PDA

View Full Version : In the eye of the storm

Jean Sewing Machine
May 31st, 2013, 10:19 PM
Al the cat and I are in the lowest part of the house, ready to hunker down under the steps in case the tornado hits here. It is on the ground, and either I go to Oz or it misses us. i'll check back later to update you on the progress of the storm, hopefully I'll not lose electricity.

Oklahoma City got hit again. Those poor people.

Miss Sheri
May 31st, 2013, 10:22 PM
I'm praying for you dear! Be safe.

New York Sue
May 31st, 2013, 10:26 PM
JAYZEE, Jean!
HUNKER down!! I really don't know how you guys deal with this...

RachelMichelle
May 31st, 2013, 10:28 PM
I hate these storms, they have been going through our area also. I went to my boyfriends parents house because they have a basement in case we need to take shelter, stay safe Jean!

MRoy
May 31st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Stay safe Jean! I'm watching the weather channel and saying prayers for safety for all our Midwest friends.

ilive2craft2
May 31st, 2013, 10:39 PM
Stay safe Jean! Praying for all of our forum members that are in the path of these storms. Those poor people in Oklahoma!

Sew Perfect
May 31st, 2013, 10:43 PM
We're praying for you! Don't be afraid...it will be okay.

Judy~Ann
May 31st, 2013, 10:44 PM
Thinking of you Jean and praying for your safety

pcbatiks
May 31st, 2013, 10:44 PM
Praying for you Jean!

asta
May 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hang on tight, pryers for you and all those in the path.
Beth

Jean Sewing Machine
May 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM
I think this part of the storm has passed us with no damage right here, but other areas did get hit, news will be coming later to see what has happened as far as damages.

mom4him
May 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Just came back to my computer and saw your post. So thankful you are safe, Jean.

Mpyles
May 31st, 2013, 11:00 PM
glad to hear you are okay! i have been watching the weather, as the oklahoma storms are headed this way..praying for all of us in the path of the storms tonight....i have to be at work at 4am, dont know when i will get to sleep...cant go to bed with them lurking west of us...stay safe!!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 31st, 2013, 11:23 PM
glad to hear you are okay! i have been watching the weather, as the oklahoma storms are headed this way..praying for all of us in the path of the storms tonight....i have to be at work at 4am, dont know when i will get to sleep...cant go to bed with them lurking west of us...stay safe!!
Mary, you are in the eye of it coming up from Oklahoma. Stay safe!

Grandma G
May 31st, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hope all is okay. I don't know how all you who live in tornado areas do it! I would be a basket case every time the sun went behind a cloud. True, we have hurricanes here but at least we have lots of warning and can practically move a whole house in the time we have to take cover. I pray for all of you in harm's way. Stay safe.

Mpyles
June 1st, 2013, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=Grandma G;323840] I don't know how all you who live in tornado areas do it! I would be a basket case every time the sun went behind a cloud. QUOTE]

lol, well not when it goes behind a cloud but when it does get stormy i get freaky! We had a january tornado about 5 years ago that went within a 1/2 mile of our house. we heard the train and felt the pressure. i dont wanna do it again. the poor people of oklahoma

CrazyMtnLady
June 1st, 2013, 12:46 AM
Jean, have been thinking of you and Marilyn in the path of the storms. I have been praying hard all evening.
I can hear thunder but no rain here yet. The severe weather has gone north of us. It is following I44 as usual. We are in for some major rain and have a flash flood warning out for this area.

Stay safe.

janluna
June 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
Praying for everyone in danger tonight! There is no way I'd live there without a storm cellar. They just said on the news that Moore got hit again in the opposite direction leaving an x in the middle of town. God Bless those poor people. I'm working on quilts all day tomorrow, trying to get them finished. I have two jelly roll quilt tops done. I'll have to go get batting tomorrow to finish them. I know it's not much, but they will at least cuddle up a child.
Has anyone heard from Sandy? I was surprised that MSQC was still online. I know they said on the news that, St Louis got hit. And they also said that Illinois is in the path. I hope Paula is ok. I hope EVERYONE is ok. Praying!!!!!!! Love you, Jan L.

phoots
June 1st, 2013, 12:53 AM
Ladies, I understand what it's like to be in the path of a tornado. I lived in Alabama for 11 yrs, but I never had one get too close. Two years ago, the city I lived in was hit really bad by a huge tornado. Of the 3 homes I lived in, one was destroyed, one didn't get hit, and the other I'm not sure about. But I'm glad that you ladies in the path of these recent storms are doing okay. My prayers are going out to the people who were hit earlier in OK and then again tonight's storms! You're all in my thoughts!

Pam in Vegas

janluna
June 1st, 2013, 12:53 AM
​Donna, saying Prayers for you too!

Slokarma
June 1st, 2013, 12:57 AM
Wow, I hope everyone is ok. Please keep us updated.

bubba
June 1st, 2013, 01:23 AM
I remember as a child, I think I may have been 12 or 13, seeing a tornado across the prairie. We spent our summers in southeast South Dakota (Madison/Souix Falls) growing up and the sirens would occasionally go off. But that night we were out somewhere and saw that was just terrifying for me. It is something I'll never forget. I can remember wanting to get out of there right then!!! I was told it was a good ten miles away, but that thing looked ginourmous!!!

I hope you all are safe and well and make it thru the long night. You've had a rough time of it.

auntiemern
June 1st, 2013, 02:39 AM
Glad to hear you are alright. I have been worried sick over you all night. I kept electricity, but internet and satellite were out. Everything hit north and east of me. Just missed my cousin. We are just having heavy rain, thunder and lightening. Will have those effected in my prayers. Those poor folks in OK. We need to pray for an end to this awful weather pattern we are in.

turena65
June 1st, 2013, 03:08 AM
Be safe Jean! Take care of yourself and your kitty.... Prayers for you as well as though poor people in Oklahoma City....

Cathy F
June 1st, 2013, 04:27 AM
Jean, hoping you are safe and the weather passes by you without any damage.

rebeccas-sewing
June 1st, 2013, 06:38 AM
Glad you're safe, Jean. Sounds like Mother Nature is on the warpath again!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
As daylight breaks, I think we will learn of the real extent of damage. There was a tornado or straightline winds ( TBD later) that did lots of damage, but not like Moore, OK where there was total devastation. One of my friends had their big oak tree fall on their house roof, and the all night rain poured in. She kept hearing noises as more and more of the house was falling. They couldn't get out because their garage and street are blocked by fallen trees and they are older and walking out is not an option. I'm so scared for them. Thanks for your prayers. That's life in the midwest.

Andrea F
June 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Glad you are safe and hope, your friends will be as well and it will be cared for them. I canīt even imagine how you all deal with this storms. Iīve been in NYC in 2011 when there was the storm that caused them to shut the subways down for the very first time and it was not that bad as we were in midtown manhattan, but it wasnīt fun either. The storms in your area must be so much more severe.

Evilynn
June 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Please stay safe!

Sandy Navas
June 1st, 2013, 11:11 AM
It has been very, very quiet here. Sun out, no rain, no winds, nothing to be alarmed about (except kid noises).

Al, on the other hand, drove to Jefferson City yesterday afternoon and said he was in the rain most of the way. He called this morning and said the storm was horrendous over night - I know he had said earlier that the hotel was undergoing some major renovations and his room happened to be right over the majority of the work. Sure hope there was no damage there.

Horrible about the damage again in Oklahoma. I cannot imagine the destruction - it makes my heart bleed. More loss of lives last night. Also caught a glimpse of a newscast where there was some damage in St. Louis, too. I pray for the safety of everyone!!

MRoy
June 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sandy, it's good to hear you're okay and I hope Al makes it home safely!

Lissau
June 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM
(((((((jean)))) ..... Please sty safe

nana margaret
June 1st, 2013, 12:06 PM
Have been out most of the day so am just catching up with the news, poor Oklahoma again in as many weeks. My thoughts are with those in affected areas, hoping it passes quickly without further loss of life.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
Whew, I dodged a big bullet by less than a mile. Many businesses near the interstate, which is one mile from my house were heavily damaged. A company that sells RVs had a significant damage to their inventory by flying 2x4s that pierced the walls and roofs of the RVs. Signage was blown away just down my road. Here, it was a heavy rain storm, that's all! Whew, I feel blessed!

bakermom
June 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear you are safe !

Lindagie
June 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
You guys lucked out over there with all the damage surrounding you. My town didn't fare so well. Over 50 homes with damage and our HS gym was damaged, along with several buildings on campus. It is a mess, but luckily no injuries reported; that is a blessing!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
You guys lucked out over there with all the damage surrounding you. My town didn't fare so well. Over 50 homes with damage and our HS gym was damaged, along with several buildings on campus. It is a mess, but luckily no injuries reported; that is a blessing!
Are you from Gillespie? I heard about the HS gym damage. Your town has suffered a lot of damage from various sources in the past. So sorry to hear this.

Carolyn23
June 1st, 2013, 04:02 PM
Good news, Jean! I was glued to the TV last night (Fox News and Weather Channel). What a terrifying night for those poor Oklahomans. Although we've had to take cover in the Chicago area in years past (tornado warnings) we've never had any tornados touch down in the NW suburbs.

Lindagie
June 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Yah we had a tornado about 4 years ago that damaged the HS/MS/baseball fields. Several homes had damage; not as bad as this one. The elementary school in Benld had mine subsidence damage several years ago and had to be closed; it was only about 7 years old at the time; the new school is about 1/4 mile from the HS and is about finished. Hope there was no damage there.
Two weeks ago a neighboring town had damage from a tornado down their main street. I think that is about enough. Still nowhere near what the poor people in Oklahoma have suffered. Saying prayers for all of them.

Annielourn
June 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hi Jean,

Was thinking about all of you in Oklahoma and Missouri last night. Always think of Jenny Doan and her family when those awful storms come through in Missouri. I pray that you all will be safe in those perilous times.

Anne
Colorado Springs, CO

Tanya D
June 1st, 2013, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound.

Genny
June 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM
I think this part of the storm has passed us with no damage right here, but other areas did get hit, news will be coming later to see what has happened as far as damages.

Jean I'm so glad you're safe! I hope the rest of our friends are too. I watched the TV all night on channel 50 and it was constant weather and I just couldn't take my eyes off it.

janluna
June 1st, 2013, 10:02 PM
Good to hear people were missed by the worst. Praying for those who haven't been heard from and the people in OK. We're under watch for severe weather now. It's north of us right now, but tomorrow they said Western NY will get hit hard. Later on the lower part of NY and then on to NYC. It's our turn but I am sure it won't be even one iota of what OK. and MO. got. Prayers going out to those poor people. Working on quilts to be sent down to OK. or MO. Wherever they are needed.
I did finish my Bow Tuck Purse! Yay! It went together like butter. Didn't have any trouble with it until I went to add a covered button. The very last thing to finish it up. Never had so much trouble making and sewing on a stupid shank button! I finally, after 2 hours, gave up on it. Went and found another large button, glued fabric on it, sewed the fabric on the back, and then sewed that to the purse. It will probably fall apart. LOL No more shank buttons for me! I know that is the least of concerns, but I hope someone got a smile out of my ornery button! I was so elated with the job I did just to be thwarted by a picking button! lol.
Love you all. Prayers are on going for all the people affected by this horrible bunch of tornados and severe thunder storms. We are asking for protection for those under the watches and warnings, and praying for the people who are grieving for loved ones lost last week and last night.
And for those who are just too stunned to even think about what is next for them. To rebuild or not, to being overwhelmed with the loss of house, home, and and where to look for pets, pictures, and mementos of their life. God be with them all. Hugs, Jan L.

kathyd61
June 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
Just across the river from you Jean we had wind and rain. Spent a good part of the evening in the bathroom as we have no basement...boy do I miss it at times like these. When the power went out and all was quiet we could hear the tornado sirens going off in the town 8 miles north.
About 15 years ago we had straight-line wind damage at our home. My daughters laughed at me when we made them get to the bathroom and I wasn't content till I could tough each of them!
Saw where Gillespie had HS damage. I'm sure lots of memories were made in all the buildings that were damaged. Just glad that there wasn't significant loss of life in these storms.
Looking forward to a couple of quiet days till the next round comes through. Hopefully they will just be rain and not devestation.

auntiemern
June 1st, 2013, 11:53 PM
NWS has confirmed 3 tornado's in and around the St. Louis area. From EF3 - EF2. Extensive damage in several areas. Thank God no lives were lost. Have those in affected here, IL and OK. in my prayers.

MayinJerset
June 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Glad our pals are OK and prayers for all those affected by the latest tornado's. Hey, Mother Nature, enough already!

auntiemern
June 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM
EF3 affected a 22 mile area of the north end of St. Louis County, and the county just across the MO River bridge, in St. Charles county. EF2 hit in Il. So thankful that no lives were lost here, but 9 more casualties in OK, 3 of which were storm chasers. Keeping all in my prayers.