PDA

View Full Version : From the mouth of:

Sandy Navas
June 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Rita has her first communion today. She has been so very, very excited. Yesterday was a rehearsal and she was totally exhausted when she came home. Part of the rehearsal was letting her taste a communion wafer. When she got home she crawled up on my lap to review the day's activities and she told me: "Nana, that bread they gave us tasted like . . . well, nothing."

I'm still chuckling.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
I remember my First Communion day, that's exactly what I thought it tasted like. Before I tasted it for the first time, I thought it would taste like candy! Congratulations to little Rita. My Maddie and Aidan made their First Communions this spring, both on the same day and 400 miles apart! Grandma needed to bi-locate.

CountryHut
June 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Just Love the little things that comes out of youngin's innocent thoughts . .

I remember my 1st Holy Communion as well . . remember my daughter/son's as well . . . I still have my daughter's Communion dress -- almost 30 years old . . .
just wish they had followed family traditions :|
Thank goodness I have an xDIL that does - I think thats why her and I get along so well :)

bakermom
June 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Congratulations to Rita! What an important milestone in her life!

SandyWhite
June 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
I remember my First Communion too. My two best friends and I had the measles right before but we made it. I still have my wee dress. What a so oh so truthful observations from Rita.

Evilynn
June 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
I never had my communion because I was not raised with a religion :) As a child I was very jealous of all those kids getting their parties and everyone gave them presents but now as an adult I think it's okay :)

But yes, from what I know ( ;) ) it tastes like nothing!

ilive2craft2
June 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Congratulations to Rita (& Nana)! That is such a major milestone. Will she be wearing a white dress with a veil? That is what we wore in my day. Grew up Catholic and am now Lutheran. When our son had his first communion, it was part of confirmation and no white dresses and veils.

Wow have we come a long way where the kids get to taste it ahead of time. We did not in my day and as I recall there were several faces made. I think we all thought it would be really tasty, so were so surprised that it was rather blah. Lisa

toggpine
June 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
We actually had bread that one of the church ladies baked. That was before GMOs & gluten allergies were so rampant though. We didn't have white dresses, etc., but we all wore the white acolyte robes.

You are right Rita! They are not very tasty and stick weirdly to the roof of your mouth.

K. McEuen
June 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ah, Cathy must have had wafers made at the same company that made the ones I had. My only thought was how to get the thing off the roof on my mouth. I almost gagged on the wine, which I was hoping would wash it off. No, I discreetly stuck my finger in my mouth back at my seat and scraped it off. I asked my mom if the church got wine in a 55 gallon drum because nothing that nasty tasting could have been sold in bottles. Raised Lutheran, had many of the same traditions and ceremonies as the Catholic church, just not as much kneeling.

Bubby
June 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Congratulations to Rita! I'm not Catholic, but I know it's a significant milestone in the Catholic faith.

Sew Perfect
June 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Haha! That's so cute! I would be chuckling too! Congrats to your Rita.

bhaggerty
June 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
I am a cradle Catholic and remember my First Communion too! I though it tasted like cardboard! I still have my dress that my mom made for me but it didn't fit my daughter - she is too tall! So my mom made her a new dress and it is lovely! 48679486804868148682 48683

My daughter sketched it, my mom made it and also made a smaller identical version for her American Girl doll! I wish I had her talents!! Oh, she also made the veil and did her hair!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
I am a cradle Catholic and remember my First Communion too! I though it tasted like cardboard! I still have my dress that my mom made for me but it didn't fit my daughter - she is too tall! So my mom made her a new dress and it is lovely! 48679486804868148682 48683

My daughter sketched it, my mom made it and also made a smaller identical version for her American Girl doll! I wish I had her talents!! Oh, she also made the veil and did her hair!
She looks so beautiful on her special day. And so does her doll! Where did she find the fabric with the crosses? It is exquisite!

auntiemern
June 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
So true. Out of the mouths of babes. They only know how to speak the truth at that age. Congrats to Rita and Grandma, on such a special occasion. I know what an important day this is for young Catholics and their families. Baptist here, but I do have catholic relatives.

MayinJerset
June 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
I am pretty much a lapsed Catholic but I do remember my First Holy Communion and the wafer stuck to the roof of my mouth also. Girls wore white dresses and shoes, had a big white bow on their heads surrounded by a fresh fern wreath. White dress again for Confirmation but with a big red bow and again a fresh fern wreath.

Very small boys wore a white suit with short pants for Communion. Otherwise all the boys wore a dark blue suit, white bow on their sleeve for Communion, red bow for Cofirmation. I still have the little prayer card Sister gave me because I was the first one in our class to memorize the Our Father.

Wow that is some dress your Mom made.

Sandy Navas
June 2nd, 2013, 10:47 PM
Here's our Rita. Can you tell she's ornery?
http://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=a3f488b8fd&view=att&th=13f07b2c11b91693&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hhgzstgl0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8t7YeJzOvT07aT-5YgKmcr&sadet=1370224013663&sads=23FOZjxmr1ZjPxPwVaImJGoV5BU

toggpine
June 2nd, 2013, 11:13 PM
I'm glad to know that the wafers are icky no mater what religion serves them.
Apparently our Lutheran church has a better wine selection than others. Hmmm. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the pastor seems to drain the common cup at the end of the communion service???

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Oh, icky, the common cup! Haha, our church had the cutest little wine glasses, looked like glass thimbles to me. We each got our own, no shared germs. Drank it and set it in the little tray on the railing. I always wanted to take one with me, but never did. If I would have asked the pastor for one he probably would have given it to me.

I also remembered going to a church that my friends went to, no particular faith and they did their communion with soda crackers and grape juice. I told their pastor that was way better than the cardboard wafers and icky wine my church served.

auntiemern
June 3rd, 2013, 01:28 AM
As a Baptist we used grape juice too. No alcohol for us :( No common cup either. Individual little glasses. I was always just a little envious of Catholic friends. They could do what they wanted as long as they went to confession.
We had to worry about the wrath of God if we did something wrong, before you had a chance to pray for forgiveness.
It has always amazed me that the bible is interpreted so differently from one Christian religion to the next.

bhaggerty
June 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
She looks so beautiful on her special day. And so does her doll! Where did she find the fabric with the crosses? It is exquisite!

Believe it or not, we found it at JoAnn's over a year ago and we bought all that was left - it was exactly the amount we needed, no more, no less!

bhaggerty
June 3rd, 2013, 01:38 AM
Here's our Rita. Can you tell she's ornery?
http://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=a3f488b8fd&view=att&th=13f07b2c11b91693&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hhgzstgl0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8t7YeJzOvT07aT-5YgKmcr&sadet=1370224013663&sads=23FOZjxmr1ZjPxPwVaImJGoV5BU

Cannot see the picture. can you post it again?? would love to see her!!

toggpine
June 3rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
When I was young the church we went to had the individual glass portions and the common cup. Our church now offers the plastic glasses with the wine or the grape juice, or the common cup. They wipe the rim, and I think the cloth has some sort of disinfectant on it.

That dress is beautiful. I can't see Rita's pic either. I figured it was just me, as I can't see any of the images on the quilt shop site either.

Andrea F
June 3rd, 2013, 03:11 AM
Congrats to Rita! I canīt really remember my first communion. All I can recall is that I didnīt like my dress and a few other unpleasant things. When my sons had their first communion, the church we were going to had frocks of jute for every kid, that they wore during the whole church service. None of the kids should have felt bad because they couldnīt afford a nice and expensive dress.

Sandy Navas
June 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM

Hope this one shows up for you.

toggpine
June 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
That is adorable! You can see the twinkle in her eye for sure!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
How sweet she looks! Just hope the grace of God takes over her little onrey soul! I was so praying my Maddie would change with the grace of God, she just got baptised last year at age 6. Yep, it worked! She is mostly tolerable these days! Actually, she is a very sweet considerate little person, except when provoked by her older brother.

Congratulations again to Rita! Love her dress and sweater and beautiful veil!

bakermom
June 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
What a sweetie!
Again, congratulations to Rita an her special day.

Lindagie
June 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
The pictures of the girls are so adorable. My grandson made his first communion last month; the girls all had their white dresses, and veils; but the boys were dressed from very casual pants/shirt and tie to suits. I thought it was funny watching the kids trying to get the wafer off the roof of their mouths. We didn't have the option of drinking wine when I made mine a century ago., but I'm not fond of the common cup thing anyway. I remember my boys and their friends talking about trying out that altar wine when they were servers. Not sure if they were joking or not.