PDA

View Full Version : Interesting weekend.

kensington
May 28th, 2013, 06:54 PM
We had plans to have our grandkids out to swim, But... Saturday Dh discovered our Septic Tank was not pumping and we went into panic mode. NO FLUSHING! Or Showers! UGH... So we started making calls and of course, being a holiday weekend we got ahold of NO ONE. Summer before last our Air Conditioner went out on 4th of July weekend, and that was one HOT holiday! :0

So, he is making calls and I am stressing and upset cause I can't use to the potty... Ugh... I'm no camper either. :lol:
So he says "What can I do to help you distress, and OFF to M*QC we went!! Yep... I bought the DD and fabric to border my Chevron I am making that Jenny did. Same Layer cake etc... I got an awesome pattern for an apron also and a new tape measure for my purse. (retractable). He loved that place. We got there late, it was less than an hour to close, but we walked around and chatted, talking about all the different quilts. They have moved stuff around, and taken out some quilting machines and put in a LOT more Fabric. He was really impressed, and said when we left, it could have only been a better experience if he had met Jenny!

We stopped an ate on the way back, and decided to by pass going home right away so we went to the movies. We got home late and went right to bed, got up early the next morning and packed to go to a hotel so we could shower and potty and relax. The "Hilton" no less. Hotwire got us an awesome room for 57.00. Really nice Hotel, with pool and restaurants. We kicked back and did nothing, then went the Smoke House for dinner and came back to the room to relax and get a movie on demand.

Yesterday we slept in, Check out not til noon. So, that was nice, then we hit the New Dennys and had late breakfast before heading out to the cemeteries so I could put flowers there for my parents. And, I cried. It was hard this year.
Maybe all the stress? Then we went to see fil, and went shopping. I picked out four capri pants and three shirts... bought two capri pants and flip flops. LOL. Doesn't it always go that way? Then we went back and picked up fil and went to eat. We went to Sam's Club to have the "Hot Dog Deal"... LOL, we do that a lot. (Nathan's famous Hot dogs from NY) We finally came home late last night, making one last stop at our local grocery store to pick up snacks, some things we needed, and potty one last time before coming home.

He took the morning off and must have just worked feverously to get things done, cause when I got up, one man had already been here to assess the septic issue, another was scheduled to pump, (He has been here and gone now, I can flush and shower!!) :D:D:D And another is to be here by 5:30 to replace our pump.

The man is a SAINT! And I am headed to take a Shower, or Bath, or Spray my self with the hose... SOMETHING! LOL. I just have to keep down my glee and desire to flush the toilets "Just because I can"!! God Bless.

K. McEuen
May 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, your septic system must work differently than any I've dealt with. Never had one with a pump. Is your tank uphill from your house? Ours was gravity fed, meaning s#!t will flow downhill with no problem and then the tank drained into the leech field. I know that the MILs tank in Arizona has to be pumped a couple times a year because they don't allow leech fields. Or is it leach? I never remember. Leeches are gross, probably why I spell it that way. I'm glad to be on city sewer now, but you know whenever something happens now, it's always on the weekend too. Must be Murphy's Law.

Sounds like you had a good weekend otherwise.

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Our septic system doesn't have a pump either. We have a sump pump in the basement that goes into septic though to keep the basement from flooding during heavy rain. Ours goes into a drain field. (city girl so I don't understand most of that). We usually get it pumped out (for good measure) once a year.
Hmmm, your septic system must work differently than any I've dealt with. Never had one with a pump. Is your tank uphill from your house? Ours was gravity fed, meaning s#!t will flow downhill with no problem and then the tank drained into the leech field. I know that the MILs tank in Arizona has to be pumped a couple times a year because they don't allow leech fields. Or is it leach? I never remember. Leeches are gross, probably why I spell it that way. I'm glad to be on city sewer now, but you know whenever something happens now, it's always on the weekend too. Must be Murphy's Law.

Sounds like you had a good weekend otherwise.

nana margaret
May 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Isn't it funny, we take things like bathing and being able to use the toilet whenever we need without a moment's thought but when they go wrong it's such a pain. Sounds like you had a great weekend, one broken septic tank = a visit to MSQC - enough to make anyone forget they're desperate for the loo!, a night at the Hilton and some new clothes! Pleased you were able to salvage your holiday weekend!

kensington
May 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
We have an "Aerator" system. It has a motor that runs and Air Pump and a separating system. Our Laterals are down from our house... not a steep grade though, it's all pretty level. It is fried. It locked up and tripped the breaker it's on in the house, which gives us a light to know it's been tripped. Dh tried to trip it back, but it locked right back up. So, we knew we had big problems.

It's not going to cost nearly as much as I was afraid of though.

kensington
May 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Isn't it funny, we take things like bathing and being able to use the toilet whenever we need without a moment's thought but when they go wrong it's such a pain. Sounds like you had a great weekend, one broken septic tank = a visit to MSQC - enough to make anyone forget they're desperate for the loo!, a night at the Hilton and some new clothes! Pleased you were able to salvage your holiday weekend!

It did make the weekend go by much more nicely than if I had been forced to sit here with my legs crossed! I have an addiction, I eat crushed ice constantly, I have a glass in my hand almost all the time, which keeps me going to the loo all the time too! LOL.

I still need summer clothes though! Not one pair of shorts I liked in that store. :icon_heh:

Claire Hallman
May 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM
It sounds like a lovely weekend that was the result of a bad problem. You sure made the most of the bad situation.

Mom23
May 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
It sounds like the perfect weekend. No plans, just lounging at a hotel and shopping!! Your husband is a dear one.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 28th, 2013, 08:48 PM
When I lived in the country and had to have my septic tank pumped, I gasped when the only septic company in town quoted me the price. Then she pithily added, "It costs a lot to go potty ( she actually used a more descriptive but not allowed word) in the country!" I will never forget that comment! Glad you are back in business to flush and shower freely! And it sounds like a lovely way to spend the weekend!

bkthomas
May 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Giddy over flushing.......I know what you mean......you made me laugh!

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Laughing. . . well, NOT. Our AC went out today and we can't get someone in until tomorrow. Dealing with humidity. Luckily, I'm am wooded enough if the septic was out of commission I could just take a TRAMP into the woods . . .

kensington
May 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Things are better now... DH also installed a new power flush toilet in my bathroom tonight when he got home. It's just lovely! We are going back and getting them for the other 3 bathrooms in the house now too! Lovely new potties for all!

Oh... and then we had ice cream! He is in bed exhausted now. Already asleep is my guess.

kensington
May 29th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Laughing. . . well, NOT. Our AC went out today and we can't get someone in until tomorrow. Dealing with humidity. Luckily, I'm am wooded enough if the septic was out of commission I could just take a TRAMP into the woods . . .

I have woods too... but I'd have a meltdown over having to do that! LOL. UGH... I feel you on the AC... but all in all, it wasn't too hot today, actually nice here I thought. Nice breeze most of the day... raining now, storms moving over.

IF I had to use the woods, just as sure as anything, I'd get poison ivy on my rear.

K. McEuen
May 29th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Sandy, why take the TRAMP into the woods with you? It's not like he'd want to watch, unless he was a PERVY TRAMP.
:icon_heh:

Mchelem
May 29th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Aerobic systems have pumps. (I asked hubby. He's a master plumber lol)