PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

MillieS
May 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
As you can see I'm a lurker..I enjoy reading the forum everyday..I read about soooo many of you having a "stash" and buying more fabric for your stashes just to have on hand..Am I the only one that decides on a quilt pattern and then go buy the fabric I need for that quilt? What little bit I have left over from making a quilt isn't enough to make anything..

Sandy Navas
May 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Millie, my Li'l Sis is just like you. She does have a medium-sized tote where she puts anything left after completing her quilts, but it isn't even half full. I never met another frugal quilter. She sure razes me because I have more than I need . . . and I will never be able to use it all.

Hulamoon
May 29th, 2013, 11:09 AM
The only reason I have so much is because I make children's clothes to sell online. Got sorta side tracked by taking up quilting for my kids and grandkids so I really need to get back to work. lol All the quilts I have made so far are from precuts. I'm finally venturing out and doing it from yardage. Keep all your scraps! I was cleaning up and threw so much out before I discovered quilting. I really want to make a string quilt and could cry about it but I have more than enough like Sandy said.

And Welcome!

Renate
May 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hi Millie, how do you manage that? I cannot resist, when entering a fabric store, seeing all this wonderful colourful ... How do you say no?

quilter.martha
May 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Millie, I used to be the same way--only buying what I needed for a specific project. But I have kinda gotten away from that and have a stash, not anything like lots of these ladies. One thing I always did, however, was get extra fabric, say 1/3 to 1/2 yard of each fabric when I made a quilt (like a bed size). I was always afraid of messing up and then not being able to find the same fabric again. That began my stash and I have used much of that fabric in other projects.

Iris Girl
May 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
working in the industry for 20 plus years I got an auto stash... LOL my boss and I were the worst on truck days when the new fabric came in sometimes between us in never made it to the floor to sell...oh they were the days , I have calmed down a lot and only by in 1/2 yard pieces unless it backing or exceptionally pretty.

SallyO'Sews
May 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hi, Millie, I'm like you - mostly don't buy without a specific project in mind.

However! I have a gazillion projects that I plan to do... so, yeah, DS#8 has to share his room with Mom's toys. Or more accurately, when DS#8 graduated from college a couple of weeks ago, I had to clear out some space in my "toy room." :lol:

toggpine
May 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I buy just enough for the project. Sometimes.
My problem comes when I go in to find one piece for a specific project and I see something else that would be perfect for another idea I have brewing. Sometimes I run into fabulous sales and pick up backing or background fabric that I will use for other projects. It makes me cringe to pay full price!
I am currently trying to use up my fabrics since I have filled up my designated storage space. I'd love to take over the back bedroom that was just vacated by our son, but I am showing amazing restraint and just turning it into an office & guest bedroom. Once I get the desk, files, & computer out of here I'll have more room in my sewing den!

Granny Judy
May 29th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Not sure how I managed to get soo much stash, but it happened.. Now I am trying to get those Ideas into Projects and seemed to have way too many projects. I need an intervention.. before I become a hoarder.

I've stopped buying fabric for a whole month, now. It doesn't seem to hurt much.. but I haven't seen any good "sales" either. Just keep my Bro away as he loves auctions and always wants to "get me out of the house". Auctions are my weakness.... as if ya didn't already know.----

cyndiofthevortex
May 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I've gone from one extreme to the other, thanks to my self-imposed fabric diet. I used to buy fabric all the time just for the sake of having it. Now I use what I have and only buy what I need to finish a quilt, such as border or backing fabric. I NEVER thought I'd make such a change! I feel so good about saving money and using up some much-loved fabric from the past.

IBake
May 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I have a dear friend who is a phenom quilter. She only buys what she needs for the project in place at that moment. She makes her quilts in the summer, and then does all the hand quilting in the winter when it is a good lap rug. I just shake my head....oh, and she knits .... I so am not worthy....but I have a great time at three in the morning when my back won't let me sleep and I wander into the pretend room (you know, where I have all the fabric that I am pretending to be sewing on?) and fuss with it.... But just buy for one project.? I don't have that type of self control...

laf512
May 29th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I have a VERY small stash. I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy pretty fabric anytime I see it though. I'm learning self control ;) I've found out it is easier for me to find a pattern and then get fabric that will work rather than buy fabric I like and then try to find a pattern!

asta
May 29th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I am a lot like SllyOsews, when I buy fabric, it is usually for a project I have in mind, however I have a couple of friends who just like to buy and they tend to fill my shelves with random fabrics.

By the way, HI Millie, I am also from Wisconsin.
Beth

GuitarGramma
May 29th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one that decides on a quilt pattern and then go buy the fabric I need for that quilt? What little bit I have left over from making a quilt isn't enough to make anything..
You're not the only one. My husband and I have a deal: I'm allowed to have as many ongoing projects as I want, but any fabric I buy has to be for a specific project. I have a substantial backlog of projects (which is why I joined the 2013 UFO Group), but all my fabric is spoken for.

I did get a little off kilter with this when I won a packet of fat quarters, but I decided to use those for the 2012 Craftsy Block of the Month.

As for leftover fabric, I don't tend to have much when I'm done with a project. I keep some in those page protectors in a large binder. But my sweet hubby and I talked about it, and we agreed that it's OK for me to toss all my true scraps.

But don't get me started talking about keeping paper! Granted, my hubby knew I was a read-a-holic when he married me. Still, it's a real problem...

auntiemern
May 29th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I wish I had your self control. I started out only buying for specific projects, but always bought over. Then I would start picking up remnants. Then I would see fabrics and just think, those would make a pretty quilt. Somehow it just got away from me, and now have a rather large stash. I have a hard time passing up a good deal. Not to mention the fabric that has been donated for the PICU. But I have put myself on a fabric diet for now, since we just bought a new truck. Guess we will see how that goes, lol.

GuitarGramma
May 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
New truck / Fabric. New truck / Fabric. That' a tough call, for sure! You must have let your DH make the final decision, right?

Judy, USMC
May 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I have a specific color preference ... patriotic prim. You know the navy, burgundy and tan color scheme and love to mix the fabric and block patterns up so always pick up some of my colors ~ especially when I find a bargain. Unfortunately sometimes my stash and UFOs get into the same storage and I have to sift through every so often and separate them out.

If someone requests a project outside that range I let them buy the material ... and they also get whatever is leftover, too.

Mchelem
May 29th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I have a small stash too lol.......

I can't not buy fabric-especially now that I teach and work for Joann's. Its too tempting when I am stocking the shelves to stock y shelves too!

ilive2craft2
May 29th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I used to be that way, but then I ran short of fabric on a project and had a hard time finding more of it. I now buy a little more than I think I will need - I have made mistakes in cutting and it has saved the day to have that extra.

I really need to organize what I have, so that I know what I have. When I go digging through bags and bins, I always find something I have forgotten about. I have also found cuts of the same fabric in 2 different bags - I guess I really liked that one! Trying to be on a fabric diet, but just got today's dd - I have an idea in mind for it (falling charms), but could turn into something else... :) If I get it all into one place and organized, I think I will be shocked as to how much I have...not even coming close to hoarder status. :)

MillieS
May 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the answers. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one without a stash.

MayinJerset
May 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Oh Millie, I started out just buying for a project with maybe 1/4 or 1/2 yard more for mistakes as I had only Joann's and Rag Shop nearby to purchase fabric and quilting supplies from. Then I met a group a quilters on line and some of us began meeting in Lancaster PA for the Spring show. Lancaster has many, many fabric shops and very low prices and my stash building began. We used to stay a few days for the show but shopping at almost every shop was top of our list. I always picked up white or cream on whites, or wide backings and, of course, some specially low priced bargins. Nowadays my visits to Lancaster are shorter and so is my To Buy List as I have plenty of projects all lined up, fabrics and patterns all tied together just sitting on the shelves waiting to be done.

Cat n bull
May 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I usually find the fabric first, THEN decide on a pattern. I do not have local fabric shops or the ability to just get in the car and go shop for a project, so it's much easier for me to have fabric on hand at home.

I think how much you sew and for what purpose also has a lot to do with how much fabric you keep on hand. I will ALWAYS need fabric for Project Linus quilts. Always have a need for sashings and borders and bindings. It is MUCH much much easier for me to have fabric to choose from than constantly be at the store shopping for fabric.

I used to make dance costumes, so having fabric on hand is just the way I work. After a while you do accumulate extra, and it saves time and money to be able to use fabric on hand whenever possible.

I do try to limit my quilting fabric to what I can reasonably store. I went on a fabric buying frenzy, then stopped when I was having trouble finding places to put it. Now I have been using that fabric and it is SO VERY NICE to have such a lovely selection to choose form right in my own sewing room!

Tanya D
May 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I only buy what I need for a project so I don't have much of a stash.

Poppytree
May 31st, 2013, 08:46 AM
I've been quilting a year and have a few extra layer cakes, charm packs, neutral backing faabric and jelly rolls put by (and ideas of how to use them)

My stash is very small but I keep it like that as things are much more expensive here in Australia and I have to manage my hobbies/extras from a very limited budget.

Bubby
May 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
I'm sure there are many quilters like you...but I'm one of the stash-building quilters. I always work on several projects at the same time. Different strokes for different folks!

Iris Girl
May 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have a big stash from working in Rag shop for so many years. I usually have 3 or projects that need finishing, 3 or 4 I am working on , 3 or 4 waiting to be worked on and 3 or 4 in the thought process. I have reduced the stash somewhat and am working real hard to organize and color coordinate on comic boards and in tubs.

Greenwood
June 1st, 2013, 11:00 PM
Mom got me to buy 1/2 more than I needed for a project but then I found Fabric Recyclers and 40% coupons. Now I buy 1 to 2 yards and any pieces or fat quarters that 'call' to me.