PDA

View Full Version : In my local paper this morning!

Sandy Navas
February 20th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'll probably get in trouble for posting this:

Caldwell County quilting firm goes viral

[David Mifsed, Sarah Galbraith, Natalie Earnheart and Alan Doan came to the aid of their mother when she couldn't work at her quilt shop.]
Eric Keith/St. Joseph News-Press
David Mifsed, Sarah Galbraith, Natalie Earnheart and Alan Doan came to the aid of their mother when she couldn't work at her quilt shop.
HAMILTON, Mo. — Caldwell County’s love for quilting has fanned out across the globe.

A fledgling Hamilton business continues to grow and lure customers interested in the hobby of making quilts. Missouri Star Quilt Co. had its birth in late 2008, when Alan Doan and family members decided to start the business for the future financial security of parents Ron and Jenny Doan. The company serves as a one-stop shop for quilting fabric, quilting supplies, mail-in machine quilting, quilt patterns and fabrics.

More than two years later, Missouri Star Quilt is marketing its wares to customers in other states, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere around the world. In fact, the craze has online fans conversing in numerous dialects, such as Tagalog — one of the Philippines’ major languages.

“It’s really paid off for us,” Mr. Doan said. “We started out with $2,000 to buy fabric.

“People come from all over” to take quilting lessons from his mother, he added.

Mrs. Doan loves the work she crafts at the shop. “Whoever thought that somebody would become a quilting star?” she quipped.

Admittedly, only a few customers sought Mrs. Doan’s assistance with their projects at first — usually in a search for certain types of fabric. It became clear that Missouri Star Quilt would need outside income to pay for the new venture.

“We needed to find a way to bring an influx in,” Mr. Doan said.

Social media launched the enterprise into Internet orbit. On a Thursday Facebook page view, more than 4,000 people expressed their preference for the firm’s services.

An online feature known as the Quilter’s Daily Deal allows customers to shop for patterns, kits, needles and the like. It was a never-before-attempted innovation, according to Mr. Doan.

“It was slow at the beginning,” he said, “but we knew we had a good idea. Our entire focus has been on making quilting fun and easy.”

Free computer-based tutorials by Mrs. Doan, an active weblog and local workshops help reach that goal. Supplies are available for purchase at the shop as well.

“We’re really trying to make it easy for people to learn,” Mr. Doan said. “We’re the largest quilting channel on YouTube.”

Missouri Star Quilt operates Tuesday through Saturday with nine employees. The entire family forfeited paychecks for the first year to achieve success. The level of business has skyrocketed to a level of 300 to 400 quilt packages produced by the shop daily. Hamilton’s post office has even received a jolt from customers mailing in their Missouri Star Quilt orders.

Benefits to the Doan family have extended to the community at large, with tourism and retail business flourishing in Hamilton.

Quilting’s popularity makes it resistant to the economy, since the blankets offer a practical use for all families.

“It’s a hobby that’s very justifiable,” Mr. Doan said.

“It becomes an heirloom,” Mrs. Doan added of quilts. “It lasts for generations.”

Missouri Star Quilt is located at 100 N. Ardinger St. The phone number is (816) 583-7722 and the website is www.missouriquiltco.com.

debinmalaga
February 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Sandy, thank you so much for posting the news story! I'm so happy for the MSQC, their success is well earned and has brought friendship and creativity to many.

toggpine
February 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Great story, but needs a better reporter, preferably one who knew how to do some research on the topic they were reporting!
Jenny & Al carried most of the article, but it is nice to hear how well the shop is doing and that it is making an impact on the community too!
Long live MSQC!

quiltingtrish
February 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Wow - what a great article. Many continued successes for your company!

Hugs,

patticakes
February 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM
How nice to receive this recognition and from a business stand point, the free advertisement! I loved MSQC from the first day I found them on the internet!
When I visited Hamilton I could not believe how small it was so I am sure their success has helped this town's economy.
Much continued success to them!

Patrice
February 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
wow that is awesome. You know ladies the more popular they become the earlier we better get to those daily deals! Congratulations. After two quilt shops closing here. I wish I had the guts to open one.

Mia
February 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you so much Sandy for sharing the article.
It feels as if we are watching as well as being a part of the beginning of something that will continue to grow beyond our imagination, thanks to a very loving and dedicated family. What a happy and uplifting story.

I had been thinking of quilting for a while but didn't have the courage or knowledge to jump in. One evening I did a Google search for quilt fabric and was directed to Missouri Star, where I saw the word "TUTORIAL." I spent the next hour or probably more watching Jenny. It felt as if she was talking only to me ....... sharing her expertise and effervescent personality. Within a few days I'd watched every Jenny tutorial I could find..... then I found my way to the forum and .... now I'm happily addicted.

Not only has the family created a business, they have helped create friendships.

Wishing all of you continuing success and blessings,
Hugs
Mia

Sandy Navas
February 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Great story, but needs a better reporter, preferably one who knew how to do some research on the topic they were reporting!
Jenny & Al carried most of the article, but it is nice to hear how well the shop is doing and that it is making an impact on the community too!
Long live MSQC!

I am laughing so hard - our local paper needs a lot more than better reporters, although that would be a good start. And our local TV station is absolutely laughable, too - and yet I have heard that they are the ABC affiliate training station. Go figure - no Katie Couric here, that's for sure.

janluna
February 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
What Mia said. I have made more friends to love and care for and about. Plus if it wasn't for Jenny's tutorials I would have given up by now and just figured I was to dumb to quilt. However Jenny made me shine and for that I am forever grateful. I met my Laura and found out she only lived a couple of miles away from me. Since then I have found all of you and my heart is full. All because some kids were looking out for their parents, when they retired. Love is always the answer! Hugs, Jan

shell.scraps
February 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for sharing the article!! What great advertising for the store and just a great home town story for the Hamilton area. Congrats!!

Blondie
February 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Loved reading the article, Sandy. Thanks for sharing it. This wonderful family is meeting their niche and filling it nicely. Don't you think most successful folks are the ones who think of others first and share? Sounds like the Doan's to me.

Sandy Navas
February 20th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Don't you think most successful folks are the ones who think of others first and share? Sounds like the Doan's to me.

Blondie, I am so fortunate to live close by and even more fortunate in meeting some of the family on my trip to the store. You really need to get a group of East-Coasters together, hire a tour bus and come this way. You walk in this store and are immediately taken care of as if you are a long-lost personal friend or the dearest of family members. I know quilters are friendly (every shop I've been in that is locally owned is wonderful) but there's something so very special and truly unique about this family. And WE are all part of it.

Come west for a visit!!!

sewmuchjan
February 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hello all my quilting buds, I made it though the night I go home at 12:30 am and it was a long night but we raised a good amount of money for a Moose member having a tough time. That is what the Moose Lodge and The Women of The Moose do.

Reading this and all the comments made have choking up and tears in my eyes. It is all true. I have a new bunch of friends and family, and you all and MSQC have given me the courage to do some thing that I would have never done. THANK YOU and that is from the heart. I have set up a new album for anything that you have helped me to do and inspired me to do.

I am so glad that I found you all and the Doans.
God Bless you all, love
Jan G

Blondie
February 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Sandy, if I ever get out that way, you KNOW you will be on my list to visit. I could get lost in your sewing studio alone.

JanG, what a wonderful project to work on. I'm glad that you found your way here as well.
I think it is by grand design. I really do.

roseytoes
February 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing! Continued success MSQC!

Connie Chamberlain
March 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Boy,i asked a good question.Where in MO are they?

Connie Chamberlain
March 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM
OK,i found them.Boy i was so close yet so far.

pdjewelrylady
March 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Great minds think alike Patrice! this is just what I was thinking.

PLUS all the fun and new quiltylady friends I have met on here! I LOVE hostessing the swaps with y'all - it gives me a reason and a purpose in my own little world in central florida, .... and would not be happening without msqc and the forums :) THANK YOU! :)

janluna
March 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
This family and the family I have from this site are so special to me. I don't get out much. I have a limited few people who I interact with. I have a group of 4 people that I see every week in my house on tues nights. They are my dear friends of many years. We have been meeting since the early 1990's because we all had knitting machines, and embroidery machines. And some of us have birds. They were a God send to me and I love them dearly. And now we are all quilting, and we meet every tues. night and once a month with 4 other people who again are like family to me. We have been through so much together.
The group of friends I have made on this site again, are like family. Sisters and 2 brothers. I can talk with them 24/7. They are from around the world! How wonderful is that? I can't travel long distances often, and am limited to the hours I can spend working on a quilt but they are here to urge me on with their love and compassion. With their creativity and kindness. With their humor and good advice. I am so blessed to have all of you. The song "When two people fell in Love" means something to me. When Jenny and Mr. Doan fell in love, they created a family that is very special. They not only fell in love with each other they have opened their hearts to include all of us. They are God's gift to all of us. And hopefully we can be a gift to them.
We make each other laugh and cry. We pray for each other when our hearts are heavy. We are there when family's lose a loved one, when one is sick, injured and hurt by the world around us. How lucky are we to have this special family? We all are so blessed by God with this love. So lucky to have each other. Guard this gift well. All this, when Mr. and Mrs. Doan fell in love and raised a loving family who gave us to each other. All that and Fabric too!!! lol. How wonderful is that?? Thank you kids for loving your Mom and Dad. And thank you Doans for the rest of our family.God bless you all and Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Hugs, Jan

bkthomas
September 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Look what I found when I did a search for "paid Tutorial" !!!!

Awesome, Thanks Sandy N.

buckeyequilter
September 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for posting this!!! What a wonderful article.

I decided to delete my facebook account and do something else with my time so I began looking on-line for a hobby that I thought I might like and found a tutorial by MSQC. This tutorial was the Christmas Tree Skirt and I thought OMG that looks so easy. So I ordered two charm packs and when they arrived I watched the tutorial again. Then I kept starting and stopping it so I could follow along. I still think I screwed up LOL....but it's going around my tree stand this year.

So thank you MSQC for all the wonderful tutorials and the new friends I have made through your forum.

NanaB
September 16th, 2012, 10:06 PM
wow that is awesome. You know ladies the more popular they become the earlier we better get to those daily deals! Congratulations. After two quilt shops closing here. I wish I had the guts to open one.

I'm with you, Patrice. I would love to have my own shop.

heavnli62
September 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I think this is just great. Funny tho...... I make something from Jenny's tutatorial and bring it to the local quilt shop to brag about my latest completed project. THEY ARE NOW HOOKED.......lol
I love MSQ and bam so grateful to all those that I have met on this wonderful site. Thanks MSQ.......

Musical_Starling
September 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
MSQC are like "the little store that could" :) The customer service is outstanding, and that's what keeps people coming back. Couple that with the amazing online presence, and you've (obviously) got yourself a winner! Great job Doans, you should be very proud of what you've accomplished in such a small amount of time!

Jess1377
September 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for sharing the article!!

lilmouse
September 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for sharing the article...loved it!

New York Sue
September 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks for sharing, Sandy.
Their business model is maybe accidental, but BRILLIANT.
This is why the Doan Family (MSQC) was honored by President Obama for their entrepreneurial business plan! The GREEDY got us into this mess, and the honest working class folks may just get us out...
$2,000 in start-up money and we have THIS?
Get Out! Shut Up!
'Slow and Steady' may just win this race,
I don't mean to be political or anything, lol.... ;)

auntiemern
September 17th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Thank you so much Sandy for sharing this article. Like Blondie, I too believe it was by 'grand design'. I had not had a quilting needle in my hand for almost 3 years, since my little Bubby was injured. After my mom passed a year ago, I felt myself being drawn back to quilting. I ignored it for several months. Then a dear friend told me she was gonna be a great granny. Ok, I can make a quilt. I have known her GD since she was born. After I found out what she was having, and what 'theme' they were going with, I started looking for fabric. Nothing in my stash, that had not been touched in 2 1/2 yrs, was appropriate. I found the fabric, but couldn't decide on a pattern. I never watched tutorials before, but decided I would have a look. I ended up watching several of Jenny's tuts. I just could not stop watching. Decided on the D9P, and started working on it. Then one day, for no particular reason, other than she was also from Missouri, I looked up the shop. There I found the link to the forum. I wanted to have a look at what that was all about. Had never joined a forum of any kind either. I lurked for a while, then wanted to respond to a comment, but had to join, which I did. I had already decided that I was going to make quilts to give to Cardinal Glennon, because I wanted to give something back to the wonderful hospital that had taken care of, and loved my grandson, so many times. All I did was put a post on about my goal to make 20 quilts to donate to Cardinal Glennon. That is when my life changed. Jean, also from St. Louis, said she wanted to help me. WOW!!! I don't even know this woman, and she is offering to make quilts for the hospital too. I then received other messages from other members that wanted to send me a quilt for the hospital. I was blown away, by the love and generosity that I saw on a daily basis, on this wonderful site. I was hooked. I can now, proudly say, that I love the members of this forum, and cannot imagine not having all of you in my life. I consider some of the women here, dear friends, that I could not live without. This wonderful place, has blessed me in ways that I cannot possibly put into words. All of this because, I was lead, by God, to this amazing place. God Bless the Doan's for having a vision, and a plan. What they have done for all of us here, is miraculous to say the least. I love all of you, and thank God every day, for leading me here.

rebeccas-sewing
September 17th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks, Sandy! I really enjoyed reading the article.

wendyw1
September 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks Sandy for posting this, I love MSQ

Bubby
September 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for posting this about M*...I'm glad they're getting good publicity from every corner! I love it when good people who do the right thing are rewared for their efforts. Barb

CrazyMtnLady
September 17th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wonderful article Sandy.
This place is my "happy place". Living out here in the boonies with no one to talk to except the cats, dogs, horse and mule. Oh and the DH when I can get his attention, it sure gets a bit lonely at times. I know I can always jump in here and feel like I have come home to a big warm hug and a hot cup of coffee and wonderful conversation.
From Blondie's "Good Morning" thread, to Sandy's witty responses and Miss Daisy's Divine-ness this place is a Godsend!
The Doan family deserves all the success they can get. It is a wonderful thing they have done creating this forum and such a wonderful business.

GrammaBabs
September 17th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ditto to all the love of M*... i'm guessing that the Doan's use this forum for inspiration when they need a little boost...It's all about love of family and their fellow man.... This couldn't happen to nicer people... and bless you all for helping to support such a positive place... DD was brilliant,,, they started small and have kept it personal as they grow.....Next stop 60 minutes.... i tried to send a note to them and as usual got "botched up" and it never went thru... maybe Sandy can find a way to squeek thru????? :)
They will be there soon i'm sure... having been chosen by the White House... THIS is the story to support "the small business man"... they need all the help they can get...Babs

mommadeb
September 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for posting Sandy! What a great story.

bkthomas
September 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Look what I found when I did a search for "paid Tutorial" !!!!

Awesome, Thanks Sandy N.

Love reading these older posts from before I found this site - can't even remember how I found MSQC!

janluna
September 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
So neat to read the old posts and the new. To see where the Doan family started and for what they have accomplished in a short time. Thanks Sandy, for the reminder! God Bless The Doans! And God Bless all the people on this forum! Hugs, Jan L.

candy
September 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Wonderful story. Thanks for posting it.

alliek
September 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Wonderful, interesting article. Thanks for posting it Sandy. The Doan family worked together with a wonderful loving purpose behind their energies and it payed off. Thanks for sharing

Monique
September 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks Sandy for the post. I am just a loss for words right now, all choked up!