PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Hellos

Blondie
May 28th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Happy Tuesday Folksies!

It still feels like a weekend day because the big fella is home. Yesterday afternoon we grilled out again, my favorite way to cook in the summer. Nothing fancy, just us, paper plates and some hot dogs. Earlier in the day, in fact, the majority of the day, was spent in digging up some monkey grass and day lilies at a friend's home. She had called a few days ago and said we could have pretty much all we could dig and haul away as she was re doing an area. Sis and I went early and filled up the back of my little pick up truck. Cat's back, which is always tender at best, was put totally out soon enough and in bed with muscle relaxers and a pain pill. That left me, Luscious and Bill (my bil) to finish. We filled the guy's pick up trucks. Today we are going to be separating and hopefully getting some in the ground. It will be an instant facelift for my front yard. Yay.

Off to find some coffee and since it is starting to get light outside, I will leave you to find your own way to smile today . . . you can always think of me digging holes or trying to talk the man into going in the woods with me, looking for bigfoot . . .

rebeccas-sewing
May 28th, 2013, 07:32 AM
It's a rainy day in London. Living over here, one sure does learn to appreciate sunshine. I'm kind of at loose ends waiting for some silk to arrive. I can can't carry on with the silk log cabin quilt I'm making for my mother-in-law until it arrives. I have a hard time working on more than one project at a time so I'll just have to be patient. I am having so much fun working with this type of fabric. Besides our dear Divine Daisy has anyone else enjoyed working with silks?

Blondie, sounds like you'll have some loveliness added to your yard. Post pics when they are settled in. I imagine that'll be next year since it takes a while for establishment. I just love it when you and other members post pictures of lush gardens, woods, wide-open spaces, sending some country atmosphere my way.

Joe and I are talking about investing in some property but we're just not sure where that will be. We really don't want to stay permanently in Orange County. Does anyone live in Wyoming? Joe is interested in that part of our world. It seems so remote to me, however, that's what attracts him to it. I'm just not sure. It's quite alien to me when I look at pictures of that state. I certainly wouldn't want to be there in winter. Mind you, we're not looking to retire there but just have a place where we can get away from it all. Taxes are so high in California so we don't anticipate staying there permanently. Once the housing situation improves we'll most likely sell and buy something smaller elsewhere. My dream has always been to have an apartment in a small city with some culture and a place in the country to get away from it all. We'll see. We also toss around the idea of permanently relocating to Europe but I don't think I want to do that, especially now that I'm getting older. I think I would miss my American roots and I don't want to live in a country where English is not the first language. Living in Europe would never feel like home to me.

Now that sis has gone back to Virginia, it's time to give the flat a cleaning. I guess I'll get started with some dusting. Yuck! If I was rich the first service I'd hire is a cleaning company.

aliaslaceygreen
May 28th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Good Morning!! Had a lovely day yesterday...geraniums in their pots, loads of fantasy re-designing of the yard (which will NEVER come to fruition, mind you!).. Paint for the bathroom bought, as well as for refinishing the Formica counter and I finally found a vinyl tile for the floor. There are a gillion ceramic tiles but when you get to vinyl there is really not a lot. I can't get Timmy to do ceramic and the house just isn't worth it... but perseverance wins out and I found some on eBay that is exactly what I had in mind! Guess I need to get photos of the BEFORE going, and then get working on the after!!!

Then I lost two rounds of mini golf... Oh, well!

Back to work today. Blech.... possibly some changes in store, AGAIN. Odd introduction the other day, and people are being coy...

Have a great day!

MRoy
May 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Good morning! I spent time yesterday morning edging our sidewalk and clearing grass and weeds out of the joints...all by hand. I'd put it off until it was pretty bad so there was lots of bending, stooping and pulling to be done. I'm sore this morning but the sidewalk sure looks better now! We've got summer weather for the next few days, hot and dry. Maybe it's finally here.

It's back to work today. Hoping everyone has a terrific Tuesday.

Slamelung
May 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Good morning, I was on vacation last week, went to Nashville, New Orleans and Gulf Shores with my sister and niece we had a great time. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Hi Folks! Glad to hear the group partied on yesterday. Blondie, I know your sis's pain, I'm battling the "down in the back" and this time it's from standing at the longarm! I still need to finish the second half of my queen quilt, and hope it doesn't do me in for the rest of the day. I could not dig in the garden, because I'd have the same results as your sis!

Back to work today, but hope to finish quilting the red, white and blue chevron quilt I started Friday. I'm mad because it was pretty square, and I attached the borders as prescribed (measure three times, ease in) but they are still wavy. This is sort of a "throw together" quilt out of my stash, and my border fabric is very thin. I'm going to blame the fabric not the quilter! I think it stretched! Yeh, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It should be OK, maybe not the squarest quilt in the world, and it is definitely not a show piece, but it will be OK for my purposes.

Hope you all have a great day!

Mpyles
May 28th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Good morning!

Blondie, enjoy your planting day! Rebecca, I have used silk, when I was taught tho..we had to interface it all..is that what you do? I don't know I could pull out a big project if I had to do that...not a fan of all that ironing! But I love the look of it when you get it all together. You will have to post pictures when you get your log cabin finished. Myrna, thankfully I have no sidewalks! 64 days!!
Trisha..the politics of work...hope it's not to much upheaval!
Me....I went to work...crazy busy for the most part...had a crazy guest in...takes all kinds. Went to my building blocks club..it was enjoyable see what colors everyone else has come up with. Came home, the kids and DH had had my mother out for bbq'd pizzas...they cooked them on the green egg. They claimed they were quite good. Hmmm...dunno! Visited with my momma for a bit, took the dog jake for a walk with my DS. I soooo love my children...such joy in life they have been to me. Watched my dd try on her 3 new swimsuits that she has acquired for our trip to the florida beach. Worked on cutting out one of my building block blocks and then it was bedtime!! Off to work soon to do it all over!!

Everyone have a great day!!

Bubby
May 28th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

Our get-together yesterday rather evaporated. Most of our friends travel a distance to visit us and with the bad weather and tornado and storm warnings they were very reluctant to be on the roads, and I can't blame them. So it was just us and our wonderful neighbors. We did have one unexpected guest who attempted to join us...

It was a black snake, non-poisonous. People often get bad infections from their bites though. It was also 6 feet long and, of course, I was the one who almost stepped on it. I had a snake bite about 10 years ago and let me tell you it's not fun. I still have a shadow on my calf where it bit me. Snakes are the reason we keep our yard mowed....so we can see them before stepping on them.

Today I will paint at the old house and I have a few errands to run also. I won't have to cook for a few days due to all the leftovers from yesterday. I was able to freeze the uncooked meat and just cooked enough for the small group we had. We have leftover everything else.

Wishing everyone a good Tuesday...Barb

Monique
May 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Good morning friends. What a gorgeous day we will have. I am getting used to having a dog in the house. We did go for at least three walks yesterday. I also went to the funeral home to pay my respects, a cousin of my husband's passed away. Today my task is to buy a lawn mower. I will take my mother-in-law shopping with me.

I also need to finish sewing the binding on some placemats I made on the weekend.

I need to find a spot in the backyard for the magnolia tree.

So much to do and not enough time. Off to shower and get a move on.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

MayinJerset
May 28th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Lovely day out today and so wish I could get out there and dig up some daylillies but I know better than to attempt it. First planted some along the side of our garage about 50 years ago when we first moved into our house. Added a few different colors over the years but the tall orange ones are the only ones that survived. Dug them up and dividied them many times and shared with friends and family. Replanted them in a big backyard garden and they have been blooming every since. They are so hardly, threw one on compose heap late one fall and the next spring it bloomed right along the others that were in the ground. About 10 years ago I added some Stella Dora's, they are shorter plants with lots of yellow flowers and they bloom more than once a season. Wish I could dig them all up to give away but there are too many tree roots in what is left of my garden to do that so we get to have a nice display during the summer. Lots of hostas left too as they also are very hardy. Love the varigated ones but my favorite are the plain green ones that orginally came from my grandfather's garden in house in Brooklyn where I grew up. I remember helping him plant the first 2 plants when I was a child so they are special to me.

Lots to do today so I better get dressed and do them. Need to buy some sample jars of grey paint for our family room but the colors on the sample cards all seem too light or too dark for the shade I want. Would like to bring the same neutural color into the living room and hallways but may have to find another color. Rooms are presently a light yellow beigey hue so maybe a taupe that seems more grey tones will do. Home Depot and Loew's here I come again.

Smiles and hugs to everyone, May

shermur
May 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mornin', darlin's! Yikes Barb...I do not like snakes...EEWWWW! I would have been hiding in the house somewhere. and boy, did the three day weekend go fast. i did make progress on two of the children's quilts...need ing more fabric that is ordered and waiting for it to arrive! I don't want to go into work today, but this week will be challenging as 5 days will be squeezed into 4....The softball tourney didn't get to be completed as rain/thunderstorms put in cancel mode! Everyone have a great rest of the week!

Mom23
May 28th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Good Morning to All!

Barb, I didn't realize I was doing it, but when I saw the pictures of your snakes I pulled my feet up into my chair. I am absolutely terrified of snakes. I do almost all of the yard work here and one year the roll bar on our tractor rattled a snake out of a tree. The snake landed on me!!!! I can still remember every detail of that event. That happened at least 10 years ago and I still won't mow under the trees if my husband hasn't trimmed them high enough for the roll bar on the tractor to get under them without touching a branch.

Yesterday was a great day because much of it was spent in my sewing room. Made some bibs and a burp rag for a cousin, finished cutting out 240 HST's and squaring them up for a chevron quilt, tidied up the room, and practiced free motion quilting. Not ready for anything professional, but a start.

Today is sew day for our local quilt guild. I have supper ready to put in the crock pot so I can play all day and not have any worries about dinner.

grannyann
May 28th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Robin , did you get to go to JoAnns the other day?
God if a snake ever fell on me I think I would have a heart attack right there.
Hope everyone had a great week end lousy weather and all. It is so hard to believe we are almost done with May.
Have a great Tuesday all.

Mom23
May 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
No I didn't make it. Went to the cabin later in the afternoon. I am planning on making a quick trip tomorrow. Sew Day with the ladies at Quilt Guild today. I will check to see if anyone needs anything or wants to ride along. I have a long list of needed items so it will be worth the drive.

Robin , did you get to go to JoAnns the other day?
God if a snake ever fell on me I think I would have a heart attack right there.
Hope everyone had a great week end lousy weather and all. It is so hard to believe we are almost done with May.
Have a great Tuesday all.

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Ahh, another thunder and lightening show in the middle of the night. It does appear to have stopped raining though. Heard on the radio there were a few small tornadoes not far away.

Yesterday I spent most of the day sewing - between helping a couple of the DGDs with their projects, I managed to get three more wonky house blocks finished. I still have some ideas for a couple more blocks and I'm hoping I can get those done today. Otherwise there isn't much on the agenda.

So, keep your hearts light and keep on truckin'.

EnumclawGramma
May 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Wow! That was a quick weekend! DH took Friday off so we had 4 days, but whoa. Quick 4 days! Where does the time go???

Good Morning everyone! BBQ'd ribs yesterday....craving of mine for a bit so I was happy! We got some major yardwork done this weekend and my hummingbirds are thrilled that we're on it! They empty their bottles every day, so.....two quarts a day or so. Yeessh. Hungry lil' pigs! Now I need to get my bird seed feeders up and I'll be a happy camper!

I went to another fabric sale yesterday! Found it on Craigslist. I came home with 17 yards of happiness! From here till....whenever....I am on a self imposed fabric diet till I finish up my UFOs. (is there an echo in here or did I say this already?)

Off to get the DGD headed in the direction of school. The day after a long weekend is always a challenge.

Hugs and prayers to all who want/need. Barb please keep that snake with you! I HATE snakes!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

Our get-together yesterday rather evaporated. Most of our friends travel a distance to visit us and with the bad weather and tornado and storm warnings they were very reluctant to be on the roads, and I can't blame them. So it was just us and our wonderful neighbors. We did have one unexpected guest who attempted to join us...

It was a black snake, non-poisonous. People often get bad infections from their bites though. It was also 6 feet long and, of course, I was the one who almost stepped on it. I had a snake bite about 10 years ago and let me tell you it's not fun. I still have a shadow on my calf where it bit me. Snakes are the reason we keep our yard mowed....so we can see them before stepping on them.

Today I will paint at the old house and I have a few errands to run also. I won't have to cook for a few days due to all the leftovers from yesterday. I was able to freeze the uncooked meat and just cooked enough for the small group we had. We have leftover everything else.

Wishing everyone a good Tuesday...BarbBarb, that is one looooong black snake! Looks like someone has the snake wrangling tool ready to dispatch it to the woods!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 28th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Ahh, another thunder and lightening show in the middle of the night. It does appear to have stopped raining though. Heard on the radio there were a few small tornadoes not far away.

Yesterday I spent most of the day sewing - between helping a couple of the DGDs with their projects, I managed to get three more wonky house blocks finished. I still have some ideas for a couple more blocks and I'm hoping I can get those done today. Otherwise there isn't much on the agenda.

So, keep your hearts light and keep on truckin'.Thanks for sharing your thunder and lightning, Sandy! It's in Eastern Mo now!

CrazyMtnLady
May 28th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Good morning all.
Barb...glad that snake was in your yard and not mine!

We used our new smoker yesterday and smoked a big pork shoulder roast..boy was that yummy. I am going to slice some and also make some pork BBQ out of some to pack in the cooler for DH's trip to Michigan. We also put some baked beans and potatoes and onions on there. We ate like kings and queens!

Busy day today. going to town and then ironing and packing for DH.

Take care. Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

toggpine
May 28th, 2013, 12:06 PM
We are home! We spent the weekend with some friends on Whidby Island. I think I have the happiest kid on the planet. She rode the ferry twice, rode a horse, played on the beach, and made two new friends who treated her like the long lost little sister.
It was nice to get away and really nice to visit with these folks. They are in the same boat as we are. You can't just up and leave your farm without a lot of advanced planning. Although, next time, we may just bring all of the goats and let them do some blackberry clearing for them! At nearly 400 acres, there are plenty to go around.

I went "thrifting" with them and found the perfect chair for Em's new desk. I have a bit of paint removal to do, but it will be fabulous when all of the ugly brown paint is off. I also found some cute ducky fabric, which then led to a discussion of quilting fabrics. I think I may be coming into a "stash inheritance" situation. We also found two treadle sewing machines out in the "junk" barn. The cabinets are toast and the machines are rusty in some parts. I need to get some photos and see if anything can be done with them, as they are mine if I want them. One is a Sweet Home and the other is a White Rotary (I think). I can probably get hubby to make a new cabinet & top, but if the machines innards are gone, it would be pretty pointless. Man, the "Sweetie's" art work is fabulous! I'd have brought them home on the spot but we only had the car....

I need to go get the little miss up at out for school and then head off for work. Ugh.
You all have a fabulous day!
Cathy

alliek
May 28th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I wish my DH would read your posts!! I need the house painted but he turns a deaf ear to my pleas. I wish I could handle it all but I know I'll never be able to. Oh well (sigh)..... Enjoy brightening your homes with fresh paint , gives you a lift. My mother in law painted so often my father in law joked she was making the rooms smaller. Loved that woman. We had a quiet time at home on a lovely day yesterday. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, home made macaroni salad, cole slaw and cantaloupe along with a red velvet cake and a special prayer for our veterans and all those men and women serving our country's call. God Bless them all.

shannonsaulter
May 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yay its my Friday!!! Hoping to get some sewing done on my 2 days off but have to go to the dmv blah..hope everyone has a great day..

WendyI
May 28th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Well once again it's noonish and here I am just saying good morning! Work is picking up thankfully so won't likely be in as often as I would like. I've also slowed down on the creative side...no time now that gardening weather is here. SOOOO much to do!

Barb...I normally love snakes...truly they are amazing creatures...but I have to say if I came across that big black dude in my yard I would be disconcerted to say the least...not sure I'd be a fan if it fell out of a tree either! I had an altercation with a spider last night and he won! I have NO idea where he is and now it'll be a week before I can sit comfortably in my family room! Bugger!

Off to scrounge for some lunch! Hope you all have a fantastic day!

Tanya D
May 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Good morning friends!

It's a beautiful day here...a little cloudy but the sun is shining and it's warm.

Emma and I went for much needed pedicures last night. My feet feel like butter and my toes are painted a bright blue...so pretty :) I always wait so long between pedicures...I'm sure it's been a year. After I get one I always tell myself I won't wait so long next time as I just love the results.

Last night Steve hunkered down in the basement to watch the latest season of Arrested Development on NetFlix so I hunkered down in my sewing room and got the blue rag quilt all assembled. Now to snip and wash it and my first sale of quilts will be done! So excited!

My son came home from lacrosse practice and seemed a bit out of sorts. Well, upon asking if everything was alright, he replied that it wasn't. Seems him and his girlfriend have been fighting all weekend (he was out of town for 2 games). This is his first girlfriend so he's still trying to figure out this new dynamic. So after a few minutes of my advice, he went to his room to call her. When I went to bed at 12:30 they were still chatting.

I'm so blessed that he feels he can come and talk to me and will listen to what I have to say. He's such a sweet boy.

Now once I get that rag quilt done, I can finish up the borders on my mom's double slice and THEN I can start assembling my Falling Charms quilt that has been teasing me from the corner for over a month now! It will be nice to get everything done.

Have a great day everyone!

toggpine
May 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Well, hubby left just enough coffee in the pot to slosh, but not enough for a decent cup. So here I sit waiting on the coffee maker....

Allie, you can get the painting done. Just take it slow and find the equipment that will work for you. I went and bought some of the little, skinny rollers. My shoulders & elbow don't like the heavier ones. I was always slopping paint and had horrible cast off splatter. These are perfect for me, and I have one that telescopes so I can reach the higher parts like the ceiling. I finally saved up enough Home Depot gift cards and bought myself a new fiberglass step-ladder. I HATE edges & heights, and the wiggly ladders we had around here made me break out in a cold sweat every time I had to climb one. (Hubby does marine repair & specialty paintwork, so he's tripping around the scaffolding that shimmies like a danged monkey, so it's no big deal for him.) He hates the way I paint, but he doesn't argue since the result is just a professional as his, AND he didn't have to do it.

I don't mind snakes as long as they aren't trying to kill me. Those darned garter snakes wait until you are right up on them, and then dart out, which is what makes me shriek.

Ahh, the coffee machine gurgled, so I can get my fix and head out the door!
Again, you all have a great day!
Cathy

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Good morning all.
Barb...glad that snake was in your yard and not mine!

We used our new smoker yesterday and smoked a big pork shoulder roast..boy was that yummy. I am going to slice some and also make some pork BBQ out of some to pack in the cooler for DH's trip to Michigan. We also put some baked beans and potatoes and onions on there. We ate like kings and queens!

Busy day today. going to town and then ironing and packing for DH.

Take care. Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Special prayers for Daniel as he makes this trip. We all know it won't be easy - not for either of you.

Hugs!!

Blondie
May 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Just coming back inside from a productive morning of separating, digging and planting. Rebecca, y ou are so correct; it will look so much better next year. All me need to do now is get some mulch over it. Then we went to Sissy's house and helped Bill tackle some of theirs. We just pooped out. The weather has been pleasant enough this morning, cool and breezy, so that helped.

Barb, that's a big snake. I showed Luscious your pic and he said looks like y'all are prepared with that hook. He told me to get one so I wouldn't have to use tongs and get as close as I do when I move them on. My entire backyard stinks like mothballs since my hubs scattered them in his buildings to keep the varmits away.

Wendy, if that spider was big enough there is NO way I would've been able to sleep last night. Hope you scared it enough for it to make a great escape to the outdoors or however it got in.

I am off to take a lie down. This old body is about to shout at me for all the hard labor yesterday and today. Feels good to see what's been accomplished.

Donna, keeping our Daniel in my prayers. Give him some sugar for me to go with those prayers.

auntiemern
May 28th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Blondie, can't wait to see pics of your new plantings. Barb, that is quite an impressive snake ya got there. DH was out cleaning the truck before we took it to trade, and came in with a 5 ft water snake wrapped around his arm. It was just laying there between the foundation and the concrete on the car port. I made sure he took it a good distance from the house before letting it go. And why was there a water snake here? Guess all the rain, and flooding in the area the past month or so. I want to remodel the bathroom, but getting DH to do it is another matter. Between fishing from Feb-Oct and then hunting season, it is hard for me to get him committed to starting something, and then finishing it. I have one quilt top close to being done, I will get it finished today. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.