PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmmmmmmm Good!

K. McEuen
May 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Yesterday afternoon after picking my daughter up from work we ran by the grocery store. They had porkbutt (bone-in) on sale for 99 cents a pound. I grabbed one that was about $18.00. Got home, put half in the freezer for later and browned the other half in a big old pot that used to belong to my Grandma. Seems everything does better in those old pots. I seasoned it, dumped a 1 gallon can of sauerkraut on top, sprinkled liberally with some brown sugar, put the lid on and stuck it in the oven at 250. About midnight or so I turned it down to about 200 because I could smell the kraut and really didn't want to try to sleep smelling the food cooking.

I took it all out of the oven a couple hours ago. The sauerkraut melts in your mouth, the meat is falling apart and oh so yummy. Dinner tonight will be home made mashed potatoes smothered in shredded pork and sauerkraut.

Of course that will probably be dinner for the next few days as well since there was so much of it.

:D

bakermom
May 29th, 2013, 07:05 PM
sounds good! what time's supper??

laf512
May 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Yum!! I love pork and kraut over mashed potatoes!!

SandyWhite
May 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Good way to cook dinner. No muss or fuss and tastes great.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 29th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Wow, sounds soooo delicious!

MayinJerset
May 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Sounds delicious. Years ago I used to roast a pork butt over sauerkraut and we all loved it but at some time realized there was too much fat on the sauerkraut. You way of cooking it sounds better with the kraut on top in Grandma's old pot.

pcbatiks
May 29th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Is it to late for me to stop by for supper..........sounds yummy!

ilive2craft2
May 29th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I haven't done that in ages....or any cooking for that matter....but that sounds wonderful! I may do some pork ribs and kraut in the crockpot.... mmmmmm now I am hungry....

DCM
May 29th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I love kraut and pork. My husband and son aren't very fond of it so every time I visit my mom she makes kraut and pork and homemade split pea soup with ham. Now I want some kraut :)

K. McEuen
May 29th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow if y'all can make it by then.

I haven't made this in a long time, but man, it was good.

bubba
May 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Makes me think of my dad....he loved sauerkraut! He would fix it either w/a pork steak on it or a polish sausage. By the time that sausage would be done cooking, it'd be like butter!!! Since my husband does not like it, I never fix it. My dad has been gone nine years now and it's so nice to have the memories, always.

shannonsaulter
May 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Mmmmm is right...send me a plate..

sewbizzy
May 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes is my favorite meal...yours sounds sooooo good!!!

Sandy Navas
May 30th, 2013, 12:07 AM
http://atlawless.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hungry.png (http://atlawless.com/author/readalotta/page/3/)

auntiemern
May 30th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Sounds wonderful. Might have to make some for me and DH when I don't have the kiddo's. Kenz would eat it, but don't think the other 2 would.