PDA

View Full Version : Monday - a new week

Blondie
May 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Happy Monday Folksies!
Today our holiday actually continues. We grilled out yesterday evening and plan on doing it again today! YAY. Yesterday we had a lot of peeps over. Today, not as many; perhaps just Sis and BIL, plus the newlyweds. That means I will have to clean the bathroom again; probably sweep the floors and damp mop again, too. Good grief. A woman's work is never done.

Not much sewing done; I did sit and hand stitch a wee bit; I need to plan some sewing time with Dinah the Kitty soon. It is very difficult for me to sit and sew when the weather is as lovely as it has been. Cool mornings and evenings, sunny days. I will say that the mornings have been downright chilly - on Saturday morning in the high 30's - but heckfire - we didn't get the freeze or snow that some of y'all had. Just nice sweater weather.

Hubs is home for a few weeks. I am thinking of trying to talk him into going for a walk in the woods today. It's right squatchy out there . . .

Enjoy your day! Blessings, prayers, hugs to all. Smile because you remember how to.

Blondie

Bubby
May 27th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Good Morning!

I'm up and running with scissors already!! Jeff is sleeping in a little on his day off. I smell coffee wafting in from the kitchen, so the new coffeemaker with the auto feature is working. We have Panera bagels so you know what I will be having for my breakfast again today.

We're having glorious weather...absolutely fantastic! I'm cooking for a gang today. We will be grilling ribs, lemon chicken and steaks. Jeff LOVES to host parties....he could have been an event planner. I prefer small groups where you can actually have meaningful conversations. The gals will want to see all my new quilts and i have none this time! I guess they will get to see my UFOs!

Our garden is doing well. Tomorrow I plan to spend another day at the old house painting. I have lots of trim work to do.

Today is the last day of the long weekend...enjoy every minute of it!

Smilin' in Missouri....Barb

CountryHut
May 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
G'morning ..

after a WEEK long task of full filling an apron and banner/bunting order -- my eyes are still seeing red/white gingham and with smiling picnic ants .. *ugh*~ . . I spent most of the weekend catching up on some rest that I missed out on - I crammed a 2 week job into 5 days -- the lady that placed the order at the last minute -- she doesn't know - that I know that she's a wife of an NBA player . . *snickering*~ . .
I mean when someone orders 20 aprons and 2 - 50 bunting/banners and 2 - 30 foot bunting/banners -- I google them --
well, I didn't have them much fabric on hand to fulfil the order - so I spent 5 hours running from one store to another -- now I have plenty on hand . L*~ . .
so I asked the buyer if she was having a cooking class or were the aprons for a catering group -- well it turns out that she is having and ---- end of school year picnic for her sons and his class--- and the aprons were gifts for the kids moms . .
*smacking forehead*~ . .. thats to many youngins for me to handle . . LOL*~ . . especially at one time . . .
well she rec'd her order in time for the party that she's having today . . . and is happy with everything and the special packaging I did on the aprons -- even gave her matching red/white gingham gift tags -
the hubby felt so bad for me and seen how exhausted I was - he decided to take us off for a night out - we went off to dinner with xSIL and her hubby -- and ladies let me tell you . . I am soooooo proud of my hubby -- ever since the Gulf War -- at times - it's like fighting my own battle to get him to out to dinner -- he doesn't like to be in enclosed building --
we all first started out at The Maritime Museum of Amelia Island -- www.ameliaresearch.com -- a group of us are making a investment for sunken treasures from the San Miguel- and one of the coolest part of this venture - we get to participate in the search - we will be able to spent time on the ship during the expeditions -- a one time investment is a lifetime investment -- where as any investment with Mel Fisher was a yearly commitment -
anyway -- if anyone is interested -- check out the link above -- all contracts are to be sign/sealed and delivered before it leaves out this friday . . who knows . . we might be rich one day . .

- so now the hubby is off to work - fur babies are back in their beds - and I get to play on my embroidery machine this morning before getting ready to head out to the part of the world for a Memorial Day gathering . .

I wish everyone a safe and wonderful Memorial Day - in remembrance of our pass - our present - and our Future - serving Soldiers

RFREE
May 27th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Good Mornin Ladies and Gents. Today I head out to go camping for a week. Me and my DD will go it alone. The DH said he just don't care about it anymore. So off we will go about noon.I hope the mosquitoes don't eat us alive. I also purchased my fishing license and am ready to rock and roll on that. That is if my back and neck will let me.I have been in some terrible pain lately. Doesn't matter what I do or don't do anymore,just hurts ALLLLL the time. I got in my sewing room yesterday and made a huge tote for our bathroom stuff when we go to the shower house at the campground. Good thing is I made it out of 2 old american flags we had hanging out in our front yard. I knew I was collecting them for a reason.Nothing to brag about but I think they look cool.I will try and post pictures in a little bit.
Yall have a great day!
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

bkthomas
May 27th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Good Morning Blondie and all......I love the little message today...reminds me of when in the third grade in social studies....learning about Salt Lake....and thinking about who I might grow up and marry(as most young girls do).....thinking, there might be someone in Salt Lake City that I don't even know and doesn't know I even exist, and some day we will meet and I will marry him.....well, low and behold...yup, that's just what happened! Weird, I know.....and tomorrow my DD and grand-kids are going to visit him at the City Cemetary...yes I know he's not there but the flags they put out are an impressive site to see!
No, I am not going, DD's MIL is going with (been there-done that) once was enough.
So I wish you all a pleasant day!

shermur
May 27th, 2013, 08:05 AM
48215Mornin', darlins! A day to remember our fallen that gave their lives for our freedom! A day to remember those that shared our lives and are no longer with us. Hubby is coaching bracket games in softball tourney today; I might go, but the sewing room is too tempting. More training with puppy, Dottie (she's coming along so well). What I wish I could do, is drive a couple of hours and visit family plots, especially my Mother's. I haven't been down to the cemetary in quite a while.....it's still hard to believe this past December marked 10 years that my Mother passed away at 58. My youngest daughter was 2 when Mom died and always has questions about Grandma Barbara. So, when I bought my daughter her sewing machine recently; I explained to my daughter that life was repeating itself. That my Mother taught me to sew and I am teaching her. My Mother would be proud......

Monique
May 27th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Good morning friends. What a weekend. I have an absolutely wonderful time at the retreat. A few faces I knew and more new ones. What a great group! I did get to finish a couple of simple projects and one lady showed me quickly how to applique the pattern I had brought with me. My son and daughter-in-law brought us Jersey and we ended up with an impromptu dinner party. Our friends also had steak to BBQ and the next thing you know we have a party. Oh my were the steaks good. Kids left and Roxy cried when she left, which made me cry too. Jersey slept with us last night. We have gone out for our morning walk already. I hope to walk her later if the the bugs aren't bad.

Have a wonderful and safe holiday today friends.

Mpyles
May 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Good morning!

Sounds like everyone is having a great holiday weekend!

Not a lot going on here, I have to work today so off I go in a bit. I will be feeding all the weary travelers who are hungry!
It will be busy, but the day should go by quickly. I have building blocks club tonight so it will be late before I get back home.
I am hoping to get a 2 hour window of time between work and club to run an errand or two. Yesterday dd and I did a little shopping. I woke up with quite a tummy ache so it took me a while to get moving but we got some done, had lunch out and then I even had time to go by one of the LQS on my way home. I did buy some really cool "school days" fabric that I am going to make a little tote out of and give to my niece who is a kindergarten teacher.

Well....I don't really want to get a move on...but I must...

Everyone have a great day!!!

Ginny B
May 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Good Morning all. Beautiful sunny morning today! No rain, no wind --- just sunshine and birds singing. I think we will be outside a lot today. DH and I will do some planting. We had that on the schedule for Saturday but the nasty cold rainy day changed those plans. And yesterday we had planned to go into Brooklyn for a visit with sons but those plans changed too. #1 son called and said that he was not feeling good at all. He has gastro problems that the dr.s haven't actually diagnosed exactly what it is yet but it has been acting up recently. I am concerned since he isn't working and has no insurance. And, his depression is showing it's ugly head more this week too. Last few weeks were pretty good but for whatever reason, not so much right now. We have postponed our visit until next Sunday. And the weather looks like it may be better then too. So, here is hoping he starts feeling better this week.

So, since we were home yesterday instead of out all day, you would think that I would have gotten something done either in the yard or the sewing room. Well, no. In fact I am not really sure just what I did accomplish yesterday. I did go to Joann's and get some foam and material to make a few cushions for an old metal glider that I got from my cousin (it doesn't glide anymore though :( ) and picked up a box of crayons so I can work on some crayon/coloring book totes I want to make. DH got some trimming and mowing done and I did help him trim some branches but I didn't really accomplish too much at all. Oh, I did finish one more cotton knitted dishcloth for someone who ordered 9 of them (3 down, 6 to go).

So, today, we will head outside after breakfast and play in the dirt for a while. DH has ribs ready to be smoked so dinner is covered. I may get into my sewing room for a while today --- at least I hope so. Got a lot of things on my "To Do" list for sure.

I hope everyone has a terrific day. Enjoy the parades and bbq's happening all over the country.

Ginny B

MRoy
May 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Good morning! I'll be sewing some, but mostly just chillin'. DH is farming today but we'll grill burgers for supper so we can say we had a holiday cook-out. I'm already not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow...65 days and counting down.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 27th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Good morning all! Blondie, that saying you posted has gotten me to thinking and asking the following question--when and where?

I hope to get my chevron quilt completed this morning and if I have the stamina get it on the longarm for quilting. My plan, let's see if it pans out.

I had my grandkids here yesterday, and since they are here often and on a regular basis, I decided to replace their little falling apart scooters with bikes. We had the time yesterday to do a little bit of shopping for new bikes, and we found some nice ones at Target at a price I was willing to pay. I live on a court, so they can ride up and down the street, and if I get ambitious and pump up the tires on my bike, we can all take a bike trail to the park that is one mile away, where there is a lovely 3/4 mile loop driveway, where many people walk and ride and skate and unfortunately, also drive! But if they get tired of riding, they can play on the playgrounds there, which is something we often do, but travel in the car to get there. It will take a bit of doing to get to the beginning of the bike trail, as the 1/4 mile between my house and the trailhead are on a very busy street with very narrow sidewalks, so I have to think this one through! Just a thought, though!

Got my pillow cases made for the chevron quilt when it gets finished, they are already on the bed. I'll take pictures when and if I get it done. If not, I have a double slice patriotic quilt I made last year that I can throw on the bed to salute the red, white and blue!

Have fun today with your barbeques. I opened up my grill for the first time yesterday in over a year, I didn't grill once last year. It still works and was easy to clean up, but I just grilled hot dogs, does that count? I'm not counting on any guests for dinner, so a "big meat" meal isn't on my agenda or on my grill list for today. Maybe I'll look for a little steak that I can grill to have a nice meal.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day, and thank a service man or woman for their service, and a veteran for his or her former service to our country. Fly your flags and enjoy!

pcbatiks
May 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good morning..........Diane, we stayed at a great B & B in Amelia Island a couple of years ago. That is a pretty area. And Monique....is that you having fun with the family fur babies...........good for you! Rhonda I hope your back feels better soon.

Hope everyone has a great day with friends and family.

aliaslaceygreen
May 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Good Morning! I am Laylabug-less as her daddy is off today... so--- I need to finish that last section of New Orleans vacation photos, go to the store and buy the paint for the bathroom and settle on floor tiles, and plant some geraniums... after that, the idea is 18 holes at the mini golf place!!! And then, of COURSE, icecream afterwards!!!

Take care, all!

MayinJerset
May 27th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Good Morning All, No BBQ today but we did enjoy our first one of 2013 at DS#1's yesterday when we met our new great grandson George for the first time. He's such a little cutie, did the usual 11 day olds stuff, eat, spit up a bit and then back to sleep. Hope to have some photos online soon.

Today I'll finish George's little baby quilt and maybe start on some string blocks to use up my scrap stash that has gotten out of hand recently. No BBQ planned for DH and I today, he's not so keen on BBQing. Hot dogs and burgers are all I let him do as he tends to burn anything else to a crisp. Defrosting some boneless chicken breasts and will try them with a Italian Herb Philadelphia Cooking Creme I bought last week to make a Chicken Primavera w/ Pasta. Enjoy you day whatever your plans are, May

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Listening to the rumble and grumble of a late Spring thunderstorm. Everything looks so fresh and clean after the rains. I am sure, from looking at the weather map, that we are in for a dark and dreary day but we will make the best of it.

We've had a rascally raccoon coming around every night - which drives the dogs and cats up the wall. Last night Al set a Hav-a-heart trap (he nabs them and then delivers them to a wooded river bank about 10 miles away . . . so they can pester other people's pets) and first thing we caught was one of the cats. Socks spent the night in the trap (after enjoying his feast of canned tuna which was used to lure him in) and got drenched with the early morning rains. Wonder if he learned his lesson?

Who knows what I will accomplish today. Managed to get our MBR and bath cleaned yesterday, made a trip out for a quiet lunch and some minor grocery shopping, and then had one of the girls help tackle the debris they have managed to lose in the sofa - amazing what things grow there.

I hope that everyone remembers why they have this day to celebrate. Pray for those who put themselves in harms way to provide our freedoms.

CrazyMtnLady
May 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Good Morning everyone. It is a very beautiful morning here. The birds are singing and the sun is shining. Going to cook out today for just the two of us. Life is good!

I got a phone call yesterday from an old high school pal that I have stayed in touch with. Infact DH is a good friend of her husband. They live next to DH's brother in Indiana. They were traveling down to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and then going over to Yellville, Arkansas to look at property. They wanted to know if they could stop by yesterday for a visit since they were going to be passing close by. I gave them directions and we had a wonderful visit. It will be nice if they move down this way. Yellville is only about an hour and a half away.
I did a mad dash housecleaning since they were up near St Louis when they called and I knew I had about 3 hours to clean. :)

We are going to town tomorrow so DH can get his prescriptions refilled so he doesn't run out while he is in Michigan. I am going to get his clothes and essentials packed up today and tomorrow and I believe he will be leaving on Wednesday. He is planning on spending a night or two with his oldest brother in Indiana before going to Lansing.

My mind is racing as to what I want to sew first when I am all alone and can do what I want. I think I am going to work on my Spring gift for the SSS.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

WendyI
May 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Morning all...Monday...uhg. Why do things always go wrong on a Monday!? So yes, work is grueling this morning. Lots of problems on not much sleep. My DH had a laryngospasm (pronounces LA-Ringo-spasm) at midnight last night...it was NOT fun. It's when your larynx spasms and closes...so you can breath out but not in. It's horrifying to experience I'm sure and almost as horrifying to watch. The first time it happened I actually called 911. They could hear him in the background whooping for air and sent an ambulance right away. He had been sick and had taken a lot of Vitamin C and they thought that had dried him out...as it had passed by the time they got there. I figured a person can go without air for about 2 min. before they just pass out and it'll take 5 min for the ambulance to get there, so I called. Felt bad but relieved.

However, this time he isn't sick...it just happened. After a lot of searching online we found a video that describes it perfectly so we know this is what he had. He's still going to the doc but we're pretty confident this is what it was. It is incredibly terrifying...and of course then you don't want to or can't go back to sleep. Needless to say we are both quite tired today.

Weekend camping went well, trailer functions great....and we had an enjoyable time...cooked "big meat" to use Jean's most excellent phrase, over an open fire...SOOO GOOD! Didn't get quite as much homework done as I would have liked but I'm still on track so it's good.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Claire Hallman
May 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Fun day so far. I went to Zumba this morning and on the way home I spied two iron sewing machine bases on the side of the road with other junk on top. Came right home, got my DH and went back to get them. We loaded them up in the mini wagon I have but the hatch would not close, just had about 3 blocks to go so we left it open. We managed to get home but coming up our drive they tumbled out of the back. One was in such rotten shape it just crumbled but the other one just lost a few small parts and the concrete top came off. We put the crumbled one back on the street but the other one is in my back yard and will become a potting bench. Unfortunately they were both in pretty bad shape but that is why they were kicked to the curb, LOL
We are putting some rib tips on the grill later and I have broccoli salad to make but it will be just the two of us for dinner. ;) Pretty quiet around here the rest of the day.

shannonsaulter
May 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
GM all happy memorial day!! Take a moment to think why we get that 3 day weekend...
Our family is military so its a special time..unfortunately I am working its my Thursday at work...
I have got a bit of hand sewing done on a SS project and am ready to get my seeing room back in order but oh
my DH was supposed to het my shelves done but he wasn't feeling good so my rooms a wreck...
Have a great day all..

shermur
May 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I heard this morning on my radio in the sewing room and I had to pause listening to the words....this is what today is all about...take a listen....

http://cmn.to/10XGe5o

Mrs.Sew&Sew
May 27th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hey all was hoping to do yard work today. But after replacing the battery still a no go. Anyway thanks to all who have served, are serving, or will serve Thank You!
Have a great day!