girl quilt for the PICU. I woke up early and got the charms together, need to add borders then quilt it. I hope to get it finished today.

Hope you all have good days ahead of you! And rain, rain, go away for a while! Steffie, hope the beautiful blue Danube is back to normal by next fall when we fly to Europe for our river cruise, and no terrible damage results from all the rain they are having.

MayinJerset
June 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Raining and Gloomy here also although we did have a sunny but hot and windy day yesterday for great grandson George's Christening reception in DGD and her DH's backyard.

Iris, sorry that your Bday breakfast had to be cancelled maybe it can be arranged for another day. Not the same as doing something on your Bday but still a little treat to eat out for a change.

AC isn't working so I'm waiting til 9am to call the heating/ac company. Checked our records and the AC is 20 years old so you know what that means. There goes the furniture I was planning to buy for our family room. See it's a bit past 9am so I better make that call. See ya, May

Sandy Navas
June 3rd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Feeling everyone's joys and woes this morning. What a weekend - I think Saturday was okay. Sunday was spent in KC when Rita took her first communion, and the family treated us to a celebratory cake and ice cream. Al and I went out for a quick lunch and back home for a much needed nap. I do have a BIG problem with getting oh, so very sleepy whenever I eat. I don't know if my sugar spikes or what but it is so annoying to be asked to leave a restaurant because I am snoring in my mashed 'taters. I have been kicked out of just about every place around . . . :-}

Al has promised me that we'll work on cleaning our storage room today and maybe I can start feeling better about the state of affairs in the basement. Hopefully it won't take that long and I can get some sewing in today. Quilt Guild meeting tonight and we have a 25th year anniversary dinner. Gotta get my groove on for that.

To all, may your day bring joy and happiness. Hope everyone is in a healing mode.

SallyO'Sews
June 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Happy Monday, All!
Rain here yesterday evening and this morning, which is WONDERFUL, because it brings the end of the first heat-wave (3 or more days in a row of 90* or hotter) of the year. Not a fan of hot & sticky weather, and soooo thankful I work in an air-conditioned office! Weatherman says we can open our windows this evening - going to be in the 40's & 50's overnight; we call that "good sleeping weather"! Which sounds like a plan right about now, but as I'm at work, I guess I'll wait to nod off! :D Hope you all have a terrific week; that the waters recede in Germany, that New Mexico catches up with the rain they need, that those who are hurting will be comforted, and all who need it get a hug today.
Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

EnumclawGramma
June 3rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Good Morning! The sun is shining and it promises to stick around today. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a good weather week. I've got some weeding to do in the front yard that might happen today!

Busy day yesterday, my BFF from my old job came over, she moonlights as a hairdresser and we all (DD, DGD, another BFF and I) got our hair done! I feel human again! It was a girl day for sure and we enjoyed all our catching up.

Monday chores for me. I keep telling myself I'll let it all go and spend a week in my sewing room but somehow it just never happens. I've got so many UFOs to finish, they taunt me whenever I go in there and look.....

That's it for now. Time to get the DGD off to school and get this day going. Hugs and prayers all 'round. Make it a wonderful day!

Lonna
June 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Looks as if we are in for another hot one today summer is here. It was a normal weekend for me worked Sat until 2 then sewed together my first Jelly Roll race quilt top. Will have to wait for payday Thur before I can finish it. Sunday I did a little cleaning but it must have been to much for me yet. As that one last spot that is hurting from the shingles is really giving it to me today. Thought I was doing so good no pain med for the last three days. Had to break down this morning and take something so now I have to fight the need to nap on and off the rest of the morning. Napping at work just does not work very well.

Prayers and warm thoughts to those who need them.

lilmouse
June 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Morning Everyone...Everything here is fine...laundry is going, got some good sleep last night and I am working most of today but then I am off until Friday evening. I have been working on my scrap pile...I don't think it will ever go down and am trying to figure out a system of where to put the new charms and layer cakes I am making! I have two baby quilts to knock out this week, Marilyn I am going to use your pattern you shared the other day of one and Falling Charms for the other one...have to make them different as they are going to family and I want them to be able to tell them apart easily! One in pink and one in blue will help but easy to grab the wrong one in a hurry!
Helped my BF finish up her baby quilt yesterday and showed her lots of new stuff so she is pretty excited; just has a very full schedule and so her quilting time is very limited!
Hugs and prayers for everyone ...
Susie

Mrs.Sew&Sew
June 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Morning all, hope you had a great weekend! We got very little rain here. We truly need it. But my heart goes out to those of you who are dealing with flooding and tornado's. You are all in my prayers. Hope this week brings you sunshine and better day's ahead!

aliaslaceygreen
June 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Dashing in while Laylabug is napping to say hello!

Put her to bed last night in the Pak-n-Play and found her when I went to bed like this, IN OUR BED. Her parents forgot to tell us she can hike herself out of the PP and ...wow. OK. The bars are at armpit height, that is serious leg swinging! Good thing she just got into bed and went to sleep instead of deciding to play chemistry in the toilet of the bath off our bedroom! (years of knowing that QUIET after putting my brother to bed was a bad sign have STILL not worn off, 35 years later...)

Needless to say, she is napping on our bed and I have the door propped open to listen for her! Haven't read others comments, but I hope all is well....take those hugs where you can get them!

Tanya D
June 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Good morning friends!

Seems quite a few of us are being deluged with soggy weather. It's been a week of rain now except for Saturday it was nice enough to get the lawn mowed (well Steve did it while I sewed :) ) Then it was back to pouring rain yesterday and it hasn't stopped.

I spent Saturday working on the border of a double slice for my mom. She's planning on using this quilt as her bedspread so I'm making it big enough to hang over the sides. One border is 4", the other is 6". I hope it will look alright.

Yesterday I spent the day trying to locate the owners of a stray dog Eric brought home. They arrived just in time for us to leave for a quick road trip an hour North to watch Eric play lacrosse. Poor boys, they have won 1 game in 7. Eric hasn't scored yet and he's getting frustrated. He's a bit superstitious so he's been trying a few different things. He came out for the second period yesterday wearing a different pair of gloves. He thought that might do the trick...nope, he's snake bitten.

Back to work today...when I woke up and heard the rain I just wanted to roll over and go back to sleep but alas, I got up and here I sit.

Zumba starts back up tonight so I'm looking forward to shaking my booty and getting rid of the gloom. Dancing always makes me smile!

Enjoy your day everyone :)

toggpine
June 3rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Good Morning!
The sun hasn't burned through the clouds yet, but the weather man promised it would. I found homes for my new plants. Most of them had multiples in each pot, so I tried them in a few different locations.
I'm off to the thrift store this morning to find some old forks for super cheap. I saw some cute plant markers made with fused glass pieces. I think I can get a similar look with the oven-baked clay. I had better mark some of the perennials or I'll try to yank them up next spring when we do our initial weeding!

I just received my new Keepsake Quilting catalog and it has a couple of patterns that might be perfect solutions for a "manly" quilt that will go together quickly. I MUST get that sewing table cleaned off today.

Hugs all around!
Cathy

WendyI
June 3rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Everyone...late to the parade again.

It's Monday...I have a hard time with smiles on Monday but I do try. The whole office space thing is really getting me down...it's a long story that I won't bore you with. The weather here was totally schizophrenic on the weekend...and I was uber depressed on Saturday...miss my family a lot and am pretty much alone where I am...so had myself a wee pity party most of the weekend. My friends are online only and I'm not very good at maintaining or forming IRL friendships.

For a mood boost we went and looked at camper trailers. Would like to trade ours in for a bigger model and found the PERFECT unit...just have to see if the bank will allow it or totally laugh at us! Fingers crossed....and that did brighten my day a bit....although when the bank turns us down I likely won't be that happy! lol.

Hope you're all staying high and dry now! Have a great day everyone.

kensington
June 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
I was exhausted this morning. Took what I thought would be a short nap around 12:30 and ended up being a BIG nap. We've had so much going on here at the house with people coming and going for the basement issues, and we have been on the go to deal with so many things too... I was just plum give out when I went to bed this morning at 3am. Up again at 8am for the insurance adjuster.

I'm looking forward to relief... Rest, nice warm/hot weather to enjoy the pool. No rain... yep I'm looking forward to NO RAIN. We've been looking online at some things we want to do to restore the basement, so that when it's time to start, we will have a good idea of what we want to do.

Our son came up with a great idea, he thinks we should put in Wainscoting to match our pool table. WOOT! What a great idea! We are thinking of not putting a FULL kitchen back in, but more like a apartment sized kitchen... less cabinets, smaller stove. I only use it for large events when I need the oven. The fridge is for overflow food that needs to be cold for the same events. Or drinks. The rest of the time, no one uses it. We can scale it back a bit. And dh really wants to redo the living room area into theater seating with a VERY large screen TV for watching sports and movies. So... it's all on the table as of right now.

Someone suggested putting in tile flooring rather than new carpet, but, I like carpet. I like to walk barefoot.

But, I ramble... Thanks for letting me put some thoughts on page today. I'm trying to stay encouraged about the weather/rain. Telling myself and dh that it's only the 1st of June like Blondie says... we have plenty of summer left for sunshine and swimming! Have a great evening! Peace.

toggpine
June 3rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Had some success at the thrift store. I found a handful of flatware for the garden stake project.
While I was out I found a brand new 4" drunkard's path template for $3 at Tuesday Morning in the clearance section! I hit Hancock's for more of the fabric for Em's chair cushion since it was a hit for the curtain. It was 40% off! Whoo Hoo!
On a lark I popped over to Big Lots and found a few "jelly rolls". They have about half of the strips, but even needing two they cost less than most JR. They will be good for practicing the couple of patterns I want to test with the pretty hand-dyes I inherited.

Now I MUST get the cutting table cleared. Right now! Dinner is defrosting, Em is off the bus, no more procrastinating!
Catch you all later, or possibly in the morning if I get the sewing machine up and running!