PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Again

Blondie
May 30th, 2013, 07:17 AM
It's Thursday again?
How did that happen? I know, I know . . . time flies when you are having fun! And that is exactly the kind of work hubby and I have been doing this week.

Since I have a few very full days at work, I doubt that I will feel much like working in the yard when I get home. More than likely I will want to put my feet up! Not all the daylilies and bi color liriope have been separated. They were quite compacted together when we dug them up. Cat's neck and shoulder are still flaring up, so we work a bit in our yard and then head on up the hill to help with hers. We initially figured soaking the clumps in tubs of water would help to separate them; nope. No way. So, we are hacking them apart. Kinda fun if you make a game of it.

The plans to get my hubs out in the woods with me will not be happening soon. As you may remember, he does not like snakes at all. We have killed one this week and ran three more off. Two in one day (yesterday). Some years just seem more snakey than others. Yesterday there was a black one - Barb, looked just like the one you posted the other day - same size and all - running along the house. We tried to direct it out to the woods and it almost got in the basement. I really need one of those hooks! I finally got it on a rake and dropped it down the holler. Then a lovely lime green garden snake was near our compost pile. So, that being all said, I know without asking that the big fella will not be tripping through the woods with me. Wah, wah, wah. I will perhaps get my new SIL to head out there with me.

We have been sleeping - staying in the bed a little later than usual the past few days. Sorry to be arriving so late.
Have a wonderful day, folksies! It's summer time = at least here in NC - and the weather has been perfect. In a few days it will be June and then we will really know it's summer time. Long hot days and nights. Thank the good Lord for A/C.

Blessings, prayers and happy thoughts for all. You know that I have a smile on my face and a cup of coffee in my hand.

Monique
May 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Good morning Blondie. I hate snakes and I would need gum rubbers to walk with you. Can't say I blame LL. Jersey and I just came in from our walk. The bugs are so bad. Yesterday Jersey got her nails clipped and she has an appointment next week for a grooming. Yeah, I guess I am getting soft, at least where Jersey is concerned. We were just about home when she spied a cat. Not a good combination. She wanted to eat that cat, I had the full of my ar**se holding her back.

Ok so early this morning, around 1:30 we had another earthquake, or another aftershock. Scared the bejesus out of me. You could hear the rumbling going off in the distance.

I managed to finish sewing the binding on the place mats I made for a friend of mine. It is a bridal shower gift for her niece, she picked out the fabric and they turned out really nice. I will take pictures. I need to sandwich the table runner I have made for our Minister, who is leaving in July. She is the best minister we have ever had. A truly lovely person. A parting gift from me.

On that note, I guess I need a shower. Have a wonderful day friends.

aliaslaceygreen
May 30th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Morning! Yeah, DH wouldn't be joining your DH out in the woods either if he knew there were snakes!!!
Gotta run, early work today... but I DID get a top finished, another top sandwiched...that will be hand quilted. Planted the salvia and raked and trimmed up the rose bush...but then, I retreated to the AC myself!

Next is truly going to be the two quilts I NEED to work on...

Have a great day!

MRoy
May 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Good morning and I hope it turns out to be a good day. My car battery died last when I got home, it seemed fine and then nothing-no power at all. I hope all that's needed is a new battery. I'll be trucking to work today.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Morning all! Nice day here, at least for a while. Those nasty summer storms that brew up overnight from Nebraska and Kansas are headed our way. So, it won't be nice for long!

One more day of work for this week. Wednesdays are always hard on me, for some reason! I come home way tired! Yesterday was no exception. Hopefully, today will be better. We tried on a dress that a girl tried on last week, and the zipper broke as we tried to zip it up. I replaced the zipper, and guess what happened? Yep, the zipper broke a second time! She's a tiny thing, but something about her ribcage makes the dress very tight in that area, she had to be cut out of the dress twice! Third time is charm, hopefully we can get it to work for her.

We had a visit last night from DD and SIL and their two big dogs. They are moving and have listed their home for sale, and this was their first visit by a potential buyer. The dogs were kept outside, but my Al the Cat, sat inside right inside the patio door, taunting them the whole time. We figured it would be better that glass separated the fur people, who knows who would be the worse for a closer encounter?

Hope you all have a great day!

Andrea F
May 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Good Morning ladies, or good afternoon (right now, it is 1:30 pm here). In my area, it is a holiday today, so I can join to wish you a nice day today. When I read about your adventures with snakes and being threatened by earthquakes I am quite happy to live here in the middle of Germany without all of those. Both would scare me a lot! I will have a nice day today because one of my sisters is coming over with her family for a coffee since we havenīt seen each other for a few weeks due to her absence for a few weeks directly followed by our vacation. And probably I will get some sewing done in the evening. I started a bright tumbler quilt for my nephew the other day. You all stay safe and have a nice thursday!

Bubby
May 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Blondie, our 'snake hook' is just a paint roller on an extension pole! We use what we have handy when these slithering things move in on us. I had one in a shovel once and wanted to toss it over the fence into the pasture and I tossed a little too hard and it flew back at me and just missed my face. It seems to be a snakey year here, too.

I got bad news at the dentist yesterday. I need extensive bridge replacement, two root canals and three implants. Guess who will be on a fabric diet the rest of her life! I also dread the work, which will start next month. In the meantime I need to have a consultation with an oral surgeon. I sure wish we had dental insurance, but we don't. I'm not a candidate for dentures. My teeth look perfectly healthy, but they are not.

I'm waiting for Miss Reggie to call me with the new that my quilts are ready to be picked up. In the meantime, I keep painting on our old house. Today I have to meet a new tenant in Cuba at 10. We plan to pain ceilings there Saturday.

I'm so relieved Lisa was heard from yesterday. She has it rough, but hopefully she is on the mend.

I have to get ready to head for Cuba. They were predicting bad storms with possible tornado activity for us today, but it seems to have backed off. We are going to our old place to mow this afternoon.

Wishing everyone a great Thursday....Hugs, Barb

Bailey65
May 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Morning Ladies!

The talk of snakes......yuck! I love gardening until I spot my first snake. Here in Maine none of them are poisonous but I HATE snakes!! I totally understand your DH not going into the woods :P

shermur
May 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Morning, Blondie and to all my cyber quilting friends....Whew, yes this week has gone fast! But, I can't wait for the weekend to hopefully get more work on quilt projects and the house (I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather quilt than clean!). LOL
This whole next month will be schedule challenging. There's comp softball tourneys every weekend. In fact, the weekend of June 7, 8 and 9...Wow, there is a tourney, a baby shower and my 30th (ugh) class reunion. I have decided that I would rather attend the baby shower or attend the softball tournament...why? Because had any of my "old" classmates had kept in touch over the past 30 years, I would make the attempt to want to see them again. That is not the case...and they usually do something lame for the reunion.

CrazyMtnLady
May 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful morning here, the sun is shining, although I do believe they are calling for storms.

I finally got DH headed off for Michigan yesterday afternoon. He called me last night from east of Paducah, KY. He had picked up and old man that was hitchhiking so he had some company. He didn't say how far the guy was going with him. We always like to go through Kentucky and enter Indiana at Evansville rather than go through Illinois. Since DH has a concealed weapons permit and Illinois does not allow it. I figure he will be calling me in a little while. I am sure he stopped for the night somewhere and will get to his brother's house today and then head up to Michigan tomorrow.

Snakes! yuck. I want to do some yard work but DH told me NOT to do too much outside with him gone and if I did do anything outside to wear my SNAKE PROOF BOOTS and working gloves. And to always have my gun with the snake shot in it, in my pocket at all times. Aah...he does love me....LOL.

Have a great day
hugs and prayers to all.

P.S. I am now on Facebook...anyone want to find me there PM me.

Mom23
May 30th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Good Morning All!

I made a quick trip to Joann Fabric's and Hobby Lobby yesterday morning. It's a little over an hour drive to get there. Left home at 8 and was home by 11:30. I was trimming shrubs and mowing by noon. Blondie, you are so brave when it comes to snakes. I rattled bushes and stomped around the area before I ever started working. I was going to chase any wildlife away before I started! Hubby went to the doctor yesterday afternoon for dizziness, headache and heartburn. He never gets sick so we were both really worried. Awaiting test results from an EKG and blood work today. He went to bed at 7 last night so I spent the next 4 hours in my sewing room. I'm making slow progress on a couple baby quilts. I am still practicing FMQ on my Janome 6600 but I'm just too scared to take the next step and quilt.

3-5 more inches of rain expected here in the next 5 days. Ugh. Have a Great Day!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 30th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Good Morning All!

I made a quick trip to Joann Fabric's and Hobby Lobby yesterday morning. It's a little over an hour drive to get there. Left home at 8 and was home by 11:30. I was trimming shrubs and mowing by noon. Blondie, you are so brave when it comes to snakes. I rattled bushes and stomped around the area before I ever started working. I was going to chase any wildlife away before I started! Hubby went to the doctor yesterday afternoon for dizziness, headache and heartburn. He never gets sick so we were both really worried. Awaiting test results from an EKG and blood work today. He went to bed at 7 last night so I spent the next 4 hours in my sewing room. I'm making slow progress on a couple baby quilts. I am still practicing FMQ on my Janome 6600 but I'm just too scared to take the next step and quilt.

3-5 more inches of rain expected here in the next 5 days. Ugh. Have a Great Day!!!!Robin, sorry to hear your DH isn't feeling well, I sure hope it is nothing serious! Go ahead, take the plunge and try out that FMQing on the 6600, it will work out fine! I used cheater panels to experiment with, found some in a bargain sale, and if it turns out well, you can bind it and make a baby quilt!

EnumclawGramma
May 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good Morning! It is COLD here. I refuse to turn the heat on or build a fire. It's nearly June afterall....

Snakes. Ugh! We have a garden snake living in the ivy out back and that's one part of the yard I refuse to work in! Totally harmless my DGD tells me. No matter. They're more afraid of you than you are of them, my DH tells me. I don't care! Snakes and me do NOT get along. We have a fairly good size pond on our back deck and one day my DH was doing some filter work on it and there was a snake in there. LOL he jumped back so fast he almost fell! HAHAHA! More afraid of you INDEED! His memory of the incident is way different than mine.

It is Thursday already. How is it that the older I get the faster the time goes? Wasn't it just October? Oy. I have tons to do in the house and out. We got a really good start on our yardwork, hoping to get it all done for a party in July. I love my place when it's all weeded and pruned and mowed. But because we live in the woods, it's a constant battle beating the forest back.

We have a new addition to our home. My DD got herself a black German Shepherd pup. He's a darlin'. 7 months old, so he's still got that mischief in him, but he's catching on to the house rules. Totally house broken thankfully. He is learning that cats have sharp edges as he gets to know my Burmese. My Mollie has NO patience for him, she's not really a dog after all....fun times on the homestead!

I better get moving. Lots to do, not a lotta time!

Hugs and prayers to all who want/need.....

Miss Sheri
May 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Friends,
My Goodness, some of you get up REALLY EARLY! I thought I was early at 5:30 or 6:00, but busy until all are out the door. (I leave last).
Personally, I don't mind the garden snakes so much. I always kind of hope one or two will find their way into my gardens to eat the bugs and any rodents who think they want to take up residence. I really really hate rodents! My DH is allergic to fur, so no cats for that job.
It looks like a beautiful morning here in Utah, it rained a lot last night so everything is washed clean and smells so fresh.
Have a beautiful day!

WendyI
May 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Morning everyone...boy those poor snakes sure get a bum rap in here. I love them....well maybe not the poisonous ones...they keep rodent populations down so I'm all for them. While I love all animals mice can make you really sick....so garter or garden snakes are truly your friend!! They're such docile creatures.

Nothing new in my world....too many aches and pains to do anything in the gardens with all these weird weather disturbances happening. At least work has picked up a bit so that's good.

Hope you all have a fantabulous day!!

Sandy Navas
May 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Mawning all you. AC man in the attic and fixing things. Wet and cloudy outside - sprinkles off and on. Have no idea what I'm going to do today. Got up yesterday with a headache from some distant place and finally collapsed before lunch to sleep the afternoon away. Not sure that I am headache free today either. I know it is all weather related - sinus stuff with all the rain, pollens, etc., but nothing I've taken seems to ease the fact that I feel as if I ran into a brick wall head first.

Hard to accomplish much when five of the six girls seem to want to sew with Nana each and every day. They sure don't like it if they have to take turns . . . WHAP! Zoe at 4YO was so excited yesterday as Rita 6YO taught her how to tie a quilter's knot and with a rectangular piece of fabric she sewed the sides, turned it out, stuffed it and sewed up the opening for a doll pillow. I have never seen such an excited child - her first sewing project that she did "ALL BY MYSELF." I do believe I have helped create several monsters . . . love them all.

May everyone's day be filled with nothing but GOOD THINGS.

Mpyles
May 30th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Good morning!!

I slept in this morning...stayed up til about 1 am working on my teacher tote. It's coming along nicely, I should have it finished in a few hours.

Snakes...yuck!! I don't see many of them here thank goodness! Must be the rainy weather that has them so active?? Dunno!

Sandy, sounds to me like those grand kids are really making some great memories with you!! I have such fond memories of my grandma, and all the things she let me do or taught me! She even let me drink coffee with cream and sugar!! I miss her!

Off work today, and everyone home for dinner so need to figure that out. We are trying to eat healthy...and there is only so much chicken a girl can take!! Maybe a low fat meatloaf....

Hope you all have a great day!!

toggpine
May 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Good Morning!

I am glad to see a few new faces in here this morning!
Andrea, it sounds like you have a fun day of visiting planned with your sister. It is about time to get together with mine. School will be out in a few weeks (she's a teacher) and she'll have the time to come out to the farm for a visit.
Sheri, I don't mind snakes so much, as long as they aren't poisonous. The thing that gets me is when they dart out from their hiding spot, and startle me. I squeak when they do that!

I must get the ceiling paint touch-ups finished in the back bedroom today. Then I can put away the paint for that room. I really should start on the hall & kitchen with the paint, but I really want that room finished before I make a mess someplace else. Trust me. I have enough house projects to keep me busy all summer!

I need to go figure out what we will be having for supper and get the rest of the day started!

You all have a good day and be the reason for someone to smile!
Cathy

pcbatiks
May 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Still morning.........hope everyone is having a good one. Yesterday I bathed both of our dogs and mowed our yard and the neighbors yard. And of course the whole time I am mowing I am watching for snakes........yuck! I found 4 or 5 snake eggs on the other side of our yard a few days ago........sooooooooo where are the snakes???!!!???!!?? Fortunately our dogs have alerted us that a snake was in the yard several times over the years. They don't get very close to the snake but they will bark and bark until we go check on them.

I just bought a Craftsy class on modern quilting.........got an email for a $9.99 class.......yeah!! As soon as I finish organizing my little stash and put up my design wall I will take pictures for you all to see.

alliek
May 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM
NO Snakes for me either! Can't stand them, even the little garden variety. None of them have "nice" faces! One time my daughter was pushing a garden snake down off the driveway into a puddle on the road. The poor thing looked like it was dead until it suddenly started to climb the broom handle! My DD screamed and the snake and broom became airborne and landed on my neigbors lawn across the road just as her son turned the corner. He returned the broom and put the dazed snake into the woods. We never saw another snake at the house in the 22years we lived there afterward! LOL

lilmouse
May 30th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Everyone, my finger is healing up nicely; hopefully I can work in the sewing room today...I have a huge basket of scraps I am going through, cutting them into usable pieces, not my favorite job but I love making scrappy quilts and it is nice when you have your own precuts that you made yourself. I have a quilt I need to finish up, it has been sitting for awhile. I am finally able to type better so can answer more posts instead of just lurking.
Steve and Sassy are doing fine. I have to get busy today; have wasted my days off doing just about nothing...only what had to be done....worked a couple of hours yesterday for a coworker, she just became a Gramma again. And then spent it all on co pays for prescriptions....easy come easy go!
At least I have small co pays compared to some.
Everyone have a great day today.
Hugs and prayers for all, Susie

Tanya D
May 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Good morning friends!

Another wet and chilly day here today. We got a pretty good thunderstorm last night. I was sewing away when suddenly the whole room lit up with lightning and then KABOOM! Startled me a little bit and the dog wasn't too sure he liked it. He was "hiding" under the ironing board...silly pup.

I was working on another rag quilt order. Another pink one...this one a little bigger than a crib size as it's for a 4 year old girl who already has a rag quilt but it's falling apart. So I offered to replace it and the mom is paying me for it along with the two rag quilts I made for her clients. So I'll be getting a little cheque for $210...which I'm sure I'll promptly spend on fabric :)

Not much else going on in my neck of the woods...just waiting for lunch as I have a date with a girlfriend for a catch up and a good meal.

Granny Judy
May 30th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Awww, poor Snakes!! I have a little one living in a raised flower bed.. and there is a big black snake who visits the bird nests in the roof overhang on the back patio. I don't dare tell the kids as they would bash the poor things.. The birds carry on something fierce and I know "Blackie" is on the prowl. We have more than enough Sparrows to share, so Blackie is welcomed to one now and then.
My elders taught me that it is a blessing to have a Snake visit and clear out the rodent population. A lovely Indian Woman used to keep a pet black snake in her cabin.. rafters were it's favorite resting place. I never saw a mouse or rat around her place.

I don't want to live with one.. just know they are there and helping me garden is as close as I care to get to one.

I'm late getting here since I was out early cleaning up the back patio and setting up a small water feature. Cut a few Peonies and made the table look festive. Had the help of 2 dogs who love water!! and think they can get into the pond.. NOPE. only the two front feet. and only one at a time. Then the pump turned on and they got a face full of water. Guess we will need to grab the kiddy pool and set it up for them.

I was looking for "Ilove2craft2"... anyone seen here around here lately??? I guess I'll jump to her profile and leave a message.
Hugs to all who happen by and prayers for everyone who needs a little extra boost today.

janluna
May 30th, 2013, 02:40 PM
​Allie, that snake must have told all his buddies your yard was a dangerous place to go.:D I don't mind snakes either. I have picked up my fair share and put them out in our field. The Copperheads we have are a different story. So, if it's a friendly snake, he lives, if it is a nasty, hissing, mean snake, he's a dead snake. lol
I haven't been to sleep yet. Yesterday I went to the drug store to get some Orajel for my toothache. I had a basket in my right hand, so I reached for it with my left and this blinding pain shot into my shoulder and arm. There was a loud popping sound as my shoulder tried to come out of the socket. It went back in but Oh Man! does it hurt. My meds didn't even touch it. I finally gave up trying to sleep. Got up at 5:00 and started the laundry and in between loads I worked on my Bow Tuck Purse. The laundry is done and put away, and I'm resting in bed and typing to you all. I found out it is not good to try and square up things when you can't make any sudden moves with your injured shoulder and arm. lol Now it is bothering my neck on that side. It's also not a good time to haul wet clothes to the dryer. lol Can you tell I'm getting punch drunk? Well everyone, now that you have heard my sad tale, I'll leave and give you a break from my meandering thoughts. LOL Thinking of you all, and sending Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.:icon_wave:

Blondie
May 30th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Jan, I am interested in seeing the bow tuck purse when done. Be sure to share it!

Got up at 5:00 and started the laundry and in between loads I worked on my Bow Tuck Purse. The laundry is done and put away, and I'm resting in bed and typing to you all. I found out it is not good to try and square up things when you can't make any sudden moves with your injured shoulder and arm. lol Now it is bothering my neck on that side. It's also not a good time to haul wet clothes to the dryer. lol Can you tell I'm getting punch drunk? Well everyone, now that you have heard my sad tale, I'll leave and give you a break from my meandering thoughts. LOL Thinking of you all, and sending Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.:icon_wave:

Sew Perfect
May 30th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Good afternoon to all of you! Yes, time just flies bye! Before I say anything about myself, I wanted to let all of you know that I think of you often. It's so interesting to me that I have not met any of you, yet we are all friends in a special way.

I was up late into the night as we have been having storms, which I do love. I was really into my sewing and before I knew it, time had passed me bye and it was nearly 4 in the morning. I woke up in a timely matter this morning and am back to sewing.

I can't believe all that I accomplished yesterday! Our new dining set was delivered, but I had to put the table and chairs together as I had ordered them rather than going to the furniture store. They too have to put them together, so it is not a new thing. Anyway...I did that, sewed, had coffee and fresh baked apple bread with a friend, and cleaned a bit. That doesn't seem like much to some people, but for me, I felt it was a lot because it was such a variety of things.

I've had to stop on a couple of projects I was working on due to running out of a few things. Never fear! I am working on my first Chevron!

I hope you all are enjoying your day today. Count your blessings, live, laugh, and have joy. Happy sewing!