PDA

View Full Version : laryingospasm?? Anyone ever have this?

WendyI
May 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
My DH woke up at midnight having a laryngospasm. It was absolutely TERRIFYING! I found this video afterwards and it perfectly describes what happened to him except his was MUCH louder and MUCH more terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPtdkqOLLP4

This happened one other time about ten years ago and that time I did in fact call an ambulance. This time I knew better and that it "should" pass but I still had my phone in my hand. He looked so afraid! It's horrifying when you can breath out but not back in again. I would imagine it's kind of what drowning would be like. If you have ever been seen by a doc for this I'd really like to hear what they said...but I don't think it's very common.

Not a pleasant way to wake up and I had such a hard time sleeping after that. It's almost time to go him and I think I'll be grabbing a blankie and hitting the deck swing for a snooze!

MRoy
May 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM
My DH has had these episodes for years although they're not as frequent as they used to be. They always happen in the middle of the night when he's asleep. It's VERY scary if you've never witnessed an episode before! I know immediately when it starts because DH manages to say "Help me", then he's heading outdoors gasping. He's trying to get air in and he feels like he can get more air outside. He also wants water to splash on his face...not sure why, but it seems to help. He sometimes has terrible coughing at the end of the episode.

When he finally told his doctor about it, the doctor gave him an inhaler like is used for asthma. DH doesn't like to use it. So we have our routine...when the episode starts, he runs out the kitchen door, I run to the kitchen sink for a glass of water and we meet on the carport for his splash in the face and I stay with him until he's okay...even in the dead of winter. Your imagination could draw a comical picture of this, but it's so frightening when it's happening.

WendyI
May 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I have read that you should actually drink water as this is supposed to relax the muscle spasm...but I couldn't imagine him trying to do that. Did you know it can also be caused by acid reflux? It is incredibly scarey!

bubba
May 27th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I have a spasming esophagus....I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but it is noisy and quite painful. When it first started, about 13 years ago, I thought I was having a heart attack and we rushed to the ER. They thought I was too, until they gave me nitro and hooked me up to all their bells and whistles. Took several hours to figure out what it was. Have to be careful about what I eat, ie no spicy foods and limited alcohol, but other than that I can normally keep it under control.

MRoy
May 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I have read that you should actually drink water as this is supposed to relax the muscle spasm...but I couldn't imagine him trying to do that. Did you know it can also be caused by acid reflux? It is incredibly scarey!

DH tries to drink water sometimes. He also has acid reflux so it could be related to what he ate earlier that night. The episode doesn't last very long (thank goodness), but when it's happening it seems so much longer than it really is. I really understand how scared you both were. You want to help him but you don't know if there's anything you can do. I hope your DH doesn't have any more episodes so you don't need a "system" for dealing with it.

K. McEuen
May 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I have a friend who has this happen once in a while. She punches herself in the chest right below where the collarbone meets a few times and it seems to loosen up. I'm surprised that she doesn't end up bruised because she hits pretty hard, but she never has and it seems to work for her.

lilmouse
May 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I get vocal chord spasm, can't breathe in; can only cough out, very frightening....Doctor suggested several times a day to breathe as if I was bringing in air through a straw....so far haven't had as bad a spell as the first one but it was very scary! I have had this all my life and didn't know it...thought I had choked!

New York Sue
May 27th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Way back when, pediatricians used to suction newborns airways and nostrils AGGRESIVELY after a cesarean.
Seen more than one laryngeospasm in my day. Enough!
I would HIGHLY suggest a sleep study....

bakermom
May 27th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Wow, never heard of this! That's got to be terrifying.

turena65
May 27th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Way back when, pediatricians used to suction newborns airways and nostrils AGGRESIVELY after a cesarean.
Seen more than one laryngeospasm in my day. Enough!
I would HIGHLY suggest a sleep study....
Sue...I was actually going to suggest the same thing. My husband used to do this frequently in the middle of the night, so much time would lapse between snores that he would wake up gasping for air and send him into a laryngospasm. I convinced him to go in for a sleep study, and he was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Now he uses a c-pap while he sleeps, but hasn't had a laryngospasm since. That was 7 years ago! Good luck Wendy.

WendyI
May 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM
That's interesting...I couldn't find that in my research but that would make perfect sense. I have sleep apnoea and sleep with a c-pap also. I was walking up 86 times / hour....yeah I was TIRED! But never had this happen ever. However, I will get him to mention this to the doctor when he goes tomorrow. I have actually been asking him to go and get tested because he does snore somewhat and is tired all the time. He blames his tiredness on getting up at 4:30 a.m. and going to bed at 9:30 or 10....which could be partially to blame but I think a sleep study is definitely in order. Thanks for mentioning this!!

WendyI
May 27th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Wow, never heard of this! That's got to be terrifying.

It is incredibly terrifying for the victim....and equally so for the person watching them experience it. It's such a horrible, helpless feeling and the look of terror on his face is really hard to see. He said he thinks its probably what drowning would feel like. ***shudder***

I hope he gets it figured out...I'm so thankful my son didn't wake up to witness it. His room is right next to ours. Thankfully he slept through it. Not something I'd want for him to see. Very terrifying.

middlesis1966
May 27th, 2013, 11:54 PM
"Wow that is scarey. I sure would freak out for sure if my man had that happen . I'm glad that you are able to stay clear headed and get him through it.

janluna
May 28th, 2013, 12:57 AM
You did the right thing, going outside into night air. It helps the spasm. That is what we were told to do as EMT's. For this and Whooping cough on kids. Take them outside. Just watch in case you need an ambulance. Look for fingernail beds turning blue, lips, face, etc. If it doesn't clear up within 5 to 7 minutes, start an ambulance in your direction. They won't care that you called because it is better and safer if the EMT's and/or Paramedics are there. Just in case. The patient can always refuse treatment, and send them back to base. That is, when they are sure you are over the episode. Sending Hugs and Prayers, Jan L.

SisterDi
May 28th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I have had this, and it is terrifying! Even more so because my left vocal fold is paralyzed, and I have an implant there which I cannot control, it only allows me to speak. The video you posted was made by the same doctor who performed my surgery, Dr. Robert Bastian of Bastian Voice Institute. I'd be in a terrible mess if it weren't for him and his partners.