PDA

View Full Version : Just a few garden pics....

WendyI
May 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I just read a couple of very sad threads so I thought I'd post some pretty pics to try and cheer you up! Only a few so far as the other garden beds are NOT ready to be shared yet. If this darn rain would let up I might be able to get things tidied up but it just won't seem to let up!

Anyway...hope you enjoy them! :D

This is the deck DH and I put in at the side of our house. We have what's called "zero" property lines here so I own all of this side and my neighbor owns all of the other side. So the deck and plants are all mine even tho they touch his house.

and here's a few close-ups of my lily of the valley in amongst the hostas...two of my fav plants!

48527 and more 48532

This is a GIANT blue hosta who's name constantly escapes me

And these are a few of my tree peonies. Sadly I almost missed their blooms this year! They are hidden behind an absolute monstrous BEAST of a wisteria so I only happened to see them by chance today. They're almost done blooming so these are not the greatest pics but I adore their blossoms...they're huge! The blooms don't last as long as regular peonies but they're not floppy either. Will try and get some pics of the other beds that are done tomorrow.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 30th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Love hostas, they grow so big without much attention, my kind of plant!

Cathy F
May 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Love your gardens, and your peonies are gorgeous!.

ilive2craft2
May 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Wendi, love your hostas! Been raining too much here to get much done in the yard, but just keep plugging away at it anytime it dries out a bit. Supposed to storm again tonight.

In the last couple of weeks, we have planted a japanese maple tree with some hostas around it, a purple clematis, and a butterfly bush. The butterfly bush is called fourth of july and is supposed to have red, white and blue/purple blooms. I sure hope it is happy where we planted it. Also been trying to keep the weeds at bay...can I just say I hate pea vine? LOL

Thanks for the pics of your garden. Lisa

bubba
May 30th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I love love love hostas!!! Plant them and forget them!

Your walkway looks nice.

New York Sue
May 30th, 2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.hostasdirect.com/buy-plants/hostas-for-sale?p=1&utm_campaign=Hostas%2B-%2BWS&utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=
I never realized HOW many varieties were available, until a few years ago. I received a catolog and my head was spinning! Great thing is, SO easy to share.
I LOVE hostas! What beautiful pics you have, Wendy. I have this shady side of my home that was a problem, until I just accepted what thrived there. Ferns and hostas! I'd take a pic but it's dark out....

WendyI
May 30th, 2013, 10:50 PM
NYS!! You are EVIL for posting that link!! Hostas are my very favorite garden plant. They keep weeds at bay, some thrive in sun but even when they don't they're awesome.

thanks for all the lovely compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed them! :D

auntiemern
May 31st, 2013, 12:40 AM
Love me some hosta's. Set em and forget em. Yet they are so stunning.

bkthomas
May 31st, 2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the beautiful pics - I kept looking for your wisteria in bloom (hint hint) but these pics are very very pretty - Thanks for sharing!

Granny Judy
May 31st, 2013, 01:40 AM

Some extra Peonies to go with your hostas... Unfortunately the blooms are short lived, but those hosta's just get better thro out the Summer.. Got me a few in our raised beds!!

Mchelem
May 31st, 2013, 01:46 AM
I've had my wisteria vine for 6 years and it still hasn't bloomed. My jasmine is everywhere, but sadly no wisteria yet...

Renate
May 31st, 2013, 04:12 AM
Wendy, your pictures light this rainy day. Your garden is a real treasur

Poppytree
May 31st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Gorgeous plants and photos - I still can't get used to all the best flowers making a show in Winter and going dormant in high summer here in Australia. My hibiscus (native and Chinese), lemon tree and oleanders are looking great and the roses are having a last flush.

We've had nearly 2" of rain today (the wettest day since last July) and it is expected to go on for another 24 hours!

MayinJerset
May 31st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks Wendy for some beautiful flowers and plants to brighten up the day. Hope the rain stops so you can get your garden in shape for summer. I also like hostas, come back year after year and don't need any care to make a good showing.

Bubby
May 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Your garden is beautiful. We grow hostas on the north side of our house. Peonies are some of my favorite flowers. Too bad they are with us such a short time every year. The color of yours is gorgeous!

Shirley
May 31st, 2013, 09:32 AM
Your pictures are gorgeous!!

Tanya D
May 31st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Wendy, your garden is beautiful!

CrazyMtnLady
May 31st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Beautiful. I am jealous...I can grow rocks.

Hulamoon
May 31st, 2013, 12:06 PM
Beautiful Wendy! I love variegated plants. Most of my plants are in containers. Even though I'm on two acres. lol I'm still battling the darn yard guy. he said he was coming at the beginning of the week and still a no show. I feel I'm stuck at home so when he shows up I can make him sign this contract.

Sorry for the rant. Back to the pretty flowers :)

Sandy Navas
May 31st, 2013, 12:10 PM
Your plants are so beautiful. Can't believe that Canadian peonies are almost gone when some of mine are just now starting to open. This is the first year that I can remember that they didn't open way before Memorial Day. Oh, and do dig me some hostas. What a fantastic plant.

WendyI
May 31st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the beautiful pics - I kept looking for your wisteria in bloom (hint hint) but these pics are very very pretty - Thanks for sharing!

I actually got blooms on my wisteria for the FIRST time this year...the plant is five years old. Unfortunately, there is SO much foiliage that I can't see the blooms! There is one on campus that is in full bloom though...if I can get out of here today I will see if I can get a pic of it! It's amazing!

The TRICK to getting them to bloom I have learned is prune, prune, prune and THEN PRUNE MORE!

I hacked mine back a LOT last year and it responded with a few blooms. When I look at the one on campus it's loaded with blooms but almost zero foliage. So as soon as it's done blooming this year she's gettin a wicked haircut!!

WendyI
May 31st, 2013, 02:44 PM
And thanks for all the lovely compliments! There is no more rain today so might be able to get a few more pics today of the other gardens. Sadly my lilacs are done and so is my flowering cherry...don't know why I didn't get pics! This is the first year for blooms on my lilacs also. Everything seems to be very happy this year!