PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Diet Because.....

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I am going to have to go on a fabric diet because DH needed a new truck. Our old truck had 238,000 miles on it, was an 02, and it was just time to retire it. I will miss her though. She was one of 12 trucks that were specially made for the Super Bowl parade that we didn't get to have. She also had a very distinctive sound to her, kind of this low, bad boy rumble. I haven't had a vehicle payment for years, so it will be an adjustment, especially to my fabric shopping, and DH's trips to Bass Pro Shop. This isn't 'brand' new, it is a 2012 but only has 18,000 miles on it. Not even broke in yet. We have to get a bed cover for her and nerf bars, cuz I have a hard time getting in it without some kind of step. We have to have a truck to haul DH s other toy. A 20 foot Stratos Bass boat w/ a 200 HP motor on it. And the truck had to match the boat, lol. Any way, here she is. The prettiest silver I have ever seen.

Tanya D
May 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
She's a beaut!

I drive a truck and I love it. I like being up high and I like having 4x4 in the winter. It's getting up there in mileage too and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your new ride.

cyndiofthevortex
May 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
That's beautiful! We sure would love one of those! We have the next best thing, though, a friend who has one and who doesn't mind letting us borrow it when we need to haul something!

Good luck on your fabric diet. I'd tell you how little I spend on fabric these days but you wouldn't believe me! I love it. It lets me focus on using the lovelies I already have. I bought them to be used and now I'm using them!

Iris Girl
May 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
she is a beauty... I drive a 2000 malibu its old and has almost 200,000 miles but she runs beautiful...hubby keeps her good...except her rusting body...I always say one day the body will rust away and I will be driving a dune buggy, the engine will last forever...hopefully

New York Sue
May 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
A 2012 with 18,000 miles is a great buy! I never buy new but always look for a deal like this when car shopping.
She's a beauty!

I'll be joining you on that fabric diet, aside from an occaisional daily deal, that is. I am WAY ahead of myself, and until I get some projects completed, no more!

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have enough fabric to keep me busy for the next 10 yrs. Hopefully I will still be going strong by then, lol.
A 2012 with 18,000 miles is a great buy! I never buy new but always look for a deal like this when car shopping.
She's a beauty!

I'll be joining you on that fabric diet, aside from an occaisional daily deal, that is. I am WAY ahead of myself, and until I get some projects completed, no more!

EnumclawGramma
May 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Happy hubby happy life. No, wait. That's not how it goes.....;)

Seriously though, congrats on the new addition! Nothing like a new (to us anyway) car or truck.

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Probably a very good thing you didn't tell him you NEEDED a long-arm or a terrific upgrade on your sewing machine. Just saying. I have to say a new truck would keep me from buying fabric for a while but I think it would be worth it. ENJOY!

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Well I did just spend $800 on a new machine, lol. That doesn't even cover tax and license, lol.
Probably a very good thing you didn't tell him you NEEDED a long-arm or a terrific upgrade on your sewing machine. Just saying. I have to say a new truck would keep me from buying fabric for a while but I think it would be worth it. ENJOY!

HandsOffItsMine
May 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Don would love that one! I would love it to haul wood furniture finds. :D Enjoy her/him, whatever! Bummer on the fabric diet, but maybe you can sneak in a FQ once in a while. ROFLOL!

K. McEuen
May 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
WooHoo! Now you can borrow it for the trip to MSQC in October and not have to worry about having enough room to haul everything!

There's mine. Whatever I bring should fit in yours. :icon_heh:

(I tell people that my Dad finally bought me a car. When he died I got a little money from his estate. I had it in the bank for several years without touching it, but he did pay for this one. :) )

Ruby, this is the one I said Don could run off in if he went into estrogen overload in October.

Musical_Starling
May 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I know trucks are supposed to be masculine, but she's purrrrrdy! :D Also, now I understand why my Dad laughs whenever he asks how many km's I have on my car... She's a 2010 Civic (I got her new) with about 29,000 kms which is about the same as your truck lol I obviously don't drive much?

HandsOffItsMine
May 28th, 2013, 07:28 PM
WooHoo! Now you can borrow it for the trip to MSQC in October and not have to worry about having enough room to haul everything!

(I tell people that my Dad finally bought me a car. When he died I got a little money from his estate. I had it in the bank for several years without touching it, but he did pay for this one. :) )

Ruby, this is the one I said Don could run off in if he went into estrogen overload in October.

Ohhh Nice Karen! Yep, he might just take off in your truck. :) He soooo misses his take home work truck - Toyota Tundra, he had for 10 years. No payments, no gas unless we really went somewhere far over the weekend. Those were the days. lol

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I love your Tundra. No way DH would get a Toyota though, lol. (but I would) He retired from Chrysler after 31 years in 2001.

nana margaret
May 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I can't drive (not even a bicycle!) so just looking at that big truck scares the daylights out of me! Enjoy!

Sew Perfect
May 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM
What a beautiful truck you have! We've had to retire 2 of our vehicles after driving them both for 14 years. Now, my husband has a truck and I have sewing. Hoping to upgrade to 2 vehicles once the truck is paid off and we have a large enough down payment for the next. I do hate car/truck payments.

K. McEuen
May 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM
This is my third Tundra. I still own 2. Hubby got the white one when I got this one. I killed my first one. :icon_sniff:
This one is the big boy, Crew Max. Has unbelievable leg room in the back. Had to give up a foot of bed length to get it, but well worth it when we all go someplace since we are all fairly tall.

Let me know how your fabric diet goes. I've been saying I'm on one and do pretty good and then all of a sudden ... BAM! They had Bungle Jungle layer cakes for $19.95 this weekend, so of course had to order one and some yardage to match that was on sale at $5.95 too. If the nephews don't have kids soon I'll end up using it for PICU quilts, so someone wins either way.

Oh, and this Tundra ... built in Texas and contains more American made parts that any Ford or Chevy of the same year. Toyota builds a good, solid truck.

Nana Margaret, my daughter is 28 and still doesn't drive. She learned (kinda) but gets too nervous in traffic and we have a lot of it here so she is a passenger only. Her friends haul her places and either her dad or I take her to work or she rides the bus depending on her schedule. That would drive me nuts. I need wheels.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 28th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Love that truck! It was my late DH's dream vehicle, I kept his 97 Ram for 2 years after he passed away, but it sure was a garage hog!:icon_happy:

Now , after many years driving Dodges, I'm a Toyota junkie! They keep getting prettier and prettier, so I trade for new ones. I've bought 8 since my first in 2003, still have three of them.

WendyI
May 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
That is one sweeeeet Ride! I have a 2012 Tundra also and I LOVE my truck!! Can't for the LIFE of me find a pic of her tho! Will have to get on that! LOL!

I have to say tho...fabric diets suck almost as bad as food ones. Good luck with yours!

bkthomas
May 28th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Love that truck! It was my late DH's dream vehicle, I kept his 97 Ram for 2 years after he passed away, but it sure was a garage hog!:icon_happy:

Now , after many years driving Dodges, I'm a Toyota junkie! They keep getting prettier and prettier, so I trade for new ones. I've bought 8 since my first in 2003, still have three of them.

Can I have one?!!!! JK...... I haven't had a vehicle since 2002!

Nice Marilyn! With that your new Brother and enough fabric for ten years, sounds like your all set!

K. McEuen
May 28th, 2013, 09:53 PM
That is one sweeeeet Ride! I have a 2012 Tundra also and I LOVE my truck!! Can't for the LIFE of me find a pic of her tho! Will have to get on that! LOL!

I have to say tho...fabric diets suck almost as bad as food ones. Good luck with yours!

There is a picture of your truck on here ... covered in snow. I remember seeing it and commenting about the pointy roof on the house across the street from you.

MRoy
May 28th, 2013, 10:05 PM
DH has gotten into rebuilding trucks - Ford F-100 Crew Cabs. He has a white one ready to sell and a red one in the works. He was planning to keep the red one until a fellow came along who might be interested in buying it. I say keep it because I want to drive it, unless he keeps the 2012 white one that he mentioned yesterday (that's the one I REALLY want). He'd better be deciding which one he's keeping cause my car has 215,000 miles on it and I need a new ride!

Mpyles
May 28th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Love me a dodge ram!!

Karena1984
May 28th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Love it! We have a black big horn! Lol Daniel put a massive grill guard on the front! I have a grand Cherokee because driving the truck is nice but going to sams club is impossible for me in it! Congrats!!! That's worth a diet!!

ilive2craft2
May 28th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Congrats Marilyn! Those Rams ride smooth, don't they? Roomy too! We have it in a darker grey. Fabric diets are tough, but it is just like chocolate...a little bit every now and then is good for the soul. :)

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe not quite 10 yrs, but a long time. And ya know I'm gonna cheat occasionally, lol. That's what happens when you're a fabric junkie.
Can I have one?!!!! JK...... I haven't had a vehicle since 2002!

Nice Marilyn! With that your new Brother and enough fabric for ten years, sounds like your all set!

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Here's my baby:

auntiemern
May 29th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Nice ride Sandy. And yours even has a name. Gonna have to think on that a bit.
Here's my baby:

dwil23
May 29th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Congrats on the new truck - but not on the fabric diet.

I really need to put myself on one of those - and a food diet as well.

We are definitely a Toyota family here, ever since my first Celica in 1975. My DD just bought a "new to her" Corolla this week to replace the one that she totaled in April. She is also feeling the pinch of car payments after not having one for many years. I SURELY don't look forward to the day when I will have to make payments again. The fabric companies don't either.

SallyO'Sews
May 29th, 2013, 01:18 PM
You have to get a bed cover for her?!?
Does that mean a quilt?!? :icon_rofl:

WendyI
May 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM
There is a picture of your truck on here ... covered in snow. I remember seeing it and commenting about the pointy roof on the house across the street from you.

LOL!That is true! BUT I could not quite stomach putting up a pic of my baby covered in that white crap! If I never see snow again it'll be too soon! Here is a must more recent and prettier pic! This was taken late last summer not long after we got her...I think our first camping trip out for the season.