PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had just a little more money

Greenwood
May 30th, 2013, 02:56 AM
I realized that I don't like to log roll my quilts to get them under the machines neck to quilt them. I just finished quilting my stacked quilt tonight and whoa boy do I need the pain pills, my arms, hands and neck are really bothering me. Oh well, I will just consider that I have always had some pain after a big push to finish a project. It doesn't matter if it is woodworking or quilting, the pain is the same.

When I have a quilt that I am not going to donate I will scrape up the cash to get a long arm quilter to do a proper job of it. I have met 1 who charges 1 cent a square inch, which I have been told is on the cheaper side.

Time for bed, got work in the morning.

bkthomas
May 30th, 2013, 03:28 AM
That's what I am always thinking too......just a little more cash......

auntiemern
May 30th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Check out Leah Day's tut on how to quilt a big quilt on a home domestic machine. Worth the watch, I haven't rolled a quilt since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y14B-vwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eOpPsecyU

Sew Perfect
May 30th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I would like to have the money for a quilting machine as well. Until then I have my sewing machine and some I will take to the quilter to be quilted.

Marilyn, thank you for the tutorials. I like Leah.

nana margaret
May 30th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I totally agree with Marilyn, Leah Day's squish squish flatten method worked really well for me. I would love a machine with a bigger throat space and hubby says he's going to get me one (eventually!) but until then I'll keep squishing and flattening!

shermur
May 30th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Darlin's...it does take time and money to obtain what quilter's NEED! thanks, Marilyn for the youtube options! I sure wish I could afford a long arm machine as well! Right now, the objective is to find a free motion foot for my Bother sewing machine in order to try Leah Day's method....

CrazyMtnLady
May 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I want a machine with a deeper throat also. DH says I need one and that I need an embroidery machine too. Needed and having the money for are two different things. He is going to check and see what kind of sewing supplies his mother had and maybe he'll come home with a machine and a nice stash of fabric for me. Fingers crossed, but I don't know what kind of things she liked to make. I know she did some crocheting...I can always use yarn.

Renate
May 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
thinking the same, as soon as I have enough money, I will buy a long arm. but until than, I do my quilting by hand.

what i started new is to make small sandwiches (10 x 10 " or something like that), quilt them and than sew them together. As my machine quilting looks horrible, I do not want to show it here ..

cyndiofthevortex
May 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I did buy a Viking Megaquilter, which has a larger throat space, about 11" or so. It makes all the difference. I paid for it over time. I do wish I could afford a long-arm quilter every once in a while but that will never be, I'm sure. I like Leah Day's method, too. I wish I could quilt like she does! She is amazing.

auntiemern
May 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Look on ebay or amazon for darning foot. Any low shank foot will fit. On my old machine, I broke mine, and went to buy a new one. JoAnn didn't have any, so I went to the Brother dealer close by. Holy cow. They had the plastic one like I had just broken for around $20 or a larger open metal one for $56. I bought the metal one, but should have waited and got one off amazon or ebay. They cost way less than what I paid.
Darlin's...it does take time and money to obtain what quilter's NEED! thanks, Marilyn for the youtube options! I sure wish I could afford a long arm machine as well! Right now, the objective is to find a free motion foot for my Bother sewing machine in order to try Leah Day's method....

lilmouse
May 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I always use Leah Day's method of machine quilting....don't do free motion yet....too afraid but I am moving closer to it. One day I will get there....also there is another video out there...not sure of her name but she shows how to make an inexpensive
large surface to quilt on that can be broken down and stored.....wish I could find it!

Greenwood
June 3rd, 2013, 03:06 AM
Check out Leah Day's tut on how to quilt a big quilt on a home domestic machine. Worth the watch, I haven't rolled a quilt since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y14B-vwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eOpPsecyU

Thank you for the info.