PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you ask for...

Fabriclovr
May 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Be careful what you ask for at Joann's. Get this one....

As long as I have been shopping at Joann's, when you get to the end of the bolt, you ask for an end of the bolt discount or the clerk will ask you if you want the remnant at 50% off.. same thing.

I was shopping a couple of days ago and picked up a blot that had just a couple of yards on it. It was on sale, so I figured, what the heck, nice stash build. So I told the girl that I would take what was left.. ok so far.. but get this, when she undid the fabric and measured it, there was about a half yard left. This makes it a legitimate end of bolt or remnant because it is under 1 yard. So I casually asked her "So do I get the end of the bolt discount?" You know what her answer was? Hope your sitting down, she said, and I quote

Clerk - Did you ask me for what was left?
Me - Yes, I did. Why?.
Clerk - Then I can't give you the end of the bolt discount.
Me - (puzzled look on face) Why?
Clerk - Because you asked me to give you what was left on the bolt. If you had asked me for 2 yards, I could then ask you if you wanted the rest at 50% off, but because you asked for everything left, I cant.
Me - Ok, fine, its on sale anyway, so there wouldn't be much more than .25 cents saving.

Now if they are trying to drive away their loyal customers by nit picking over semantics... they are going to get a lot of quilters upset and go elsewhere. Hobby Lobby is just down the street by 2 blocks, I might start shopping there!

So moral of the story, be careful what you ask for at Joann's, upper management is micromanaging!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 26th, 2013, 08:31 PM
So, go over in a corner and measure it yourself, then roll it back on the bolt and ask for 7/8 of a yard less than is on there. Don't they discount the end of bolt if it is less than a yard left? That has been my experience. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, it just depends how you play the game! They are making up the rules, often as they go along!

bubba
May 26th, 2013, 08:42 PM
:note to self: - carry tape measure in pocket when going to Joanns and find an unfilmed corner to hide in as I unwind bolts to check yardage...:icon_heh::icon_heh::icon_heh:

Sharyn J
May 26th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I'm still annoyed at Joanns. I was there 2 weeks ago and wanted 3 1/2 yards. When she unrolled the fabric, there were 2 pieces. The first piece measured 1 3/4 yds. and second piece was the same plus 4 inches. Since the fabric was on sale and I liked the color, I figured I'd just piece the pieces together.

Imagine my surprise when she measured the second piece, and before I could say anything, she quickly took out her scissors and cut off the extra 4 inches! Didn't ask me if I wanted it or not. Now what do you think Joann's is going to do with that 4 inches of fabric? I was dumbfounded and haven't been back there since!

K. McEuen
May 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM
It all depends on which girl I get at the Joann's by me. Some will measure out my fabric, see that the end is going to be a remnant, ask if I want it, when I say yes, they measure back 7/8 of a yard and mark that much as the remnant, giving me the largest discount they can. Others just give what is left at remnant price, and then there are those that never ask and just whack it off and toss it aside.

Fabriclovr
May 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
And then there is the girl at Hobby Lobby.. I asked for 3 yards and the way she measured it.. I got home with 3 1/2! I like her :)

New York Sue
May 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Mmmm...
I was at Hobby Lobby last week and asked for a yard of fabric. When she opened the bolt, there was a 1.5 yard piece that had aleady been cut. She gave me the cut piece, and charged me for the yard...

kelliedi
May 26th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I'm sure everyone knows this but will say it anyway..... How to tell approx. how much is left on the bolt.... for every two folds on the end = 1yrd. approx. so now that you know this you can plan accordingly

bakermom
May 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM
It all depends on which girl I get at the Joann's by me. Some will measure out my fabric, see that the end is going to be a remnant, ask if I want it, when I say yes, they measure back 7/8 of a yard and mark that much as the remnant, giving me the largest discount they can. Others just give what is left at remnant price, and then there are those that never ask and just whack it off and toss it aside.
That's what I've found too.
Although the last time I grabbed a bolt that didn't have much on it (it was the color I needed) and when the clerk measured it there was about 1/2 a yard left. She asked if i wanted it then said"is this what you were hoping would happen?" I said, "no, I was just hoping there would be enough for what i needed" i wonder now if i had said yes if she would have still discounted the remnant?

Janet J
May 26th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm so frustrated with our Joann's because it is always so disorganized that you can't find anything. Right before Christmas they totally remodeled the store. New fixtures and all. It was really nice everything organized and they added additional help. Within a month the fabric section was a wreck again. I have gotten so frustrated I've started looking at hobby lobby first. Just an FYI, If you need several yards of one cut of fabric they will let you use your 40% off coupon instead of taking the 30% off that their fabric is always marked. You just have to tell them when they do your ticket.

New York Sue
May 26th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I've been going to a tiny shop in a town near me. They don't have a ton of fabric, but what they do have is high quality. And they are MORE than happy to cut a FQ off the bolt. They rotary cut and always throw in an inch or two more....

asta
May 26th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Be careful what you ask for at Joann's. Get this one....

As long as I have been shopping at Joann's, when you get to the end of the bolt, you ask for an end of the bolt discount or the clerk will ask you if you want the remnant at 50% off.. same thing.

I was shopping a couple of days ago and picked up a blot that had just a couple of yards on it. It was on sale, so I figured, what the heck, nice stash build. So I told the girl that I would take what was left.. ok so far.. but get this, when she undid the fabric and measured it, there was about a half yard left. This makes it a legitimate end of bolt or remnant because it is under 1 yard. So I casually asked her "So do I get the end of the bolt discount?" You know what her answer was? Hope your sitting down, she said, and I quote

Clerk - Did you ask me for what was left?
Me - Yes, I did. Why?.
Clerk - Then I can't give you the end of the bolt discount.
Me - (puzzled look on face) Why?
Clerk - Because you asked me to give you what was left on the bolt. If you had asked me for 2 yards, I could then ask you if you wanted the rest at 50% off, but because you asked for everything left, I cant.
Me - Ok, fine, its on sale anyway, so there wouldn't be much more than .25 cents saving.

Now if they are trying to drive away their loyal customers by nit picking over semantics... they are going to get a lot of quilters upset and go elsewhere. Hobby Lobby is just down the street by 2 blocks, I might start shopping there!

So moral of the story, be careful what you ask for at Joann's, upper management is micromanaging!

Same thing happened to me about a month ago.
Beth

dwil23
May 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
It all depends on the clerk. There is one at my Joann's that automatically straightens the edge - cutting off up to 2" of fabric and tossing it. Ugh, how about just leaving it attached and start measuring where there the full width of the fabric starts? Others automatically ask if you want what's left and some will just cut it without asking. Let's just say I have my favorite clerks at Joanns.

aqua-teal71
May 27th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I go to two different Joanns. Most of the time, i have had no problem. But I will watch this from now on.

lilmouse
May 27th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Corporate policy states the clerk must trim up the edge of the bolt; it is later measured and recorded; if they get caught not doing this they can be fired.....just saying....that's what I was taught when I worked at JoAnn's and no I no longer work there....not worth the gas for four hours every other week...not my idea of a part time job!

rebeccas-sewing
May 27th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I would've been tempted to say "No thanks." Come back later with a different shift of employees and get it with the additional discount. That would really aggravate the heck out of me. I guess that's very petty of me but sometimes it's the principle.

I can't get over the cutting off of 4 inches!!!!! Does this person not have a brain?

WVGranny
May 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I have noticed a big change in the customer service at JoAnn's over the last year, even some of those that have been there for many years seem to not have time to deal with the customers.

Iris Girl
May 27th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I don't go to our Joann's much, not because I don't like them our manager in our store is great and the girls all know me well, but since I used to work for the viking gallery there and she is a class A WITCH with *b* and she was mouthy and nasty when I gave notice I just don';t go there. petty of me I guess but I don't like the drama she makes