PDA

View Full Version : Rain...rain...please go away...

Genny
May 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Last summer thru all the drought I never thought I'd be saying this...but...rain rain please go away! We got another 3 1/2 inches overnight and now we're running sump pumps in our basement. Thankfully its not carpeted or finished but it is a good clean basement that normally doesn't leak. Theres an old well in it that's about 9ft by 9ft around and 10 ft deep that's usually dry and its now full and coming out the top which is flooding our basement. With all the ground water running into the well it just filled the last 2 days. Sorry...just had to talk about this to someone. We've had over 11 inches of rain since Saturday.

New York Sue
May 29th, 2013, 10:02 AM
JEEZ. Can I EVER relate! When we flood it's nearly the same scenario.
My neighbor's basement is deeper than ours, and when our water table rises, he runs 3-4 pumps for days on end.( He usually has about a foot of water, before we have a drop...) I've come to the (not so brilliant) conclusion that we're all just circulating water, until the water table drops. And the only one that truly wins is the electric company!
My basement is finished. The first time it happened here, we literally ripped carpet out. We now have a sprayed epoxy floor with area rugs. Excellent investment, btw. It's held up to a couple of floods since. But we've done a lot of wall rippin' over the last ten years!
I sure hope your water table drops soon! ;)

Jean Sewing Machine
May 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yuck! Floods make you feel so helpess! I had a room in the basement that flooded several times, had to rip out two year old carpeting and replace with ceramic tile, then got the source of the flooding finally under control. Water table raises, you can't fight that one! Just get the pumps handy! My son in Winterset IA who lives on top of a hill had the water table thing going on back when Iowa got so much rain about 5 years ago. They tore down their tiny farmhouse and redug the foundation, while adding tons of sump pumps, built a new home, and things are fine now.

WendyI
May 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Ahhhh the joys of spring. My back yard is like a swamp too...so much rain yesterday it was crazy. Today it's raining again. Makes me sooooo tired...I just want my pillow! I sure hope you can keep it under control...having a wet basement is not fun.

Tanya D
May 29th, 2013, 05:23 PM
We've had days and days of rain as well. So far, no leaks but the water table is rising for certain. I noticed the creek is high and the water is rushing.

SuzyQue
May 29th, 2013, 06:28 PM
While we don't have any flooding occurring in our home, I feel your pain. We have had bunches of rain this past week and after last year's drought, we are feeling kind of feast or famine around here, too! My poor hubby had to wait forever this spring for the snows to stop and the ground to warm to plant only to be rained out already! It has been a weird weather pattern this year already! Since June 1st is fast approaching, no more corn will be planted........soybeans only if the ground ever dries again! The wind is roaring and more storms tonight and tomorrow and ........................the rest of this week!

Genny
May 29th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Yes, more storms to come and lots of rain. We're supposed to get another 4 inches tonight and tomorrow .

Lindagie
May 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM
There are still parts of our yard that have been cut only once because it is always too wet; our very own swamp! The weekend was fantastic, until Monday afternoon when we got a ton of rain that came up very fast and furious! I hear we are supposed to get more rain/storms this week as well. So far, so good as far as any flooding around here. We have had water in the basement before getting the new sump pump system, and it is definitely no fun! It IS feast or famine, it seems!